E-Class (W211) 2003-2009
View Poll Results: What winter tire should I get?
Continental ContiWinterContact TS810 S
27.78%
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D
55.56%
Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero
16.67%
Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero RFT
0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Snow Tires/New Wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes Benz E350 AMG Sport Edition
Originally Posted by LeviDenim
The best snow tires are Nokian. I used to swap wheels on an ML and a E300.
Then they made a wonderful tire that works in all four seasons and laughs at snow.
The WR SUV for the MLs and the WR for the sedans. I just put four of the WRG2s on
the E500 4matic. I love them. The reviews on them are stellar.
http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG2

For rear wheel drive only it will be better to go with just snow tires, but your lease issue
throws a wrench in that. Personally after having experince for over 15 years with the
Nokian product I thing the all season WRG2 will be fine and you do not have to change
wheels. The do have a snow rating and are amazing in the rain as well.

However at 18" wheels I would be going down in diameter and width. Separate winter wheels
and good set of Nokians that fit your climate. If you have trouble on the chocies just holler.
I have tried 4 styles of the Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires. All amazing in snow, slush and even
mild icing conditions.

Will it really affect me that much to not change from a 18" size?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 4matic, 99 ML 430, 90 E300
The upper midwest can get harsh, but if you can get a tire that is down in width about 1.5"
then the 18s can stay. It is going to be hard to do and still keep some sidewall. Part of the
magic of snow tires is the sidewall needing to work to absorb the impact of hard packed snow.
Low profile tires will not do that. If a performance tire is a must in Winter then I would
go with the Pirelli or Dunlop. The Contis are a disappointment. My brother has them on
an Audi A6 Quattro and my rear wheel drive with 6 year old Nokian Hakkapeliitta model
10 tires can dig through much worse snow and slush than his Audi.

I can not say enough about Nokian. The WRC cars that have tire sponsors even run them
in ice and snow stages of rallies. Take a look at how narrow they run their tires. They need
the tire to cut through and bit down on the traction surface under the snow. The wider the
tire the more like of a "hockey puck" effect the car has. It is like snowshoes and the wide
tires keep the car on top of the snow instead of digging in and gripping.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:00 PM
X72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda Accord
Originally Posted by Rexwriter
I drive a 2008 E350 and just moved from Los Angeles to Santa Fe. I'm worried about the winter and have no experience driving in snow. My driveway, which is unpaved, has an upgrade, and I've been told I'll never get out of it with my rear-wheel drive. I've heard that snow tires are more important than all-wheel drive. Is that true? Would I be okay in my E350 with snow tires?

My lease expires in Dec 2010. Do I get snow tires just for this winter? Do I see if I can trade for a AWD?

I hear there isn't that much snow here in Santa Fe, but the problem is that there are many unpaved roads that don't get cleared.

Any help and advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rex
Have you considered getting a 4-wheel driver winter beater SUV? If you have a long driveway and there is a significant snowfall, you may not be able to get out because of lack of ground clearance on any car, at least until you shovel/snow blow the driveway. The other thing you need to think about is the spring when that snow melts if the driveway is unpaved which could become a muddy mess. Especially if it is a snowy year. Talk to you neighbors and hopefully they will give you the benefit of their experience like how much snow you should expect in your specific micro-climate and elevation above sea level. Good luck.