2006 E320 CDI navigation dvd control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e 320 CDI
2006 E320 CDI navigation dvd control

Hello there
I need to install a navigation control unit to my 06 E320 CDI, what do i have to buy and what is the part number, there is a lot of unit for sale but
I dont know witch one is compatible with my car
VIN# WDBUF26J66A822413

Thank you
Sam
Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
You need a lot more than just the NAV unit (including a new Left Rear trunk liner panel)... and there is additional programming that must be done to the car so that it knows and can see there is a NAV system "in the loop". There is a wealth of posts here, but just so you know this is a big but doable job.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by sambajali
I need to install a navigation control unit to my 06 E320 CDI
Start here
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...it-w-pics.html
Old 08-24-2009, 07:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Do yourself a huge favor...

If what yu want to install is a MB factoryGPS unit...DON'T DO IT! I have a 2006 E320 CDI with the factory-installed GPS and it is, quite frankly, the very worst GPS I have ever used. The maps are pathetic. You think you can enter a street address in a city, one that has been there for decades? Dream on! If you are lucky you will only be able to get somewhere in the general vicinity and then you will get to do slow a drive-by looking for your house number. Large patches of city streets (and I mean old ones) are simply not there. Plus, you fgure that touch-screen technology is so old every gps has it? Drean on some more. Not the MB gps. You get to use little buttons on each side that are not or barely visible at night.

You are so much better of buying a Garmin portable gps. I bought a refurb 680 unit for $200 on Amazon and it is an utter pleasure to use, in comparison, and (amazing) knows all about the streets the MB unit is ignorant of.

I don't even bother to try with the MB unit, anymore.

They really should be ashamed to put such a thing in a $50,000 car.

- GRL

Originally Posted by sambajali
Hello there
I need to install a navigation control unit to my 06 E320 CDI, what do i have to buy and what is the part number, there is a lot of unit for sale but
I dont know witch one is compatible with my car
VIN# WDBUF26J66A822413

Thank you
Sam
Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 AM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Reference above post:

He is kind of right, except my OEM MB nav unit has always gotten me where I want to go. Sure the technology is kind of old, but it is pretty reliable. I have upgraded my Nav discs from 2005 to 2008 and I really like how the display comes up in the speedometer. The "turn now and countdown symbol" with the street name in the speedometer is very handy.

I also don't like having a unit stuck up on my dashboard. Having said that, he is also correct in saying that a portable GPS unit like a Garmin, has more up to date map information. Your choice.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
map update

I have the Nav system on me e320 2004, but want to know how to update the maps on it. Can anyone tell me how to? is it compatible with garmin maps? or need to buy special ones for MB?? Thanks!
Old 07-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 ML320CDI
You will have to purchase new DVD. www.mercedespartspeople.com is one place to look. Otherwise you can go directly to navteq.com and purchase it there.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:12 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Don's spend good maney after bad

Any $150 Garmin or TomTom GPS will have a feature where a voice will warn you that a turn is coming up and name the street that you are to turn onto. The display will have a visual cue telling you that a turn is coming up. The gps display on a W211 is so low on the dash that it is unsafe to use. You have to take yoir eyes far from the road. Further, the use of buttons instead of a touch-screen means that you spend even more time distracted from watching the road when you must enter commands.

It is a terrible system in function, capabilities, and ergonomics. No one should spend a penny on map upgrades when a vastly superior aftermarket gps with far superior maps cost much less.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by jimbo1mcm
He is kind of right, except my OEM MB nav unit has always gotten me where I want to go. Sure the technology is kind of old, but it is pretty reliable. I have upgraded my Nav discs from 2005 to 2008 and I really like how the display comes up in the speedometer. The "turn now and countdown symbol" with the street name in the speedometer is very handy.

I also don't like having a unit stuck up on my dashboard. Having said that, he is also correct in saying that a portable GPS unit like a Garmin, has more up to date map information. Your choice.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by nopcbs
Any $150 Garmin or TomTom GPS will have a feature where a voice will warn you that a turn is coming up and name the street that you are to turn onto. The display will have a visual cue telling you that a turn is coming up. The gps display on a W211 is so low on the dash that it is unsafe to use. You have to take yoir eyes far from the road. Further, the use of buttons instead of a touch-screen means that you spend even more time distracted from watching the road when you must enter commands.

It is a terrible system in function, capabilities, and ergonomics. No one should spend a penny on map upgrades when a vastly superior aftermarket gps with far superior maps cost much less.

- nopcbs
...or you can listen to the NAV system and look at the DIC in the speedo to see exactly where to turn.

I prefer no loose wires & unsightly nav unit perched on the dash, so I use the factory system. Its not the most modern or up to date hardware since it was designed in 2002-03 for the Euro 2002s & USA 2004s., but it will always get you there. For the price of a brand new Garmin, you can get the newest NAVUPDATE disk V9.0 from NAVTEQ. Or e-mail KYBENZ for one.