More disturbing news on Navigation and Voice Activated Phones from MBUSA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by kaneman
Please excuse the harsh tone; I abhor class action lawsuits as 90% of the time the class ends up with bupkis and the attorneys walk away with rather astounding amounts.

I believe MB owes a proper explanation and a reasonable course of action; I do not believe the time has come (yet) for a lawsuit. Should they prove intransigent, then it's time to take action. As of yet we've seen very little from MB (which is a huge gaffe on their part), most of the information we are operating on is conjecture, rumor, and second-hand at best. While it's abhorrent to us as customers, IMO it's not actionable yet.
I think if you would reread the posts above you would see that no one (well...almost no one) is advocating a lawsuit. The premise is that if MB does not become much more forthcoming they may be setting themselves up for such a thing.
I feel sure that most of us understand what is actionable and what is not

Ed

Last edited by etenn; 02-22-2003 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
voice activation

My dealer just told me that my car to be delivered will not have voice activation and he cannot guarantee that it will be available for the 03' models!.....I made him include it in my contract anyway! So enjoy the quiet and perfomance of you E's and your HK's and whatever other options you have.....I had nav in my BMW and was looking forward to voice activation but alas.....this car better be as good as the press says.....I am still going to take delivery.

Ed Todd
03' E500
Black Opal
Ash Interior
Old 02-22-2003, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice thing about voice activation is that it IS retrofittable at pretty much any point as are the telephone and CD changer. COMAND, unfortunately, isn't (at least not easily). If I'm correct there's even a nub for the Linguatronic stalk on the steering column already.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:29 PM

Question

Personally, most of my driving is to familiar locations, and I whip out a $3 map maybe twice a year, so I don't really need a navigation system. However, I can easily see how these are useful for people with different circumstances.

My question is: what else does this new-fangled COMAND II have that would entice me to pay the $$ for it? I don't see a need to watch DVD movies from the front seat, and there is no rear video option (unlike my Ford Expedition). Are there some other cool features that I'm not aware of? Thanks for the input...
Old 02-22-2003, 03:38 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Well put, RedBaron. Very well put.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:56 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
I find the navi helpful on trips to unfamiliar locations. I like to take day trips on weekends. East coast sinage is poor in my experience, and navi is always on to confirm my location. If I am headed somewhere, and decide to detour for an excursion in an unfamiliar area, it is comforting to me to know I can always resume my original destination. Navi has helped me negotiate lots of exchanges where, without it, even with a map, I'd have no idea if I was heading the right or wrong way because there would be no confirmation of my location. With DVD, the coverage of a single disk is much broader, hence more options for trips. The old MB navi with a larger DVD data base would be fine. More bells and whistles are less important than the basic navigation functionality.

MB's failure to provide the navi is a significant negative for the enjoyment of my car. Moreover, I have a poor sense of direction and the navi is great comfort. Of course, I have no need for navi on familiar trips.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:34 PM

Thanks drb - my intention was not to start a discussion on the merits of on-board navigation, but rather to see if there is any compelling value in Comand II over and above naivgation. I agree these systems are best when used in unfamilar areas - I usually get a Hertz ForeverLost when I am on a business trip.

I can see big value in rear-seat entertainment, perhaps even "find the nearest ATM" or some other business type of features. Is any of this included?

04 E55 (on order) [470hp and the wife & kids can go along]