E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

03 E500: Fuel gauge problem, does not read properly.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
03 E500: Fuel gauge problem, does not read properly.

Hey guys, my cousin bought a E500 from a fellow member here a few months ago. It has a problem of reading the capacity of fuel (gas). Sometimes it will show empty but the car will have full tank of gas, sometimes it will show full gas tank but it will be half empty. Its very annoying because range meter also does not work. Is there anybody local to NJ, NY, PA, CT that can work on this problem for cheap? I got a quote of $1k with parts and labor from an independant mercedes mechanic.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yo Momma
no suggestions/advice?
Old 09-01-2009, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by ZEEK
Hey guys, my cousin bought a E500 from a fellow member here a few months ago. It has a problem of reading the capacity of fuel (gas). Sometimes it will show empty but the car will have full tank of gas, sometimes it will show full gas tank but it will be half empty. Its very annoying because range meter also does not work. Is there anybody local to NJ, NY, PA, CT that can work on this problem for cheap? I got a quote of $1k with parts and labor from an independant mercedes mechanic.
A little search showed $1K to be going rip off rate to replace fuel sensor/sensors. Do a search on fuel sender, tank sender etc. to reveal similar threads.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E320 CDI
I had this problem a couple of years ago. It was fixed under warranty so I do not know how much it would cost. I'll see if I can find the receipt to see what work was done.