E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How do you remove the hood switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 MB E-500 & 2000 Honda Accord Coupe
How do you remove the hood switch

My hood switch is acting up, whenever I open the hood and close it I get a Open Hood Warning message. I open up the hood the mess around with the switch and close it again... warning message clears up. When I open it again to check something and close it, boom, there goes the message again.

The switch is not loose. So I think it is beginning to fail.

anybody?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
The switch is easy to remove, by taking the bolts out of the latch and pulling it up slightly to disconnect the connector. Then it just pops off of the latch. Most likely it is just that the metal tab that presses on the switch is bent down. If you take a hook and place it under the tab and bend it up slightly, it should fix the issue. We run into it at the dealership all of the time. When the latch is closed, the catch presses down on the tab, which activates the switch. After so many times of slamming the hood down, it tends to bend down causing the catch not to depress the switch fully....
Old 11-05-2009, 12:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Originally Posted by rizzy
The switch is easy to remove, by taking the bolts out of the latch and pulling it up slightly to disconnect the connector. Then it just pops off of the latch. Most likely it is just that the metal tab that presses on the switch is bent down. If you take a hook and place it under the tab and bend it up slightly, it should fix the issue. We run into it at the dealership all of the time. When the latch is closed, the catch presses down on the tab, which activates the switch. After so many times of slamming the hood down, it tends to bend down causing the catch not to depress the switch fully....

Thanks!

Mine actually was acting up too and it was not bent, but actually fell out of it's holder. Put it back, bent the tab a bit for good measure and no more annoying "Hood Open" message.