E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Transmission Malfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Transmission Malfunction

Weirdest thing. I tried to enter the freeway this evening only to find my RPM's close to redline. The car would not accelerate beyond 40 MPH. I tried double pumping the accelerator and nothing but high revs, also tried to manually downshift no luck. I finally pulled off to the shoulder of the freeway shutdown and restarted the car and everything was fine. This is a real concern. Has anyone else experienced this? I wasn't that concerned when the radio crapped out and shutting down booted it back up but messing with the acceleration is scary.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:36 AM

'03 E320
I have not had this type of problem.
Does sound serious, and safety issue, and suggest you have dealer check out immediately.
Good luck!
Old 02-06-2003, 05:01 AM
ICY
Almost a Member!

Get it checked out....

I had the same thing happen to my SLK a few years ago. Was accelerating off the lights, and trying not to let a Z3 cut in front of me.

Of course, that was easy, and the tranny didn't even need to shift into second. I guess I had the revs around 5,000 in 1st. However, to my embarassment, the car wouldn't shift into second, regardless of whether I took my foot of the gas or flooring it to redline. It just sat there on the rev-limiter, at 55 km/h, the Z3 obviously thinking I was holding him up on purpose.

I tried shifting the transmission manually, no luck. Eventually, like you, I had to pull over, and restart- no dramas ever since. Didn't even get it checked out.

My friend's W220 S430 also has had a similar problem- which required a brand new transmission at 450 kms.

However, I DO recommend you getting yours sent in for a look-see. It's a real safety issue IMHO.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:59 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
The transmission has a "limp-home" mode where it stays in second gear when it detects a fault in it's shift logic or other condition, so you can at least get to a safe spot. It will not shift up or down, only reverse. The first troubleshooting step is to stop for 10 seconds and restart. Most times that will cure it. You might want to have the dealer put it on the machine to read the codes if it happens. See manual p. 156
Old 02-06-2003, 06:52 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
I've been following stories like this...

and went to ask the dealer and service guys about these "issues". Reportedly, they have not had any "true" tranny problems. Shifting issues have been linked to inappropriate use by the driver, especially accidentally leaning on the shifter.

This really concerns me, but they assure me that the trannys have been fine...
Old 02-06-2003, 08:53 PM

Food for thought....

If I was at or near red-line and couldn't get over 40mph, I wouldn't try to DOWNshift...I'd try to shift UP a gear.

Are you sure that you didn't inadvertantly manually downshift by tapping the stick to your left...creating the high rpm situation when you tried to accelerate?
Old 02-06-2003, 10:09 PM

2003 E500
The car was in drive when this occured. It is currently at the dealership. I should know more on Friday.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:21 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
ffjxc... please keep us posted on your fix

I've heard of tranny shifting problems on the 211 several times now. I'm very interested in what the dealer finds on your car. I bet that the OBC will register "no faults".

Hmmm... I guess we'll see! Good luck!
Old 02-06-2003, 10:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Yes, that was limp-home mode.

I have had the same sort of tranny problems several times with my CLK55

A previous post of mine on the topic:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...t=transmission

As an sidenote, they replaced all the valve bodies on the fourth trip to the shop. It has not malfunctioned in a 1000 miles, but I would not bet money that the problem is fixed for good. They kept it three weeks and I authorized their head transmission guy to bring the car home with him and drive it alot in varying conditions to assist in diagnosis and repair.

What really pisses me off is that every time I bring it in, the service advisor starts off by telling me that it is possible that "I spilled something in the center console. You know they have all kinds of electronics and stuff in there." Come on...

Last edited by davidb; 02-06-2003 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:01 PM

2004 E500
Originally posted by davidb
What really pisses me off is that every time I bring it in, the service advisor starts off by telling me that it is possible that "I spilled something in the center console. You know they have all kinds of electronics and stuff in there." Come on...
Guys likes us dropping some serious $ on cars won't (or at least should not) be in a position to ever let something like that happen.

Now my 17 year old driving her '01 Corolla is another story
Old 02-09-2003, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
I was reading the E-Class Operator's Manual last night, and I don't know if this may be relevant or not:

Page 120--Tachometer
The red marking on the tachometer denotes excessive engine speed.

Avoid driving at excessive engine speeds, as it may result in serious engine damage that is not covered by the Mercedes-Benz Limited Warranty.

To help protect the engine, the fuel supply is interrupted if the engine is operated within the red marking.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:21 PM

2002 e430
i have about 8k on my 2002 e430.....took it it to the dealership b/c i kept having probs with my car not moving out of 2nd, they blamed it on the ECU. fixed it, (new ECU)

lastnight, again same prob.

i have to take it in 2day in order to get my tranny checked out.....

this is the second time i have had tranny probs with it, ....any suggs from you guys would really helpl.

this is my first post on this forum,.....

thanks,

oscar