Seized brake caliper pins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 e500 & 11 sti
Seized brake caliper pins

Hey

Im new to this forum and the mercedes world but ive been tinkering with cars for many yrs now

Anywho, my car currently has 90k miles and my service c+ is comming up in about 1000 miles so i decided to do my brake pads. I started with the passenger side and popped the pins out very easily and installed the pads in under 30 minutes. Now with the driver side, it wasnt as simple. I took the wheel off and been whackin the crap out of both caliper pins and neither will budge. Ive hammered it so much that it made the tip of the pin kind of flat. Anyone have any suggestions? I thought that maybe the pads maybe applying pressure to the pin, but i have moved both brake pads away fromt he pin and still nothing im out of ideas except get a bigger hammer and a better punch..

Last edited by braizedtofu; 09-27-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 E320 -wife's car now; 07 Porsche Boxster S - my toy
Originally Posted by braizedtofu
Hey

Im new to this forum and the mercedes world but ive been tinkering with cars for many yrs now

Anywho, my car currently has 90k miles and my service c+ is comming up in about 1000 miles so i decided to do my brake pads. I started with the passenger side and popped the pins out very easily and installed the pads in under 30 minutes. Now with the driver side, it wasnt as simple. I took the wheel off and been whackin the crap out of both caliper pins and neither will budge. Ive hammered it so much that it made the tip of the pin kind of flat. Anyone have any suggestions? I thought that maybe the pads maybe applying pressure to the pin, but i have moved both brake pads away fromt he pin and still nothing im out of ideas except get a bigger hammer and a better punch..
I just used vise grips to loosen them up to remove and then replaced all 4 pins per the service info instructions. The torx heads were so rusted up, I couldn't get a torx tip in there. BTW, the pins were $18/ea from the dealer and were not in stock.

Regards,
paul...