Some weird sounds ... hiss/grind

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Some weird sounds ... hiss/grind

Hello boys and girls,

Just got me first Benz. Dark blue '03 E500. Very nice ... loving it! Compare that to my VW Cabrio and you know how I feel now...

Of course some questions came up after hearing some weird sounds.

I've gone through my manual and through the forum so I know that the few seconds of tremble and noise at the brake paddle comes from the SBC... no worries there.

In the left front 'm hearing a short hiss sometimes when slowing down or braking. It is like something needs to let some air out like a semi-truck does... It only seems to happen the first few minutes though. Not 100% sure because I don't drive that far/much.

My guess here is the airmatic strut leaking. Any suggestions?

Just had a B-Service done by my 'guy' (worked for Benz for 15 years and is an honest man). He couldn't find anything wrong with it but they didn't go into depth to find the cause for the hissing sound.

Also, at slow speeds it sounds/feels like I hear some tremble or grinding. It doesn't sound that bad that it really worries me though. It feels like it is slowing down the car a little bit but that might just be my imagination... I think this sounds comes from the right side of the car.

Any ideas on it all?

Thanks for your input!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E550; 2003 E500
The airmatic self adjusts when you change speeds (for example: getting off a highway on the off ramp - you will see the airmatic raise the car at a stop.) If you dont have a warning message you should be ok. Check the level with plain eyesight to make sure it's fine. If you see the strut struggling to keep that side up, then you have a leak - but that should set off a code.

As for the trembling/grinding, check your tires for uneven wear first and switch them around to the left side to see if the noise moves with the tire.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 AM

2003 E500
The car seems level and I haven't seen it struggle. The raising/lowering works fine and the two lower sport settings work fine too. Car is level with all settings.

Just seems like some air is getting in somewhere that needs to get out once the front of the car gets a push down by braking or letting go of the gas.

I need to replace my rear tires but they are worn even. We'll see if that takes care of the tremble/grind.

Thanks Merc
Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
pics
Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM

2003 E500
I actually had it inspected by the benz dealer before I bought it. Everything looked good. Although they missed that one of the lug nuts was missing from the left rear.. Just found out myself today.

I also need some rear tires. Maybe that can be the problem..