E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How do I check the Trans Oil Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E320
How do I check the Trans Oil Level

Hey everyone my car has been jump at slow speeds or jerking once in a while when I am at slow speeds. It does it at random. Im thinking its the Trans Oil Level. I went to check were the trans dip stick and theres no rod that goes all the way down. Anyone know how to check it and what kind of Trans fluid I should put in.??
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Need to buy the dipstick. Try http://www.baumtools.com or http://www.asttool.com, or you can go to the dealer parts dept. Use only MB ATF. Several people here have done ATF work and hopefully they can chime in here and tell what level to check for.

Regards,
paul...
Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Yes, you will need the dipstick. When you check, make sure you insert the dipstick into the correct tube. The oil tube is slightly above the tranny tube. To get to the tranny tube you need to remove the air filter housing (the oil tube sticks out w/o removing the air filter housing - so dont get confused). The tranny tube should also have a cap on it that you may need to break open with a screw driver and if you want it locked agian, buy the plactic pin which the dealership can supply you with. If you are not losing tranny oil and the seal on the tranny tube was never broken, i dont think the level would be an issue.

The jerking is a common problem. All dealerships will tell you it's normal, it's just the torque converter. My tranny did it alot too. And now my tranny is crap. Good luck with it.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes AMG
Is there any permanent solution for the jerking?
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
Originally Posted by anisamy1
Is there any permanent solution for the jerking?
If you can replicate the problem at the dealership, then you might get an answer. It was hard to replicate when i brought it in. I think there is an ECU software upgrade that may need to be done so try that first. From the people on this forum, that is only a temporary fix....

I hope you are under warranty because I'm sure it will be costly if it's anything else.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Checking tranny fluid

You might have the dealer check it. It requires the proper MB tool with the graduations on it for the correct temperature when checking. There is a big difference between the correct level when the fluid is cold vs when it is warmed up. On my 05 211, the fluid temperature to check when it is full is a warmed up fluid at 80 degrees centigrade. They have an infrared device that they can shine on the torque converter and it reads the temperature. There are some models that have to be checked from underneath the vehicle. If you bring it to the dealer, make sure you query him and the technician about the correct way to read the temperature of the fluid. More than likely it is something else. There are some TB's out re: harsh shifting. Konistiger, forum member, is a wealth of knowledge in this area. Good luck.