Driving without your keys?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Driving without your keys?

Does anyone know how far or long you can drive your Keyless-Go car without your keys? I wanted to see if it was possible to drive the car without the keys inside and to my surprise the car allowed me to. I just drove up the block and back to see if it would shut off or something, but nothing happened. I didn’t want to go too far because the walk back to get my keys would have sucked. IMO it’s silly that the car even lets you take the car out of park without the keys inside the vehicle.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
Does anyone know how far or long you can drive your Keyless-Go car without your keys? I wanted to see if it was possible to drive the car without the keys inside and to my surprise the car allowed me to. I just drove up the block and back to see if it would shut off or something, but nothing happened. I didn’t want to go too far because the walk back to get my keys would have sucked. IMO it’s silly that the car even lets you take the car out of park without the keys inside the vehicle.
Until you stop the engine. It would be great if the engine cut off when the key is more than a certain distance away.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Until you stop the engine. It would be great if the engine cut off when the key is more than a certain distance away.
I thought that it would, I was thinking that I could leave my car running while I run into a store and not worry about someone stealing my car. It’s a good thing I tested it. Or my car would have found itself in a chop shop somewhere.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Not sure, but it sure would be nice if the "Key Not Detected" message flashed in the instrument panel when the engine is running and the person with the key walks off. I've had this happen twice when my wife has the key, and I drop her off and go park the car. When I turn off the car, I can't lock the car because I don't have the key, so I have to go get the key from her, then go back and lock the car.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E200 Kompressor
I consider this a safety feature. Since when you may get hijacked, the offender will be driving off with your car without the key and wont be stopped a few meters down the road to return to you with a demand for the keys. The offender(s) will probably only realise that they have no key once they have parked the car and switch it off. Sure they may then have all the opportunity in the world to hot wire or get replacement keys, but at least not without a bit of effort!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Not sure, but it sure would be nice if the "Key Not Detected" message flashed in the instrument panel when the engine is running and the person with the key walks off. I've had this happen twice when my wife has the key, and I drop her off and go park the car. When I turn off the car, I can't lock the car because I don't have the key, so I have to go get the key from her, then go back and lock the car.

I agree this would be a very "convenient" if not "important" feature. Lexus' Keyless Go has this feature... wonder why MB chose not to implement this...
Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by Ronaldk
I consider this a safety feature. Since when you may get hijacked, the offender will be driving off with your car without the key and wont be stopped a few meters down the road to return to you with a demand for the keys. The offender(s) will probably only realise that they have no key once they have parked the car and switch it off. Sure they may then have all the opportunity in the world to hot wire or get replacement keys, but at least not without a bit of effort!
I would prefer if it was timed or something, my main point is that I wouldnt want the thief/hijacker to reach his/her destination. I want the car to shut off while they are stopped at a traffic stop. But like Oggie said the car should at least remind the driver that the key are not in the car.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 BMW X5 SAV
I've read somewhere on this forum that you can drive 12 miles without your keys. If you care to test that theory also it might give a bit or a resolution... if the thieves' destination is more than 12 miles away your wish maybe granted.