E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

almost ashamed to ask - put back the gear shift console

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 e320 cdi
almost ashamed to ask - put back the gear shift console

I'm looking at adding ipod connectivity and bluetooth capability to my 2006 w211. To do that, I lifted the ashtray cover and popped loose the centre gear shift console. But I didn't have time to proceed with the installation, so I wanted to put everything back. As easy as it was to pop loose the gear shift console, for the life of me I couldn't put the darn thing back the way it was. Has anyone had the same problem? Any trick needed to snap the gear shift console back in the normal position? I took out 2 screws between the ashtray and the gear shift console thinking it's what I need to take out the ashtray, but as it turned out, I didn't need to take out those two screws. So, I tightened the screws in the original holes. I wouldn't think that's related to the fact that I simply couldn't push the gear shift console back to the original position. Any suggestions?

thanks very much!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:09 AM

07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
The first time I did it, it went back with "a snap." The second time I did it...I couldn't get the shifter-gate panel back in. The rear-most portion goes into position first, and then the front section is supposed to snap downward. My problem was with how the front locking-tabs aligned with the plastic frame that it was snapping into. I think I used a credit card to guide the locking tabs down into the plastic frame.
Note the irony of using a credit card! If memory serves me correctly, the piece that you have removed is very expensive if you snap off the locking tabs.

Slowly...with patience should do the trick. (and, I'm not a mechanic)
Old 12-22-2009, 11:44 AM

E500 & ML500
I usually turn on the ignition (but don't start the car) and place the car in "Drive", then switch off the car. At this point in order to re-install the gear shift surround, I place the rear section of the surround in first. Basically I place both of my hands at the front of the surround, while pushing it back. With pressure still applied, I gently try to snap in the front clips. Hope that helps.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:31 PM

2006 e320 cdi
Thank you!

Appreciate both of you for the suggestions! Yesterday was frustrating, I will try again today, I am hoping that it would just go back with "a snap." At least no need to guide with the pla$tic$

Thanks, again!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM

07 E350 4Matic / Sport with P1
Originally Posted by anewbie
...At least no need to guide with the pla$tic$
Thanks, again!
Yeah, lets hope you don't need that credit card for anything other than treating yourself to something.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e350
I just had mine replaced under warranty and my service advisor said it is a $400 part! I saw an excellent condition one at Potomac German auto online (pgauto.com) for like $130 (they sell on ebay too).