E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Got rear ended on the motorway, some strong brakes new E has!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got rear ended on the motorway, some strong brakes new E has!

After happy 20k miles/32k kms, unfortunately, yesterday morning I had a chance to test brakes/safety of the new E in a mild collision. There was an emergency braking involved and the car behind didn't stop and crashed into the back of my car. I really can't estimate the speed he got into me with any kind of precision, I was stationary.
Everything worked fine, the headrests and seatbelts. One thing that kinda shocked me is that after the impact I noticed the tach needle still hovering in idle - the engine didn't stop or miss the beat! I don't know, it kinda amazed me. It's got broken rear lights, rear bumper, bent trunklid, bent tailpipe/damaged silencer and some underbody damage.
The result, as I thought before, is that new E brakes have some excellent stopping power and the car feels safe, I don't know how it really is compared to other cars in its' class, but it FEELS very solid and safe. I just love it.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Re: Got rear ended on the motorway, some strong brakes new E has!

Originally posted by KnightRider
After happy 20k miles/32k kms, unfortunately, yesterday morning I had a chance to test brakes/safety of the new E in a mild collision. There was an emergency braking involved and the car behind didn't stop and crashed into the back of my car. I really can't estimate the speed he got into me with any kind of precision, I was stationary.
Everything worked fine, the headrests and seatbelts. One thing that kinda shocked me is that after the impact I noticed the tach needle still hovering in idle - the engine didn't stop or miss the beat! I don't know, it kinda amazed me. It's got broken rear lights, rear bumper, bent trunklid, bent tailpipe/damaged silencer and some underbody damage.
The result, as I thought before, is that new E brakes have some excellent stopping power and the car feels safe, I don't know how it really is compared to other cars in its' class, but it FEELS very solid and safe. I just love it.
hey knight, sorry about your accident. hope your feeling okay. its good to hear that the car is safe though. so how long will it be in the shop for?
Old 03-14-2003, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Sorry to hear you got rear ended, KnightRider, but it's good to know your car performed well in the emergency situation. Hope you are OK.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:24 AM

Thank you guys for the concern. I feel ok, just have a strained neck.
Here is a pic. It doesn't look too bad, but with all the insurance hassle it will take rather long before it's on the road again.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200K (w204)
Ouch, so sorry man , the E class really has a very strong brake, i've tested it once stop very very good
Old 03-14-2003, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs up

Glad to see youre okay.
The E really stood up to that rear pounding ... excellent car.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm glad you are ok! Would you happen to know how fast the other guy was going and what he was driving?