E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2009 E350 40GB Command

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None
2009 E350 40GB Command

Hello everyone, I recently got a 2009 E350. I believe the command system has 40GB of space. I was under the impression that you can at least transfer 20-30GB of music onto the hard drive. When I go to music registry, it only shows 4GB of space. Am I mistaken and its only 4GB of music space allotted?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E200 Kompressor
As per instruction manual

Yes, the Hard disc is indeed of a 40 Gb capacity, and as per the instruction manual one can only use up to 4 Gb for the music register.

I would guess that the remainder drive space is reserved for the linguatronic (all various languages in which it is available), Navigation Maps for your country / region (i.e. the whole of west Europe is combined as one lot!), Database for gracenote etc. It is unfortunate that the end-user cannot allocate the space, since I would think that not every region/country's maps and database would amount to 36 Gb. The developers probably took the "safe" route and sufficient space for future upgrades/updates of the Navigation section.

Perhaps there are tweakers out there that know how to re-allocate the partions?
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
One "workaround" to the 4GB limitation is to burn MP3 DVD+/-R's, and leave them in your car. Each disc can hold 4.7GB of music (or 8.5GB if you can get double-layer DVD+/-R's to work in your car... which I don't know if you can). Assuming you have 6 empty slots to work with, that will give you another 28.2GB of music (51GB if you actually get double-layer DVD+/-R's to work... I've never tried so I don't know if they'll work).

Then you can also add a non-SDHC SD Card for extra storage. Most manufacturers make non-SDHC cards up to 2GB, but Transcend and some other manufacturers make 4GB non-SDHC cards that I've read works.

Hopefully this all will give you "enough" space to play around with...