E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Guys ... avoid Shell V-Power (Nitrogen Enriched)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 Elegance Saloon
Originally Posted by fortlaudsummer
I have never liked Shell for their prices and Mobil for their alleged discrimination.

BP FTW
+1...that's what I use too
Old 07-11-2009, 11:26 AM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
'21 E63S4S in glorious Brilliant Blue Magno
While gas may be gas, different parts of the country get their gas from different places. Gas in Florida is not the same as gas in California. And each state has different requirements as well. In the Pac NW, Chevron is all I use. Shell, Arco and Costco gas is awful. My wife used Costco gas in her C230 for a while and the injectors all went bad and were constantly getting clogged. Also, gas from different areas has different properties. Gas from the Mid East is different than gas from Mexico or South America.

I think the additives are more of a marketing gimmick than anything. But, I am sure they help a little bit.

Also, many gas stations are independently owned franchises. And gas is something that stations sell for basically cost or maybe a penny over cost. There is very little margin in gas sales. As such, some less scrupulous owners will sell 87 octane as 92 or mix in all sorts of bad stuff to make more money.

So, there are inconsistencies.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
I've never had any problem with Shell in Virginia area but it's 93 Octane, too. I do like using Sunoco for my Volvo since it requires minimum 91 Octane and Sunoco has three grades above the Regular 87 Octane: 89 Octane and 91 Octane and the Premium 93 Octane.......saves a little $$ using the 91 Octane instead of having to use the Premium. The other gas brands have only two grades above the Regular: 89 and 93 Octane. Also, wonder if the E500/E550 V8 models might have less problems with gas since they have two spark plugs per cylinder whereas the V6 models have only one spark plug per cylinder?
Old 07-11-2009, 02:07 PM

my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Fuelish discussion

I have never seen dynometer differences attributed to different brands of fuel. I suspect that at least some of the "differences" are due to expectations.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
^^^^
Old 06-11-2016, 11:07 AM

1996 S420
Fuel and marketing!

As an owner of a 1991 Mercedes 300sl, filling up with premium is mandatory.

Growing up in Indy in the 60's era, I found from Indy 500 mechanics back in the day, using a vendors sticker on the car mandated usage of the product.

When an oil additive was used, techs were only required to use one teaspoonful to advertise on their car. Misleading? Perhaps. In this day of misleading all of us on everything imaginable, why not call out the executives of these fuel companies and ask what they use in their car?!

I do use only Chevron. I do buy a 6 pack of Techron @ Costco and use one bottle every third fill up. Per bottle cost under $3.50.

Smoother running, almost 2 mpg improvement, and minimizes carbon buildup.

Inquire online and see how tank farms distribute fuel.

Avoiding carbon buildup is the reason we want additives.

Whatever one drives, using the best fuel constitutes a process of determining what performs best in each vehicle.

Sometimes $3 is the difference between driving and eating for those less fortunate.

Pay the difference for premium and avoid carbon buildup in your engine.

And enjoy a leaner you!

See you at the gym.

xrcyzr66 in Phoenix.