E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Roof Rack

Can't even believe I'm typing this question but my wife is now using our Suburban in the morning now that school has started and I now need to be able to carry my surfboards on top of the Beast. So, I am wondering if anybody has any guidance on roof racks. I am hoping to buy cheap and used of course. I am guessing they are available in black. I am also guessing that the placement of the rack itself won't interfere with the pano roof. Please confirm this too. Finally, any idea if this is a five minute on/off or more of a permanent fixture? I only surf one to two times per week so if it is a quick on/off I may just do that. I appreciate the help and apologize to all of you in advance for desecrating this fine automobile.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Basic roof rack part #66850266 (for comparison shopping, parts.com new $226.55) compatible with panoramic roof and easily attaches to trim strips in roof.
Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack-clipboard-1.jpg   Roof Rack-clipboard-2.jpg  

Last edited by konigstiger; 09-28-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Originally Posted by The Law
Can't even believe I'm typing this question but my wife is now using our Suburban in the morning now that school has started and I now need to be able to carry my surfboards on top of the Beast. So, I am wondering if anybody has any guidance on roof racks. I am hoping to buy cheap and used of course. I am guessing they are available in black. I am also guessing that the placement of the rack itself won't interfere with the pano roof. Please confirm this too. Finally, any idea if this is a five minute on/off or more of a permanent fixture? I only surf one to two times per week so if it is a quick on/off I may just do that. I appreciate the help and apologize to all of you in advance for desecrating this fine automobile.

Dude, this it too funny!!

I just bought an E55 this weekend and was about to post the exact same question (and for the same reason).

Konigstiger-Thanks for the info!

New Ride: Needs surf rack...

Old 10-02-2009, 12:04 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Basic roof rack part #66850266 (for comparison shopping, parts.com new $226.55) compatible with panoramic roof and easily attaches to trim strips in roof.
Fabulous information. Have you used parts.com before? I always ask before sending out my credit card info. The dealer quoted me $295 after I mentioned this price. Their original quote was $402. Freaking crooks.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
GL450; Audi Q7 sline; GX470-SOLD, E55-SOLD, Range Rover Supercharged-Sold
Fabulous information. Have you used parts.com before? I always ask before sending out my credit card info. The dealer quoted me $295 after I mentioned this price. Their original quote was $402. Freaking crooks.

I was poking around at a bike shop yesterday and they had a Thule catalog which showed a direct fit rack for the e class that uses the factory mounting points. Does anyone have this rack??? I would love to see pics of it becuase I really don't love how high the MB rack sits from the roof. Plus the Thule rack is likely less $$$.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R350
Originally Posted by cmarshack
I was poking around at a bike shop yesterday and they had a Thule catalog which showed a direct fit rack for the e class that uses the factory mounting points. Does anyone have this rack??? I would love to see pics of it becuase I really don't love how high the MB rack sits from the roof. Plus the Thule rack is likely less $$$.

Thanks!
I don't know for sure but the OEM unit may sit higher due to the panoramic roof clearance? One things for sure, you can never go wrong with a Mercedes-Benz engineered piece. Good luck!

I'm in the market for a roof rack as well, thanks Konigstiger
Old 10-02-2009, 03:55 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by cmarshack

Thanks!
I was unable to find an aftermarket option that flush mounted into the factory mounting points. Not sure why... anyway, I just pulled the trigger on the OEM rack from parts.com. Total price incl. shipping/tax was $262. I will give you guys the updates as they happen regarding service/timing/quality/etc.

Cheers.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I have the OEM (they were only available in silver/aluminum when I bought them). I use them for skies and they are good racks. They do fit very well and don't scratch the paint since they don't come in contact with it at all. There is just one problem (which is standard for all roof racks that I know): they get loud at speeds over 80 MPH. Since the speed limit here is 75 MPH, 85 MPH is totally normal and I can hear some noise. However, they are the quietest racks I have had so far. I also drop about 3 MPG on the highway when I have them on.

I just thought I should mention this, it is nothing new and I don't have a pano-roof.

just my 2 cents,

Steve
Old 10-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
OEM - participating MBUSA dealers fulfill orders.