E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

03 E500 Climate Control Display Fix - Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
03 E500 Climate Control Display Fix - Lessons Learned

I want to share the very challenging problem I had with my display for my climate control unit (Heating-A/C unit). About 9 months ago the display became stuck in the Night Mode.......you could read it at night but not during the day. I found a posting on this forum after doing a search that this display is controlled by the Rain-Light Sensor (RLS) that's at the inside top of the windshield......it controls the rain sensing wipers and the climate control display. I took my vehicle in for regular service and asked them to fix the display. Just before that, the wipers wouldn't work in the rain-sensing mode and I suggested to my MB SA that it may need a new sensor. They replaced the sensor but on the display issue, the "fix" was they re-set the dash lights. Of course, that didn't fix the climate control display. I wanted another five months and the aggrivation of not being able to read the display and took my car in for a oil change and again asked them to fix the display......this time I printed out a diagram of the RLS system from my MB WIS system on my home computer and told my SA that this was a repeat problem.......that they didn't fix my display from my last visit. Needless to say, when I picked up the vehicle the climate control display was still stuck in the Night Mode and the "fix" listed on my paperwork was that they had Re-set the dash light system. The next morning I went back to them and raised cain! They immediately took the car in and it came back in 5 minutes.....said it needed a software download that fixed the display. Sorry for the lengthy story, but it was very frustrating that no one had verified they had actually "fixed" the problem, a lack of QC, especially after I told my SA this was a Repeat problem (they failed to fix it the previous visit). I was so mad I talked with the Service Manager and he said they were instituting a new QC process to verify the "fix" when customers come back with a Repeat problem. Anyway, if anyone with the older 2003 Es with the climate control display problem, the fix is either the wire connection from the RLS to the display is broken or do a software update.
The following users liked this post:
sweseman (11-07-2021)
Old 04-30-2009, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Good info, thanks for sharing. I can only imagine the frustration.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E500 Wagon 2004 (2020 purchase fixer upper); E500 Sedan 2006 (2017); GLC43 AMG '17 Renntech
Thank youe for the hepful.post.

What an extremely helpful thank you. I of course need an intervention because I purchased a used 2004 e500 wagon and I'm having lots of fun with it. I mean I know the W210 was pretty bulletproof... and to be honest I regret not bidding higher on a nice w-210 wagon that was for sale on cars and bids. I wish I had a bigger garage because as much as I have enjoyed the hobby time recently I forwarded me to play with my w211.... I mean my 2006 Avalon got to 300,000 and I don't recall an unexpected maintenance item... yes I changed the struts and a few other things. But I've experienced the problem you're describing many times with great frustration. I'm glad that I love this wagon and it looks so good. Rather like having the 500 engine and the airmatic system .... but there are days when I kind of wish I had bought a used Corolla. Thank you again for taking time to describe the underlying issue with the problem. I would have posted my rebuild of the rear view mirror circuit board for the garage door opener but someone already did such an awesome job.... just joking a bit on a Sunday morning. Best wishes.

ps .... You know the 2006 Avalon ... wish I was sometimes embarrassed to drive because when I bought it I was a bit young.... well it didn't need a new transmission conductor plate !!!?