E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

What Killed My ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E320 Sport
What Killed My ?

I've got an '03 E320 Sport. Car's been super since new. Parked it for a week and now battery is SUPER DEAD. I mean FLAT! About 6 months ago I replaced the motorcycle-size battery under the hood without incident. Seems really odd battery going from fine to FLAT DEAD, but the car is almost 7 years old.

In an attempt to resurrect the car I put my battery charger on it, but odd things are going on. OK, don't flame me, but 20 years ago I was given this fancy Diehard charger (Royal POS) and it has a 24 Volt setting. I've never used the charger in 20 years, plug it in and wouldn't you know it - it was set to 24V. . Car came mildly to life (dash cluster luminated), then I noticed the charger and yanked it out. I really don't think it did any harm, but obviously dumb move.

I've had the charger on for a few minutes and can't really get any life out of it. Somehow though I got it now where the alarm siren goes if the battery's connected and I can't seem to get it to go off with the key, and the key won't lock or unlock car and car appears as completely dead as when I discovered it.

Any ideas what's going on? Do you think I screwed something up with the charger incident? Needless to saw I plan a serious Pete Townsend with the Battery Charger, swinging it by the cord into the ground until it's in at least more than one piece.

I'm desperate and really can't afford the dealer these days.

RZ Rob
Old 08-20-2009, 02:44 AM

'03 E320 Sport
In searching the Web, I found this thread and it sounds just like my situation. What made this happen do you suppose? Car's been ditched in my driveway for a little over a week while I was gone, with driver door unlocked.

Question
I went to start my 2003 Mercedes E320 sedan Monday morning and the key would not turn, I could not get it out of gear... no power AT ALL. No lights, windows don't work, power seats don't work... not power from the battery to the car AT ALL.

I assumed the battery was dead, go a 120V charger, but it said the battery was FULL as soon as I went to charge or jump it. Even with the charger connected, I got no power from ANYTHING in the car.

I also tried changing the key batteries today, but nothing changed.

The battery appears to be fine. They key batteries appear to be fine. But the key won't turn and there is NO power apparent between the battery and the rest of the car whatsoever. I also checked all of the "small" fuses under the hood (closest to the driver), and they all looked fine.
Submitted 255 days and 23 hours ago.
Category: Mercedes
Value: $45
+
Read More
Optional Information
2003 Mercedes-Benz E320 V6

Already Tried:
Charging/Jumping battery
Checking fuses in driver's side section under hood
Changed battery keys
Answer
Your security system has been locked down. The car must be reactivated with a mercedes benz
scantool interface. There are solinoids that have locked in the shifter and ignition lock cylinder.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...#ixzz0OhdtN4HH
Old 08-20-2009, 10:28 AM

'03 E320 Sport
**UPDATE**

After charging battery fully overnight, connected battery, and was able to reset alarm with key, start car and everything seems fine again. Don't know what killed battery though.

"ESP Not Available" message was on, but even that disappeared as I drove car and pushed buttons. Clock needed resetting, but radio presets survived.

RZ Rob
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
very weird..
Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
Get a new battery. I have a 2003 as well and the car started that shutting down accessories message a few months ago. I bought one a Pep Boys. God forbid but it is NOT an OEM battery. It is a Bosch with better ampacity and has the correct vent location. I did have to salvage the little PVC pipe from the old battery to the flex tube. I believe it was $104 out the door. Several here have reported very good results by calling M-B roadside assistance. I believe they get $145 for OEM and come to your location. As for the 24 volt spike, IF the car did survive the voltage spike, you are VERY lucky. I would tape that switch in the 12 V position permanently.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:49 PM

'03 E320 Sport
Like the tape idea, and car seems fine. Costco didn't have the battery, and Bosch must be good. I'm going to check with my dealer (wholsale parts dept) about the 'black top' battery.

RZ Rob
Old 10-30-2010, 06:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
The identical situation here. Dead, I mean really dead with no signs of life (had to use the mechanical key to open the trunk). And the car had been on my Battery Tender Plus. My portable battery starter only caused weak courtesy lights to come on and dash lights.

After endless attempts to get things going, I finally found the culprit--a loose battery connection at the terminal. The cable was connected but loose enough to rotate on the post. A few spins with the socket wrench and an assist from the battery starter and it started.

Sometimes it's the simplest solution.