New E owner - need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E350Sport
New E owner - need help

Hi all,

I am a new MB owner, having bought a 2009 E350 Sport two weeks back. I am excited to join this forum and hope this to be entertaining as well as informative.

I have a couple of questions which I haven't been able to get answers to from the manuals, as below. Wan wondering if any of you could help:

1) I saved seat/mirror settings for me and my wife - however are these not stored in the Smartkey (I don't have keyless go)? In my previous BMW, the seat/mirror settings were saved in the keyfob, so if I or my wife used our respective keyfobs, the seat/mirror settings would revert to our respective settings as soon as we unlocked the car. I tried this in the Merc, but doesn't seem to be working. Now everytime after my wife drives, I have to manually keep the memory button pressed to get the setting back to my settings, and she has to do the same after I drive with my settings....

2) I have all-seasons with the sport pkg (I was told) - do I need to put winter tires or would the OE tires be ok for NJ winters (not much snow - couple of times a year)?

Thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 12:09 PM

2009 E350Sport
One more question - I have an Ipod Nano 3G - when I connect to the Ipod adapter, it does not get charged - the sales person told me that it would get charged though an Iphone wouldn't. Any one knows about this?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Originally Posted by Just an E
One more question - I have an Ipod Nano 3G - when I connect to the Ipod adapter, it does not get charged - the sales person told me that it would get charged though an Iphone wouldn't. Any one knows about this?
Welcome to the boards and to E-class ownership. The search function is your best bet to get answers to your questions immediately. For example, if you had searched for "iPod", you would have found this: http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Chargi...9142337&sr=1-3 in one of the forums. This issue has been discussed several times.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E500, 2011 ML350
MB no longer has key dependant settings. I Think 2005 was last year for E-class....Too much client confusion resulting in low JDP scores......

The phone and Ipod req an updated cable to charge.....
Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Hi all,

I am a new MB owner, having bought a 2009 E350 Sport two weeks back. I am excited to join this forum and hope this to be entertaining as well as informative.

I have a couple of questions which I haven't been able to get answers to from the manuals, as below. Wan wondering if any of you could help:

1) I saved seat/mirror settings for me and my wife - however are these not stored in the Smartkey (I don't have keyless go)? In my previous BMW, the seat/mirror settings were saved in the keyfob, so if I or my wife used our respective keyfobs, the seat/mirror settings would revert to our respective settings as soon as we unlocked the car. I tried this in the Merc, but doesn't seem to be working. Now everytime after my wife drives, I have to manually keep the memory button pressed to get the setting back to my settings, and she has to do the same after I drive with my settings....

2) I have all-seasons with the sport pkg (I was told) - do I need to put winter tires or would the OE tires be ok for NJ winters (not much snow - couple of times a year)?

Thanks
As far as I know, the memory settings are on the door because the key doesn't have the capability. The settings were saved in our previous Chrysler 300's and in the Cadillac we also own now, but not in the Mercedes.

If there is an A/S or M+S on the tire, you probably have all-season tires. But you might want to do a Google search on the tires to find out their true designation. I live in Florida, so I don't worry about it except that we don't take the rear-wheel drive E-class to the North Carolina mountains in December. That's what the Cadillac with all wheel drive is for.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:34 PM

2009 E350Sport
Thank you guys.

I checked out the Ipod charger link - reviewers say it doesn't work with MB E Class
With respect to the key fob - well that sucks - coz I and my wife frequently switch cars...
Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
...and you'll find that you have to press AND HOLD the driver number buttons untill all the seat/wheel/mirror movement has been completed or they'll stop as soon as you let go of the button.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:15 PM

E350
Hi all,

Thanks

Honestly, I actually prefer the memory seat/mirror operation this way, because:

A) My wife and I use the 1-key-per-car method, keep the keys we use in a common location, and keep the spare keys in a secure location. That way, whichever key is not in the common location, that car is "out". (This method is more convenient for us because we park in a basement-level parking structure, and do not have a connected garage to our home where we can easily peek outside to see which car is out.)

B) Many times when driving to a destination, one person drives there, and the other person drives back (because the original driver is too tired from the long drive, too full from the meal, became ill, doesn't feel like driving, or whatever). Since there is only one key that is used for that car, we still can still access our programmed seat and mirror settings in either vehicle while using the same key to start the vehicle. (If the seat and mirror settings are linked with the key, then that would mean my wife's setting would be the only setting saved in her car, and my setting would be the only setting saved in my car... what if I need to drive her car and she needs to drive my car? We would always have to manually adjust the seat and mirrors!)

C) Sometimes there will be a 3rd driver in the family (many times it's the oldest child of driving-age). Since Mercedes-Benz (as well as BMW and probably all other car manufacturers) only gives you 2 keys with each car, the 3rd driver still can access his memory seat and mirror settings while using either key. If the memory seat and mirror settings were linked to the key, then the 3rd driver would always have to adjust his/her seats and mirrors manually every time he/she took the car out.

D) Every so often, car keys get lost or stolen. If this happens, and your seat and mirror memory settings are only linked to that particular key fob, then you just lost all your settings. With Mercedes-Benz, your seat and mirror settings are still programmed in the vehicle, so you just get a replacement key fob, and you're up and running as you were before again (no need to do anything to reprogram or resync any settings or whatever).

As for #2, I live in CA, so I wouldn't know about that... perhaps someone else can help you with that question...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:56 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Thank you guys.

I checked out the Ipod charger link - reviewers say it doesn't work with MB E Class
With respect to the key fob - well that sucks - coz I and my wife frequently switch cars...
Just an E,

Oops. I forgot to mention that I bought and use the adapter. The link is from the page where I bought the adapter. It works with my iPod Touch 3G in my '08 E350. You have to make sure it is plugged in to the iPod firmly, but it works.

I think there are two different adapters. When I click on that link in my original post, it tells me that I have already purchased the item, so it should be the right one. Reviewers may be mistakenly reviewing the wrong adapter.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by GGM; 08-08-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:08 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by chokaay
Honestly, I actually prefer the memory seat/mirror operation this way, because:

A) My wife and I use the 1-key-per-car method, keep the keys we use in a common location, and keep the spare keys in a secure location. That way, whichever key is not in the common location, that car is "out". (This method is more convenient for us because we park in a basement-level parking structure, and do not have a connected garage to our home where we can easily peek outside to see which car is out.)

B) Many times when driving to a destination, one person drives there, and the other person drives back (because the original driver is too tired from the long drive, too full from the meal, became ill, doesn't feel like driving, or whatever). Since there is only one key that is used for that car, we still can still access our programmed seat and mirror settings in either vehicle while using the same key to start the vehicle. (If the seat and mirror settings are linked with the key, then that would mean my wife's setting would be the only setting saved in her car, and my setting would be the only setting saved in my car... what if I need to drive her car and she needs to drive my car? We would always have to manually adjust the seat and mirrors!)

C) Sometimes there will be a 3rd driver in the family (many times it's the oldest child of driving-age). Since Mercedes-Benz (as well as BMW and probably all other car manufacturers) only gives you 2 keys with each car, the 3rd driver still can access his memory seat and mirror settings while using either key. If the memory seat and mirror settings were linked to the key, then the 3rd driver would always have to adjust his/her seats and mirrors manually every time he/she took the car out.

D) Every so often, car keys get lost or stolen. If this happens, and your seat and mirror memory settings are only linked to that particular key fob, then you just lost all your settings. With Mercedes-Benz, your seat and mirror settings are still programmed in the vehicle, so you just get a replacement key fob, and you're up and running as you were before again (no need to do anything to reprogram or resync any settings or whatever).

As for #2, I live in CA, so I wouldn't know about that... perhaps someone else can help you with that question...
Our Cadillac has seat position memory built into the key fobs and has a little number 1 on the bottom of one of them and a little number 2 on the bottom of the other one. It also has a button for each on the driver's door. Best of both worlds (since it's only the two of us). Now if only the steering wheel position were electronic instead of a lever...

Last edited by GGM; 08-08-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Ya, I don't use the key dependent feature either. Just program into the door switches. Also, I don't use the 2nd key.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 AM

2009 E350Sport
Thanks folks - very helpful.

Am taking the car into the dealer - car pulls to the right (even taking into consideration the crown of the road), and I also can't set the the pass side ext mirror to the reverse gear memory - tried everything in the manual....

Am also gonna but the accessory for charing the Ipod....
Old 08-10-2009, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I know the "look down" parking feature of the passenger side mirror was deleted in MY 2007 production. I wasn't aware that it was reinststed in later years.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:58 PM

E350
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
I know the "look down" parking feature of the passenger side mirror was deleted in MY 2007 production. I wasn't aware that it was reinststed in later years.

It wasn't (at least in the U.S.). However, MB Dealerships are able to "re-enable" the feature in current E-Classes up to 2009 models (you need to take the vehicle into a WILLING dealership to do this though, there's no way for an average customer to do it themselves). It's just a matter of changing the software settings.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Thanks
I'm in Jersey too. Mine (a 4Matic) was outfitted with the Conti Pro Contacts. I found them only adequate with a light dusting of snow. So, I picked up winter wheels & tires at Tire Rack (balanced & shipped for 1100).
Old 08-10-2009, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 Sport 4Matic - P2 & Drivers Assist / 2010 C300 Sport 4Matic - P2 / 2013 Porsche Cayenne S
No need for winter tires; all my MBs have had the all-season Michelins and they have been pretty good in the NJ winters. Of course all of my cars are 4matics which also helps out a lot.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM

2009 E350Sport
Update

I got the Scosche Passport to help with Ipod charging, but it doesn't work. I called them up and they said that it is incompatible with the E350.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Thank you guys.

Just wanted to confirm for you that the charging adapter will work in an '05 E320 - works in mine!