E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Can you replace the top dash pad if airbag was deployed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
commuter
Can you replace the top dash pad if airbag was deployed?

I tried searching the forums but did not have any luck finding helpful info so I'm starting a new thread.

I was informed by a few people that the top dash can be replaced if the passenger airbag was deployed. However I was trying to locate the part on EPC net and could only find the part number for the entire bare dash which costs around $900+ at the dealer. Is this true?

If I can replace the top dash pad only I'm sure it would cost a lot less.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I did not check but it must be like you have figured out from EPC. If someone claims the pad only can be changed, they must be referring to some after market part. How could you install it anyway to make it look perfect (or even anything acceptable)?
Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
The plastic skin on the top of the dash was replaced under warranty in my car because it had started to crack by the windshield. I don't know what the part number is for it.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:10 PM

commuter
Yeah I'm getting mixed information from different people.

I just called a parts recycler that had a passenger airbag and "dash pad" or "dash cover" for sale and he said it's the top piece of the dash. However, he did not have the part number for it and it was not the color I'm looking for. Maybe it doesn't have a part number but can be removed from the dash itself?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:56 AM

commuter
got an answer

I finally found the answer (thanks daminchi ). I'll share it here to spread the knowledge. The answer is yes, the the top of the dash, also referred to as the "dash pad" or "dash cover", can be taken off and replaced. This whole time I assumed the top piece was the thing to replace but I called it the dash. I guess the correct name/term to use is "dash pad" or "dash cover" since it's not actually the entire dash.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
Originally Posted by et63
I finally found the answer (thanks daminchi ). I'll share it here to spread the knowledge. The answer is yes, the the top of the dash, also referred to as the "dash pad" or "dash cover", can be taken off and replaced. This whole time I assumed the top piece was the thing to replace but I called it the dash. I guess the correct name/term to use is "dash pad" or "dash cover" since it's not actually the entire dash.
how hard was it to install and do you have pics of how it came out when you were done?