E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

no airflow when fan is off?

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
no airflow when fan is off?

When I turn my recirculation off and my fan is completely off, I get no airflow going through the vents at any speed. On my wife's toyota, when I do this, air flows through quite a bit.

I just replaced my heat exchanger a few months ago thinking that it would fix this but still no luck.

How do I go about fixing this problem?

Additionally, when I turn on my fan with no ac I get somewhat of a warm air blowing regardless of the outside temperature.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 177 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Off means off.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 PM

so what's the purpose of item #13 in the photo? When I turn it off and have the fan on, shouldn't air be blowing at the temperature of the outside temperature?

I think I figured out my problem. My temperature sensor outside is not working.

Does anyone have instructions for this IE: location of the sensor etc..??

Last edited by dannieboiz; 06-04-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C63 P31 2021 GLC63s Coupe
You are not suppose to get air blowing in the cabin when you turn off the ac/fan in the car, considering how well engineered the system is and the location of the filter. Maybe if you are driving in a 100 mph hurricane...maybe.

The Toyota system your wife is driving is just a hole in the car therefore you get air flowing thru when you turn off the fan with recirculation off. Imagine what kind of dirt, debris and roden might be getting in thru that hole getting stuck in the filter and causing all kinds of aroma located just under the glove box...
Old 06-04-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by dannieboiz
so what's the purpose of item #13 in the photo? When I turn it off and have the fan on, shouldn't air be blowing at the temperature of the outside temperature?

I think I figured out my problem. My temperature sensor outside is not working.

Does anyone have instructions for this IE: location of the sensor etc..??

To my understanding, #13 is the "Recirculation" button. That means when your air conditioning system is on, when the red light is lit, air is taken from INSIDE THE CABIN, passed through the heating/cooling system, then expelled through your car's vents (ie: just recirculating your inside air). If the red light is off, then air is taken from OUTSIDE the car, passed through the heating/cooling system, then expelled through your car's vents.

If you want the car to blow air straight from outside the car WITHOUT heating/cooling it, then you need to turn OFF your "AC" switch, located on the right-half of your AC console (don't confuse this with your "OFF" button, which turns off the whole system and closes the air intakes). In older MB vehicles, it would be labeled "EC", and you will want to turn "EC" ON (red light lit) to blow air straight from outside the car.

Last edited by chokaay; 06-04-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by chokaay
To my understanding, #13 is the "Recirculation" button. That means when your air conditioning system is on, when the red light is lit, air is taken from INSIDE THE CABIN, passed through the heating/cooling system, then expelled through your car's vents (ie: just recirculating your inside air). If the red light is off, then air is taken from OUTSIDE the car, passed through the heating/cooling system, then expelled through your car's vents.

If you want the car to blow air straight from outside the car WITHOUT heating/cooling it, then you need to turn OFF your "AC" switch, located on the right-half of your AC console (don't confuse this with your "OFF" button, which turns off the whole system and closes the air intakes). In older MB vehicles, it would be labeled "EC", and you will want to turn "EC" ON (red light lit) to blow air straight from outside the car.
This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. I can be doing 100 down the road and I get no air. Even when I'm in the car wash and go through the blow drying and I test this and I still get no air.

BTW: When click #13 off (no light) along with the AC off on the right i still get no air. I've tried all combo.

This make the car very stuffy when all the air is sealed inside for too long. I don't think this is normal because every car I've had have some kind of air flow from the outside this way.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 PM

E350
This is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. I can be doing 100 down the road and I get no air. Even when I'm in the car wash and go through the blow drying and I test this and I still get no air.

BTW: When click #13 off (no light) along with the AC off on the right i still get no air. I've tried all combo.

This make the car very stuffy when all the air is sealed inside for too long. I don't think this is normal because every car I've had have some kind of air flow from the outside this way.

This may be different in older cars, but the AC should still be running (LED Display ON... does NOT say "OFF") even though your AC button is OFF (Red light OFF) and Recirculation Button is OFF (Red light OFF). You may also want to double-check the air flow direction setting by pressing the "Mode" button several times (I usually keep it on all 3 directions: Down Arrow + Right Arrow + Side Arrow).

If there still is NO airflow into your cabin if these 3 settings are acheived AND you double-checked the air flow direction setting, then there may be something wrong with your AC. You may want to drop by and have a dealership take a look.

Either that or wait for me to try and duplicate your situation tonight in my 2009 E350. I'll post the results tonight when I have a chance...
Old 06-05-2009, 12:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63

Off means OFF as lkchris said. This is how it's supposed to work and this is what normal should be like. The only car I've ever had that has airflow through the vents is my beater Saturn even when the system is off.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
This may be different in older cars, but the AC should still be running (LED Display ON... does NOT say "OFF") even though your AC button is OFF (Red light OFF) and Recirculation Button is OFF (Red light OFF). You may also want to double-check the air flow direction setting by pressing the "Mode" button several times (I usually keep it on all 3 directions: Down Arrow + Right Arrow + Side Arrow).

If there still is NO airflow into your cabin if these 3 settings are acheived AND you double-checked the air flow direction setting, then there may be something wrong with your AC. You may want to drop by and have a dealership take a look.

Either that or wait for me to try and duplicate your situation tonight in my 2009 E350. I'll post the results tonight when I have a chance...
He has everything HVAC off: fan speed zero, A/C off, recirculation off, etc. and he's complaining that no air is blowing through the vents.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:56 PM

yeah seeifu can dup the problem,thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by AsianML
He has everything HVAC off: fan speed zero, A/C off, recirculation off, etc. and he's complaining that no air is blowing through the vents.
obviously chookay understand what im trying to say. let me try this again.

1- fan off
2- recirculation off (no lights) this should open the vent that takes outside air into the car.
3- vent settings at singlearrow pointing at driver. this means air flow through all available vents except feet and windows.
4- manually closer rear
passengers vents to insure that all air direct to front vents only.
5- hit through freeway and do 100mph.

on every vehicle that i've driven, there is ALWAYS air that will flow through the vents this way. additionalily no matter where you have the setting for air flow there should always be air flowing into te cabin

if the benz are designed differently where as, the is actually flowing into the cabin by other means then this is water I want to confirm.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:26 PM

E350
5- hit through freeway and do 100mph.

Well, I'm not going to do 100mph on the freeway since I'm not through my break-in period yet. However, I will let you know if I feel any air coming through the vents at the speeds I'm willing to go at. If you need to go 100mph to feel wind coming through the vents, then you may need to find someone else to drive that fast and perform this "experiment"...
Old 06-05-2009, 04:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 C63 P31 2021 GLC63s Coupe
Well, I'm not going to do 100mph on the freeway since I'm not through my break-in period yet. However, I will let you know if I feel any air coming through the vents at the speeds I'm willing to go at. If you need to go 100mph to feel wind coming through the vents, then you may need to find someone else to drive that fast and perform this "experiment"...
You simply won't get air coming thru the vents with fan off even if you take off your hood drive 155mph you still won't get air in without the fan. Just look at how the air filter in your car is engineered with it's position and you will understand why. The benefit of the way it is located is you won't get any big debris, rodens stuck in there like a lot of Japanese cars do.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:27 PM

E350
obviously chookay understand what im trying to say. let me try this again.

1- fan off
Originally Posted by PartyVan
You simply won't get air coming thru the vents with fan off even if you take off your hood drive 155mph you still won't get air in without the fan.

Actually, I think there may be some miscommunication in this thread. With the settings I posted (AC System = ON, "AC" Button = OFF, "Recirculate" Button = OFF), the fan in the system STILL will be bringing in fresh air from outside the car.

The only way I know to turn the fan completely OFF is to turn the AC System = OFF (push the center "OFF" button below the LCD Display). This will turn off the whole system, and stop the fan. In this setting, it is normal to NOT get any air coming into the cabin from the outside.

Using the settings I posted, (AC System = ON, "AC" Button = OFF, Recirculate" Button = OFF), it's normal TO get fresh air coming into the cabin from outside at whatever temperature it is outside... since the fan is still turning (you don't have to drive 100mph).

Hope this helps!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:50 AM

Thanks for confirming this guys. Today what i tried to do is turn on the fan up just 1 bar and AC off and recirculation off. I first drove with all windows and sun roof closed and I get a "low air flow" the moment I open any windows or sunroof I can feel the air turn blow slightly stronger but not very strong.

the clean air is nice to have, but I find that it can get stuffy inside the car.

This is what I really like about the other cars, cause you can actually feel a slight breeze with no power to the climate control what so ever.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:34 PM

E350
Thanks for confirming this guys. Today what i tried to do is turn on the fan up just 1 bar and AC off and recirculation off. I first drove with all windows and sun roof closed and I get a "low air flow" the moment I open any windows or sunroof I can feel the air turn blow slightly stronger but not very strong.

the clean air is nice to have, but I find that it can get stuffy inside the car.

This is what I really like about the other cars, cause you can actually feel a slight breeze with no power to the climate control what so ever.

Well, from some other threads I've read, it may be possible to get your service advisor to find a tech to adjust the intake so that you get some airflow when the system is OFF. Obviously not all techs are willing to do this, nor know how to do this, but I've read at least one thread where the user had this done. Maybe you can ask your service advisor about this adjustment...

EDIT: Personally, I prefer the way that mercedes designed the AC system. If I wanted air through the vents, I'd turn the system on. If a big truck is in front of me, or I'm driving through an area with high pollutants or a funky smell, I'd turn the system off (or put it on recirculate)... and I expect that NO air from the outside would be coming into the cabin. Usually when I'm driving through traffic or wherever there are a lot of cars, I tend to keep the system on recirculate anyway (too bad MB didn't make it an option for the "Recirculate" Button to keep the LAST SETTING you had... why does it have to start from OFF everytime you turn off the AC system or turn off your car? )

Last edited by chokaay; 06-06-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:09 PM

Received 130 Likes on 105 Posts
20' RCF, 18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Glad I found this thread. I am with OP on this as I like having air being brought into the cabin without having the HVAC system on in any way. Many days I just have the temp setting set where I want and that outside air is coming in the cabin at that temp. It's quite nice actually. All of our Japanese vehicles do this. It prevents the "stuffy" feeling in the car yet still allows a slight airflow.

I've had Japanese cars all my life and never had rodents or crap get in the cabin "from the hole"...etc.

Seems a shame that you couldn't simply hit the recirculate button and have outside air start flowing in without having the system in the "on" state.

-Nigel