E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

problem with CD changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 Sport
Unhappy problem with CD changer

While using the CD changer this morning, things were working fine, then a selection became muffled as did the next track, then it simply stopped playing cds altogether. The screen showed a message: "failed connection to CD player" or something like that and then displayed the word "tracks" with up and down arrows visible. Now the cds won't play nor will they advance tracks or eject nor will the lights light up. The am and fm radio plays normally. Needless to say that with less than 1200 mi. and 5 weeks of ownership, I am not a happy camper. Anyone have a similar problem? Well, it's going in first thing Mon. am. I have a feeling it (radio &/or CD changer) will need replacement.
Old 03-01-2003, 05:50 PM

CD Changer....

I've already had my CD changer replaced. Mine never stuttered like yours...the unit just lost power and was no longer recognized in the HK menus. Fortunately, my dealer had an in-dash changer in stock and replaced it quickly.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:47 PM

2007 E350 Sport
gobenz

Did your CD player not light up or allow ejection of the CDs also?
Old 03-01-2003, 11:36 PM

carnaught

Yep...you got it. My CD changer all of a sudden just failed to exist. No power, no ejection of cd's, no recognition in the menu system. When I pushed "CD" on the HK menu, the usual 'magazine' option wasn't listed...and when I pushed the button to raise the panel hiding the unit within the center console, out popped the cd changer with NO lights.

As I stated in my earlier post, the unit was replced and all is well...except the cd's that were in the cd changer are still in the unit. The dealer couldn't get them out and shipped the entire unit (w/ my cd's in it) back to Germany. I'm supposed to get the cd's back once they are removed, but I'm not holding my breath!

2/17/03 - The service department repair order states "verified cd changer has no power (will not load or eject and will not access from radio). Most loop intact other than cd changer. Check system with sds. Found cd changer not seen on most loop. Replaced cd changer due to internal contact fault. Recheck - "OK" (Disks in changer will be returned)."

I regret that you are experiencing the same type of problem, and hope this info helps.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:38 AM

2012 CLS
I've had 2 problems but they both seem to have resolved themselves.

Dor a day we lost sound to boththe CD and radio - the lights were on just no sound -and no the volume was not down and mute not on. After 5 hours it just came back.

Second problem was CD seemed to get a bit confused and ended up stuck palying one CD with the message "PLEASE WAIT".

Could not change tracks, turn on radio, or adjust volume. All back to normal when restarted the car later that day.

Marc777
Old 03-02-2003, 11:25 AM

2007 E350 Sport
Unhappy gobenz and marc777

Thanks for your replies. My problem is just like yours gobenz and not involving malfunction of the radio (or spontaneous resolution) like yours, marc777. It is a bit disconcerting that the six cds couldn't be removed and had to take a trip abroad to Germany. It will be interesting to see if they make it back to the States. I would hate to think of losing the cds, especially since one is limited production, hard to replace. I'm sure MB will not pay for their replacement if they are not returned.

Anyway, thanks for the info. It allows me to "prepare" for what's to come. I doubt my dealer will have a cd changer in stock to replace it right away. I also hope they don't screw-up my dash and create all sorts of rattles, defects, etc. on a 1200 mi., "virginal" car. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:14 PM

2007 E350 Sport
Unhappy follow/up

Car's now in the shop. A part is supposedly coming in tomorrow, and I'll get the car back tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it.

Stay tuned.....
Old 03-05-2003, 07:04 PM

2007 E350 Sport
Cool follow/up

Car is back after two days in waiting for a part. The cd changer with all six cd's is now working flawlessly. All-in-all a pretty painless situation (as long as this or other frequent glitches don't occur). The worst part of the experience was the 2002 ML320 loaner. That vehicle feel very top heavy and is punishing over bumps. If it was my only exposure to or experience with MB, I wouldn't buy one (a Benz). I'm glad to have my "E" back.

BTW, my cd player did not have to be sent to Germany with cds in it, unlike another poster.