E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

When is the best time to pick up a leftover 09 E350?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997 TT
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Guys help me out here since I don't lease cars. How does cap cost relate to purchase price? This sounds like close to 20k off?
Taken from an online source:

Capitalization Cost (cap cost): The total price of the vehicle, which the lessor uses to calculate the amount that the customer will be paying. This is equivalent to the purchase price of a vehicle that's sold.

"When you and your dealer sit down and agree on a price for a leased car, this becomes the capitalized cost, or "cap cost." In a good lease deal, the cap cost will be significantly less than MSRP. Cap cost is sometimes called lease price.

"... It's in your best interest to always negotiate the lowest capitalized cost possible — a discount off the sticker price — just as if you were buying. The lower your cap cost, the lower your monthly lease payments will be.
Capitalized cost may also include certain fees, such as an acquisition fee (similar to mortgage "points" , or loan origination fee). Acquisition fees are typically not specified in lease contracts, so it's not readily apparent that you are paying it in your capitalized cost.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by soccerg201
If this is true that they got 35k off of an e63 then it makes me feel like an idiot. I could have had a 63 for the same price i paid for my 550. My cars msrp was 69,000 and I got 19500 off. But 5k was from the fleet discount. So i paid 50,000 for a loaded E550 and if my math is right 91000 for E63 -35000 is 56000 minus my fleet discount would be 51000.

Kind of depressing
Although I do really love the E550 traded in an 03 c240 and they are not even comparable.

Don't feel bad, I got 2 E350's at around $46K in May 2009, and they only have P1, 321 AMG Sport Package, Panoroof, and Parktronic (1 of them). Based on what you said, I could have had a FULLY LOADED E550 for $5K more (if I got the same fleet discount as you), and a FULLY LOADED E63 for a little more than that!

Yes, it sorta sucks... but as my friend told me, "DON'T wait for THE ULTIMATE DEAL/PRICE to come around, because there will ALWAYS be someone who gets a better deal than you in the future. You will NEVER be able to buy a car and be happy that way! Instead, set a price point where you're willing to buy the car at, and if the price you negotiate drops below that price, you buy. If not, you don't." When I bought my cars, the deals I got were the best at the time (in my area). Now it's not. HOWEVER, the cars I wanted dropped to a price where I was willing to buy it, so I did, and don't have any regrets (just a bit amazed and a little jealous at the "crazy" deals going around now... which will be overshadowed by even more "crazy" deals in the future).

So just be happy with your ride, and feel good knowing you got a "better" deal than I did (don't worry, I don't mind)!

Last edited by chokaay; 07-22-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 PM

GL550
Originally Posted by chokaay
Don't feel bad, I got 2 E350's at around $46K in May 2009, and they only have P1, 321 AMG Sport Package, Panoroof, and Parktronic (1 of them). Based on what you said, I could have had a FULLY LOADED E550 for $5K more (if I got the same fleet discount as you), and a FULLY LOADED E63 for a little more than that!

Yes, it sorta sucks... but as my friend told me, "DON'T wait for THE ULTIMATE DEAL/PRICE to come around, because there will ALWAYS be someone who gets a better deal than you in the future. You will NEVER be able to buy a car and be happy that way! Instead, set a price point where you're willing to buy the car at, and if the price you negotiate drops below that price, you buy. If not, you don't." When I bought my cars, the deals I got were the best at the time (in my area). Now it's not. HOWEVER, the cars I wanted dropped to a price where I was willing to buy it, so I did, and don't have any regrets (just a bit amazed and a little jealous at the "crazy" deals going around now... which will be overshadowed by even more "crazy" deals in the future).

So just be happy with your ride, and feel good knowing you got a "better" deal than I did (don't worry, I don't mind)!

Yeah Im just telling myself that since I plan on this being a long term car im glad I got the 550 over the 63 for the gas mileage and for the cheaper repairs. Im sure AMG brakes are outrageous! At least this makes me feel a little better about the 550.

It is an amayzing car!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GT3, GTR, 570S
if anyone is looking for a 350 at ~$19k off, or a 550 at ~$21k off, PM me for details. This dealer was able to offer this discount for in stock cars or to locate one. You would have to add in freight charges of course depending on its location.

edit: dealer is Coggin Mercedes in Ft Pierce, Fl. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, LeAnn is giving very agressive pricing on cars. Her email is llongo@cogginauto.com.
hope that helps. and thanks cracker123 for the heads up on this dealer.

Last edited by DrDrilZ; 07-24-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:13 AM

03 S500V4, 02 E320W4, 06 C230 Sport 6 speed, 91 300CE, 89 300E, 95 C220
PM me (e-mail is preferable) with details. Currently, I'm seeing about $15K on E350's.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:46 AM

05 CLK 320
Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
if anyone is looking for a 350 at ~$19k off, or a 550 at ~$21k off, PM me for details. This dealer was able to offer this discount for in stock cars or to locate one. You would have to add in freight charges of course depending on its location.

edit: dealer is Coggin Mercedes in Ft Pierce, Fl. As was mentioned earlier in this thread, LeAnn is giving very agressive pricing on cars. Her email is llongo@cogginauto.com.
hope that helps. and thanks cracker123 for the heads up on this dealer.
Congrats on the car, we picked up a E350, and a E550 from her. Working with her on a CLK550. Her number is 772-579-8008 , from Mercedes Benz of Ft Pierce.

Get these cars before they run out.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 727 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Josia
Taken from an online source:

Capitalization Cost (cap cost): The total price of the vehicle, which the lessor uses to calculate the amount that the customer will be paying. This is equivalent to the purchase price of a vehicle that's sold.

"When you and your dealer sit down and agree on a price for a leased car, this becomes the capitalized cost, or "cap cost." In a good lease deal, the cap cost will be significantly less than MSRP. Cap cost is sometimes called lease price.

"... It's in your best interest to always negotiate the lowest capitalized cost possible — a discount off the sticker price — just as if you were buying. The lower your cap cost, the lower your monthly lease payments will be.
Capitalized cost may also include certain fees, such as an acquisition fee (similar to mortgage "points" , or loan origination fee). Acquisition fees are typically not specified in lease contracts, so it's not readily apparent that you are paying it in your capitalized cost.

Hope that helps.
The post indicated a cap cost of 37500 does that mean somebody could buy the car for 37500 +TTL?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:54 PM

GT3, GTR, 570S
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
The post indicated a cap cost of 37500 does that mean somebody could buy the car for 37500 +TTL?
for reference, i was offered an E350 with P2 for 40,425
Old 07-26-2009, 01:02 AM

2016 GLC 300; 2019 E53 Sedan
Doing the math, that would make the price for P1 alone $38630 based on the difference in invoice price between P1 and P2.

I'm trying to find something similar to this on a 4Matic with leather in Minnesota or the surrounding area. Just as a reality check, the best deal I have been able to find so far is only $12,000 off with the dealers stating that there is very limited inventory in 4Matics, virtually all in black or white with MB tex.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Just as a reminder, pricing depends on how much supply (or overstock) your area has, how many dealerships are competing in your area, how much demand there is for the particular car/model/color/configuration you're interested in, what vehicles are available at the dealership you're at (or immediate area for trade), how many new vehicles (ie: 2010 E-Classes) they have on the lot or are coming in, what tax rate and licensing fees are in your area, etc.

Thus, the specific prices that apply to a particular dealership may not apply to another one 2,000 miles away. For example, someone mentioned comparison shopping/calling dealerships in different states and the prices were all over the place. So it would be a good idea to use the prices listed here AS A REFERENCE, but don't expect that you can ALWAYS match/beat specific prices in other regions (for example, the dealership that I went to in SoCal would never match the FL price for a 2009 E-Class... they just won't do it... period).
Old 07-26-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by chokaay
So it would be a good idea to use the prices listed here AS A REFERENCE, but don't expect that you can ALWAYS match/beat specific prices in other regions (for example, the dealership that I went to in SoCal would never match the FL price for a 2009 E-Class... they just won't do it... period).
Agreed and understood ... thanks. The price postings in this string and on the Edmunds M-B forum inspired me to start making the inquiries, so thanks to all who have posted. The M-B dealers in the Minnesota area are coming in at about $44-46, although one I think I can get down to maybe $43. My objective is a price in the aggressive range listed by other posters and if I cant get that then I will keep my discipline and pass. I am broadening my search to other dealers in the Upper Midwest and I wouldn't rule out a one-way flight to pick up a car.

Two other things that might help others looking at this string:

I cant seem get the local dealers to look at all past their local inventory ... probably this is due to the fact that they are not seeing a lot of margin in selling me a car, much less in looking around for one.

One other element I thought I would pass on that I've found a bit more annoying. In the past, when I have made e-mail inquiries and solicited bids on new Hondas and Lexuses that we have owned, I have always gotten straightforward information on a price and equipment on the car, usually within hours or at least a day or two. With the exception of one M-B dealer, who responded politely and quickly within hours, I have had to ferrett (sp?) out every bit of information with multiple e-mails and phone calls. Given the economic climate, I wasn't expecting that to be the case.

Thanks again to others who have posted their pricing information ... it is much appreciated.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:14 AM

With all due respect the macro-economics of the market have less to do with getting a good price than what's going on internally at a specific dealership

If the company is close to hitting a sales target for a bonus from corporate they will be highly motivated to dicker with you. This is especially true at quarter's end and even more so at year's end. This demands that you cast your net far and wide to find that one dealer that stands to gain by making "just one more sale"...that "one" being the car that you buy.

A point about email: I wouldn't bother contacting the so-called "internet sales staff". Get higher in the food chain with a sales manager to correspond, and mention from the get-go that a satisfactory sale to you will generate a very favorable post-sale survey result for his dealership. The dealers also get a little spiff at year's end for their "customer satisfaction".
Old 07-26-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by richmondR
Just as a reality check, the best deal I have been able to find so far is only $12,000 off with the dealers stating that there is very limited inventory in 4Matics, virtually all in black or white with MB tex.
Supply and demand ... plus the dealers desire for a certain profit margin. If 4Matics aren't readily available, don't expect a similar discount as compared to RWD. You might check with Ryan at MB of Westminster (CO), 303-410-7853. As of two days ago, he still had a handful of 4Matics. You should also try Rosemary Pichardo, SilverStar Motors (NY), 718-361-2332 x160.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:52 PM

Steven and a.brewer ... Thanks. I have had good success in the past just going through the internet sales staff, but I see that I need to sharpen my game a bit if I'm going to have a shot at this. I will cast a wider net, but with dealers in the upper midwest. I do have an e-mail to LeAnn at Coggin as well. One dealer told me that there were only about 100 unsold 2009 4-Matics left in the US.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:06 PM

When I am shopping locally here in PA, dealers can check availability for cars all along the East Coast, so I am guessing it's possible to know exact inventory across the US (one way or another).

If the dealer you speak with does not have 4Matic inventory, they may not be able to dealer-trade for a 4Matic (if the other dealer still wants a 4Matic). You need to find a dealer that has a car they do not want. You can either make the calls yourself, of have a dealer make the calls. No matter ... but why limit yourself to a dealer in or around the upper midwest?
Old 07-26-2009, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Steven Long
... but why limit yourself to a dealer in or around the upper midwest?
Steven -- Thanks again. I have a bit of a bias for trying to work with a local dealer so try to assure the best possible post-sale service, including loaner cars. I dont know exactly what the policy is with M-B, but I have a big issue with hanging out at the dealership while my car is getting serviced, so I prefer to get loaners, and I'm concerned that wont be possible getting service for a non-selling dealer. I dont have any idea what the difference is at a M-B dealer between servicing "their customers" versus other M-B owners that just stop in for services. Not to pull this thread off topic, but it is somewhat related ... does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:42 PM

None
This is the deal I am getting in NY.

2009 E350 RWD White with black interior and panoramic roof. P1 And Sport Package

MSRP - 57,500
Cap Cost - $40,400
Residual - 45%
MF - .00165

Only first month and registration up front.

Acquisition (795) and taxes rolled in payment

$585 month including NY tax.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:50 PM

GT3, GTR, 570S
Originally Posted by richmondR
Steven -- Thanks again. I have a bit of a bias for trying to work with a local dealer so try to assure the best possible post-sale service, including loaner cars. I dont know exactly what the policy is with M-B, but I have a big issue with hanging out at the dealership while my car is getting serviced, so I prefer to get loaners, and I'm concerned that wont be possible getting service for a non-selling dealer. I dont have any idea what the difference is at a M-B dealer between servicing "their customers" versus other M-B owners that just stop in for services. Not to pull this thread off topic, but it is somewhat related ... does anyone have any thoughts on that?
dealerships make money from the service dept, i believe more so than from sales. they more than want you to bring in your car to them, whether you purchased from them or not. they get paid for warranty work from MB. since they want your business, they will give you loaners and other "perks". dont limit yourself.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:53 PM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
'21 E63S4S in glorious Brilliant Blue Magno
Originally Posted by trematix
This is the deal I am getting in NY.

2009 E350 RWD White with black interior and panoramic roof. P1 And Sport Package

MSRP - 57,500
Cap Cost - $40,400
Residual - 45%
MF - .00165

Only first month and registration up front.

Acquisition (795) and taxes rolled in payment

$585 month including NY tax.

Any thoughts?
Sounds good. But I was able to get a .00095 MF. So work them over on that number. Cap Cost isn't bad.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
dealerships make money from the service dept, i believe more so than from sales. they more than want you to bring in your car to them, whether you purchased from them or not. they get paid for warranty work from MB. since they want your business, they will give you loaners and other "perks". dont limit yourself.
+1

Buy the car from the dealer who works the best deal for you and service the car from the dealer who has the better service department.

I bought my car from the dealer with the best price and service it from another dealer (actually two other dealers) The SA treats me like a king and he knows I bought the car from somebody else. The dealers are competing with each other. It's your money they want.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4 matic Wagon
We are talking CDN dollars here and the discount was $13500 plus he paid extra freight to move the car by truck from Edmonton Alberta to Nanaimo BC which includes a barge ride from Vancouver. He also discounted a couple of acessories as well as paying Air, battery and tire taxes we pay here in BC. They say business is good but they are hungry.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the additional insights on the dealer sale versus service issue. I'm sure I'm unnecessarily paranoid about that.

Also, thanks for the inspiration to keep shopping around. Well, I've casted my net wider today to include dealers in Wisconsin and a few in the Chicago area. Also, I heard from Leann who said that the deals for the 4matics are not quite as good ... closer to $15,000 off, which is still very impressive but still higher than my walk-away price. Other dealers up here are coming in at $12-13000 off. And one got a bit defensive when he came in at $9500 off.

I'm being very pleasant and I'm not going to argue, nor am I going to vary my walk-away price. If I cant make it happen ... wellll, there will be more opportunities in the future.

One thing ... if anyone has acquired a 4matic in that last few days I would love to hear the details ... thanks again!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:22 PM

2009 e350 4matic
new here... just last week bought 09 e350 4matic with p2 and sport pkg, msrp 60,925 for 42,000. it was a mbusa corp car with 5k miles, they called it demo but it was brand new looking so i didnt care. i could not find a single brand new 4matic with p1 at min that was not black or white as someone stated. i called around to many dealers. mine is flint grey/black.... dont really care for black interior - my pref is cashmere and less so, ash but i felt compelled to act as i thought these deals were too good to pass up. i actually think my combo looks good but i woulda paid up for cashmere or ash. once the colors are gone, theyre gone for good as no more 09 are gonna be built. and i def didnt want black or white no matter how cheap. i saw white/beige and white/black and i woulda hated it every day i drove it.

my findings were 4matics with p1 start about 45k, with p2 47k. im guessing theyd go 1k lower min, poss to 43k but as i wasnt gonna buy either of the 2 whites they had, i didnt negotiate.

herb chambers in boston has this mbusa corp car

http://www.herbchambers.com/ou/lynnf...-Class/9356501

theyre asking 45k but sounded like theyd do 42k. i like the blue/cashmere combo more than my flint/black but this is only p1 and sport with 9k miles so it should be priced at least 1k lower than my car with 5k miles. they kinda blew me off after i told them that and i liked my car enough that i decided to buy my car.

so the bottom line is this. if you dont want black nor white, i doubt youd find anything avail at this point that is new new. im aware of only this "demo" that is neither black or white in all of east coast. if you can do black or white, i think 43k is doable on p1 and 45k on p2. mb of white plains has both those 4matics. good luck.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 PM

All of the quotes I have gotten are on white or black models. The Arctic White isn't a bad color combined with a tan or grey interior. Or a black with tan is nice as well. One quote I had today was on a sport model that was black and black with the black stained walnut ... that would be cool if I was 20 years younger.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:59 AM

None
Originally Posted by Quackledork
Sounds good. But I was able to get a .00095 MF. So work them over on that number. Cap Cost isn't bad.
Isnt the MB MF .00165? how did you get .00095? Also what was the deal you got and what state?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When is the best time to pick up a leftover 09 E350?