E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Brake Caliper Painting Project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Brake Caliper Painting Project

The rusty condition of my brake calipers, especially the bolts, has bugged me for some time........my car is over six years old and rusty calipers happen. So, I completed each of the four wheels one day at a time using items bought from AdvanceAutoParts store: Purple Power De-Ruster; Spray can of brake cleaner; Dupli-Color Silver Spray Paint; brush applicator and small wire brushes. The De-ruster takes an hour to work and I did several applications including using the wire brushes to remove rust and grit.......also applied it on the wheel hub and rusty area around the rotor hub. Then spray cleaned the entire area with the caliper brake cleaner, let dry. Used rags and paper towels to cover the caliper and rotor areas I didn't want paint on......I only painted the front and sides of the calipers, obviously not the back parts not visible. A lot of work over 2-3 hours each wheel, especially jacking the car up, taking wheel off, doing the de-rusting, cleaning and painting and then reinstalling wheel.......decided to get a 12v. electric wheel lug wrench ($90) for easy wheel removal and torque wrench ($25) to ensure I only applied the 95 ft pds torque on the wheel bolts.......tools I can always use on all my vehicles. Wheels now look great......see photo.
Attached Thumbnails Brake Caliper Painting Project-pict0123.jpg  

Last edited by mcleantmw; 04-26-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-27-2009, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Nice

Came out really good. Have been thinking about buying those new E350 calipers with the 2 big bolts and replacing my nasty stock e320 ones and getting the solid caliper on the backs and painting both of them. Something blueish maybe.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Nice

Came out really good. Have been thinking about buying those new E350 calipers with the 2 big bolts and replacing my nasty stock e320 ones and getting the solid caliper on the backs and painting both of them. Something blueish maybe.
Yes, it certainly would be easier to paint a set of new calipers prior to installing them. When my rotors are due for replacement, I may consider just getting new calipers and doing that.........not sure what other caliper options to consider but I did see, for example, on the GetMercedesParts.com Website that E55 caliper prices are quite a bit more than E500 ones.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by mcleantmw
Yes, it certainly would be easier to paint a set of new calipers prior to installing them. When my rotors are due for replacement, I may consider just getting new calipers and doing that.........not sure what other caliper options to consider but I did see, for example, on the GetMercedesParts.com Website that E55 caliper prices are quite a bit more than E500 ones.
Yes, the AMG 8 piston ones are waaaayyyyy more expensive. However, the 500 series 4 piston one is really good. The 320's came with 2 piston and they don't look nice, that's why I want to change them. The newer 4 piston ones (2 larger bolts instead of 4 smaller ones) is the one I want to get, looks bigger too.