E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Oil Filler Cap and Power Steering Reservoir Cap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Oil Filler Cap and Power Steering Reservoir Cap

Interesting experience last Saturday at my MB Dealer Parts Dept. I went in to buy a new Power Steering Reservoir Cap for my 2003 E500 since I noticed some fluid residue forming on the reservoir.........had to replace the cap on my 2004 Volvo S60 too for the same reason.....they just eventually loose their pressure holding capability. The Parts Dept was out of stock so they had to order it. While there, I also decided to buy a couple of rubber gaskets for my oil filler cap since my new independent Volvo mechanic (he's from Sweden and repaired Volvos there too) recommends changing the gaskets on the oil filler cap with each oil change to prevent oil residue getting on the engine.......he also recommends changing the metal gasket on the oil plugs at each oil change, too, to prevent oil leaks. I noticed recently there is some oil residue forming around my engine from the filler cap. Well, to my surprise, the MB Dealer Parts Dept catalog doesn't offer the rubber gaskets for the oil filler cap........the only part listed on the display is for the entire oil filler cap with the new gasket on it. I know you can replace the gasket since I saw them for sell at the AllMercedes.com Website. Guess Mercedes thinks the only approach needed is to buy the new oil filler cap for $11................I'll buy the oil filler cap gaskets at my local AdavanceAutoParts store.