E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E500 Tire question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Trek 90
E500 Tire question

I need to replace my tires on the E500. The 2 fronts are decent, but too much noise. Which tires have you guys used? I dont really care for traction and things like that, I drive 60+ miles a day mostly on the freeway. Noise and thread life are my main concerns.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If you're going to keep the car another 40 thou miles, get the Michelin MXM4's.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by 03_E500
I need to replace my tires on the E500. The 2 fronts are decent, but too much noise. Which tires have you guys used? I dont really care for traction and things like that, I drive 60+ miles a day mostly on the freeway. Noise and thread life are my main concerns.
I'm like you wanting smooth and quiet tires. I'm on my forth set of tires since buying my CPO vehicle in 2005: Original OEM Continentals which were almost gone and became very noisy; replaced with Pirelli All Season which became noisy just after one year/10,000 miles; replaced them with Yokohomas All Seaon which were quiet and smooth for 2.5 years; replaced them last week with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. Everyone has an opinion about tires, of course, based usually on their own experience with their vehicles and no two vehicles are the same with tire wear, etc. I asked the same question as you in a couple postings a few months ago when I decided I'd replace my tires sometime this year and the recommendations covered the waterfront but many folks recommended the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, including someone who has the same 03 E500 as me who previously had tried Bridgestone and another brand that didn't work out. He finally did the PS2s and he's very satisfied as I am so far.........very smooth and quiet. I bought mine last week at my local MB Dealer since I had my vehicle there for B Service and they found one of my Yokos defective and needed replacement to pass the annual Virginia State Vehicle Inspection. So, they gave me $335/tire out the door including road hazard warranty and lifetime rotations/balancing.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I am on the second set of Michelin greenies (E320). They are pricey for an all season tire. They are quiet, they do not wear particularly well ( 40,000 miles) and they provide reasonable traction for a conservative driver.Others here say that they deliver an extra 1 mpg but I cannot confirm that. They do have a bib sidewall protector that helps prevent curb rash, a feature I like but not commonly found. I used to run the really durable, hard, Michelin tires on my Maximas and they give 80,000 mile service although the last 5-10k is brutal. Unfortunately Big Brother will not allow the tire dealers to install them on vehicles with OEM high speed rated tires. I think the statement about personal preferance is true. It is undeniable that M-B chose MXV's for OEM tires and they must have had a reason. I am sure they get a huge discount but I doubt it was price alone that influenced their decision.
I am an older guy and the site of 20" rims and 35 profile tires provides a great deal of humor. Each to his own
Old 07-15-2009, 10:50 AM

E500 w211
i dont know if these are available in the US but they are awesome for the money and ride !! pretty quite too

http://www.euroshina.com.ua/en/tyres/Toyo/Proxes_ct01
Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM

2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by 03_E500
By the way, you may already know this, but go on TireRack.com and check out their road test data and customer feedback on any brand and style tire you're interested in.........provides some good insight from customers who've had the tires on their vehicles about wear, noise, handling, etc. I used that data plus inputs from this Benz Forum to help me decide which tire to get. Also, TireRack has excellent prices and low shipping costs......the only downside is when you exercise their Road Hazard Warranty, you have to get TireRack to ship you a new replacement tire and then ship the old one back to them which doesn't work too well if you need a replacement tire put on your vehicle immediately.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:00 AM

2004 E500 Wagon, 1995 E320 Wagon, 2007 Porsche Cayman, 1996 Ford F150 4x4
I love the Bridgestone RE960 Pole Positions. They are all-seasons, which mean inherently compromised, but they are really pretty good. Not for heavy snow, but certainly would be awesome if you live in a 3 seasons area. Quite and a nice ride. Check out tirerack.com.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM

2005 AMG G55
On my other car, I switched from Goodyear F1 A/S to Michelin Pilot Sports A/S Plus. Night and day in terms of noise and grip. Michelins are quiet.

I am about to switch the E500 to the same tires. Doing it the Costco route, about $870 installed (w/tax) with the usual after-service warranty and guarantee. The price includes the Michelin $70 rebate (for 4 tires), which ends end-Aug I think.

Pricing is for 245/45-17. 255 would be $20-25 more each. Being a 4Matic, did not have a choice but to change all 4 at the same time.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:04 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz E550 AMG Sport Package
Originally Posted by mcleantmw
By the way, you may already know this, but go on TireRack.com and check out their road test data and customer feedback on any brand and style tire you're interested in.........provides some good insight from customers who've had the tires on their vehicles about wear, noise, handling, etc. I used that data plus inputs from this Benz Forum to help me decide which tire to get. Also, TireRack has excellent prices and low shipping costs......the only downside is when you exercise their Road Hazard Warranty, you have to get TireRack to ship you a new replacement tire and then ship the old one back to them which doesn't work too well if you need a replacement tire put on your vehicle immediately.
+1

TireRack is a great resource. I am glad I read their reviews. I love my Goodyear Asymetricals. Maybe not the best for this poster if mileage is his priority but they were a heck of a lot quiter than the OEM Conti's, better traction wet and dry, and the ride was much smoother.