DVD-Nav Availability - write MBUSA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E320
Lightbulb DVD-Nav Availability - write MBUSA

Nav Availability - MBUSA
I am also very disappointed in MBZ inability to meet deliver this product. Thus my reason for presenting my case and suggestion below, and apologies for being verbose and redundant on facts many of readers already know.

Suggestion
- Contact MBUSA, in writing, stating individual expectations, concerns and/or frustrations.

Facts;
- DVD-Nav system option promoted in new E-Class brochure, stating “see dealer regarding availability”
- Many folks, including myself, purchased with understanding that the new Nav could be immediately retrofitted, when available, so many made purchase decision with that expectation.
- Date of availability not clear. I was told end of Q1, ’03.
- Conflicting information being reported on forums based on input from dealers, other owners, calls to MBUSA and DaimlerChrysler AG.
- Many folks have made up front payment for this option, some, like me are on “waiting list” (dealer would not include in sale, since not available when I took car delivery)
- MBUSA reported sales data; 4,400 sold Jan. ’03, 5,500 sold Nov. ’02.
- MBUSA E-Class sales represent 30% of units sold

Desired Result
- Ensure that the DVD-Nav system option will be offered, as expected
- MBUSA publish a statement providing clarification on availability for all.
- Ensure that new DVD-Nav system is functional and reliable, given current issues many of us are experiencing with electrical issues

Why / How
- Reason; my previous experience is that providing written inquiries carries more weight than phone contacts
- Ensures that customer frustration and expectation is well known and documented
- This provides tangible data that MBUSA might use in decision making process.
- Informing MBUSA of consequences of not fulfilling this obligation could result in severe erosion of customer loyalty.
- I think that Customer satisfaction is important to MBUSA and DaimlerChrysler. And based upon sales and market share data this should be significant to MBUSA.
- Opinion that I share with others: It is embarrassing to have a luxury car and not have this type of capability, when Honda has a state of the art Navigation system, that is reliable and user friendly.
- For those not familiar, the site is;
www.mbusa.com
Select the link "contact us". Then "Customer Assistance". Complete the boxes and submit your inquiry.

I do appreciate hearing status updates on the forum, but I think we will be better served to direct frustrations and expectations to MBUSA in this manner.
And hopefully, as others have mentioned, MBUSA may publish a statement providing clarification for all.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Almost a Member!

I can't agree more. It's time to start "mobilizing the masses" so-to-speak. Without enough heat on MB, there isn't much incentive on their part to do anything about it. After all, they are the ones holding the money, not to mention, making money off it! Any lawyers out there waiting as well? Any advice on how best to proceed? Besides inundating MBUSA with email, don't we need to go more public with it? Any other comments, suggestions? Thanks for starting this briar...
Old 02-17-2003, 11:13 AM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
I have received 2 letters over the past week warning that I may be contacted to complete a JD Powers survey sometime real soon. If contacted the quality of MBUSA communication skills will be prominent.
Old 02-17-2003, 06:28 PM

check this out
http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...e000091046.cfm
Old 02-17-2003, 06:52 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
This is a very dated article posted on this forum long ago.
In case anyone forgot the pic below was also posted about that time....

Last edited by drb; 02-17-2003 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by drb
This is a very dated article posted on this forum long ago.
In case anyone forgot the pic below was also posted about that time....
why is the new DVD-nav system going to be in the E-Class before the S,SL and CL?
Old 02-18-2003, 05:37 PM
drb

Maybe because this is a new model year for the E? You are implying the E takes the hand-me-downs from the more expensive models. Well I do not know that is always the case.
Right now, I would settle for the navi in my 2001 E320 trade in....I miss the navi very much.

Last edited by drb; 02-18-2003 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:19 PM

when do you think the S,SL and CL will get the new nav. system?
Old 02-18-2003, 06:34 PM
drb

I am not the source for MB. Suggest you call AG Germany. Given their response about E navi, you may receive the same shoulder shrug given to another poster on this forum.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
I hope we should get something like this for our patience:

Old 02-18-2003, 08:17 PM

2003 E-500
Nav Availability.

I agree with your suggestion to send a message to MBUSA and did so today. I also pointed out we are having a STAR club rally this coming Sunday in my area, and that I would appreciate a response before that time so that I can share their answer with the other MB owners and enthusiasts in our club.

I like my new E-500 but would have waited for the 2004 model, if my car could not be retrofit with the Nav system as promised at time of purchase.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by Dema
I hope we should get something like this for our patience:

Dema: I am afraid that we might get something like that including the instructions:p :p

Ed
Old 02-24-2003, 05:43 PM

2003 E-500
COMAND Nav Availability

I received a phone call today from MBUSA in response to my e-mail message saying that the Nav systems WILL BE available for the pre-wired E class vehicles (thosemade before 1-03-03) in late March or early April of this year. The systems have been delayed due to problems in "Development Testing" but will definitely be made available.

Persons who Pre-Paid will get first priority for installation. Owners who have vehicles that are pre-wired but have not paid for it, will also be able to purchase the system but will have to wait for installation until after the Pre-Paid systems are installed.

This appears to represent the current "Official MBUSA position" on this problem. It will be interesting to hear what others learn over the next few days/weeks.

Here's hoping we get our Nav systems in the next 30-60 days
Old 02-24-2003, 06:18 PM

2003 MB E500
I'll believe it when and IF I see it. MB seems to keep changing its story. I hope this is finally resolved!
Old 02-25-2003, 12:22 AM

14 'E550
Our salesperson told me the Nav situation is real serious and that the possibility of getting a replacement car may be the only answer to this issue. I read another thread where others have heard this as well, so its definitely not a rumor.

Should be interesting, would be nice to here something before the year of the flood.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Hey Belfted, did you get your car at Competition? If so, who do you deal with? Chris
Old 02-25-2003, 02:04 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by cte430
Hey Belfted, did you get your car at Competition? If so, who do you deal with? Chris
Yup, check your PM.....
Old 02-26-2003, 12:19 AM

'03 E320
Angry Update

Well, I submitted my written concern, regarding Nav availability, to MBUSA on 2/15. MBUSA did follow up and phoned me today to follow up. The only information that they would provide was that my dealer would be the first to know availability, so I should contact the dealer. I said that I had and that my dealer had no information on availability, but the response was to contact the dealer. I expressed my disappointment and frustration and that a Honda Accord has features that causes me embarrassment. Didn’t faze the caller.
Guess they don't want to put anything in writing at current time. This was very disappointing.
We as a group need to keep up the pressure on MBUSA, for I do think that is spokespeople for our cause to the mother company.
I also made same request during January and received the following response. I am publishing this for the record and all to see.

Dear Mr. Welch,

Thank you for your recent internet inquiry.

Currently, we do not have a definitive date as to when the Command system will
be available in the 2003 E Class. Since the vehicle is pre-wired for this
system you may order this option in advance and the Command system will be
retrofitted to your vehicle when it becomes available at no additional charge.

If you do not order the system with your vehicle and choose to have it added
after you have taken delivery of the vehicle, the installation will be at your
expense.

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again or
call us at
1-800-FOR-MERCedes (1-800-367-6372).

Sincerely,

Gerard Viscido
Consumer Promotions
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC
Old 02-26-2003, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
I wrote the following email to MBUSA (makrish@mbusa.com) on Friday, February 21st. No reply as yet.

"There is a great deal of misinformation and/or no information about the availability of the navigation system for the pre-ordered and "pre-wired" 2003 E-Series. The owners forums are now full of conflicting answers given by MBUSA representatives on the phone as well as dealers, salesmen, and service advisors.

Most comments reflect a lack of confidence in Mercedes Benz. These are from long time MB customers. The main theme is the total lack of any official information from MBUSA. We would be satisfied with a statement that said that it would in fact be available at some point without an exact date. As it stands now, it looks as if the promised Navigation will not be available.

I ordered my E-500 on 9/20/2002 (took delivery on 11/21/2002) only after calling MBUSA several times to insure that the Navigation would be available. The system was a critical part of my decision to buy the car. I was in the process of buying a Lexus LX430 because MB did not have the Navigation available. I was convinced (enticed?) that the Navigation would, in fact, be available by your letter of August 27, 2002, to "All Mercedes-Benz Dealers", in which you announce that "it will be retrofit to vehicles delivered between now and next Spring".

I truly hope that this is all a matter of non-comunication and that the Nav. System will indeed be provided as promised. Frankly, I would not have ordered this car without the system and do not want it unless it is provided as agreed.

I hope you can reply with a simple answer as to the status. If it is not going to be available for whatever reason, why not tell us. If it is, tell us so the rumors, etc. can be put aside. I would also advise bringing the dealers up to date as they all seem to have a somewhat different story to tell. Unfortunately, the story now is that it will never be available and that MBUSA is holding back telling those who prepaid and have been expecting the system.

Looking forward to hearing from you very soon."

If I receive a reply I will post.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:38 AM

2003 MB E500
Well stated Ed. Will be interesting to see if and how MB replies.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:25 PM

LEXUS
I emailed a letter similar to that of etenn 3 times since January. January was when I was told to expect the navi when I purchased my car. There has been no response to date.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:45 PM

2013 S550
Born a Type-A, I've certainly worked hard to develop Type-B characteristics.

I was first told (in late September) the Navigation would be ready in January, but later told (in Oct/Nov) it would be March/April timeframe. I researched it a bit at the time, and found an article that said that H/K had entered into a technology agreement with some (I forget) U.S. company, but it did not go into effect until Jan 03. (I only wish I had bookmarked the link because I can't find in on Google at all.) This other company had technology related to communicating real-time traffic updates to navigation systems. At the time I remember thinking it made sense to delay release because testing could not even begin until January.

Anyway, it really hasn’t bothered me. I've hired and managed development teams to produce custom software, so when I heard a March/April release, I thought "May release with an August patch to correct the software bugs".

So, I really haven't worried about it, other than to think it should have been half-price rather than the $500 discount. Of course, I've been wrong before, but I'm kicking back and waiting until May, when I realistically expect to have my module installed.

I almost didn’t post this since I couldn’t find this mysterious article I’ve to which I’ve alluded, but I really don’t think I imagined it…
Old 03-07-2003, 02:58 AM

'03 E320
Thumbs up Dealer Input

Talked to my dealer today regarding Nav system. It sounded like the sales staff was asked to contact '03 customers to find out who was willing to commit to the Nav "retro" - cost to us that didn't have the foresight to lock in is $2125. Sounds like they have been asked to submit demand to MBUSA based upon commitments.
This is encouraging.
On the other hand, date when it would be available was unkown.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:51 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
I think the reason for asking the dealers to poll customers is that a lot of dealers told the customers they did not have to prepay and could be installed later at $1625. Remember, I placed my order in 11/02 before they stopped pre-wiring, and so my dealer told me I did not need to prepay the Navi, that they would know my car was built before it was available and they would install for $1625. I even called MBUSA to confirm this. So now, they probably need to go back and find out who all really wanted the Navi system.

Actually, this does not sound good to me, because if retrofit was going to be easy, there would be no need to recount. Dealerships could just simply place orders for Navi parts just like any other service parts. However, if they have to decide between buy-back and other options, they would need to know a specific count.

Of course, after taking the order and before my car was built, they stopped pre-wiring, and so I am still waiting...and waiting...and waiting...but jealously reading all of posts from owners...
Old 03-09-2003, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Probably counting us to see how many of us get new 2004's with Navigation:p .....sure

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DVD-Nav Availability - write MBUSA