E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Akebono Brakes and wear sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI, SL550, clk550

I just put some Akebono pads in the front. The wear sensor does not fit as the hole in the pad material is too far toward the disc. I just tie wrapped the sensor for now but I'm wondering if anybody else has run into this? Also, I didn't put my VOM on it but does the sensor have a resistor in it or is the circuit closed=good and open=brake wear? Worst case I can jump it if I need to. Thanks.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
14 e63s,03 e55, 69 280s, 92 500e, 95 e320, 08 lancer

You can drill a new hole for the sensor.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 AM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by karwerk
You can drill a new hole for the sensor.
It's sloppy though. You end up drilling about 1/3 of the way into the old hole so you've got an elongated mess. I just pulled the sensor out for now but it's not factory. I'll probably stick with the dusty Textar pads in the future.

On a brighter note, MB's and Porsches are so nice to do brake work on compared to many American cars. No caliper pull, just take the pads out the top and put the pins back in. 15 minutes a wheel on the Benz and I can do a 911 in 10 minutes a wheel because the pin has a clip.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
I just put some Akebono pads in the front. The wear sensor does not fit as the hole in the pad material is too far toward the disc. I just tie wrapped the sensor for now but I'm wondering if anybody else has run into this? Also, I didn't put my VOM on it but does the sensor have a resistor in it or is the circuit closed=good and open=brake wear? Worst case I can jump it if I need to. Thanks.
Its just a closed circuit. Wear indicator is activated when open circuit (and perhaps when shorting to rotor). Jumping it would do the trick.

I recently replaced front and rears with Akebonos and realized only rear pads came with a pair of wear sensors. I was able to use one for the front pad from the rear set since my car uses only one sensor each on passenger side wheels only.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 AM

E320 CDI, SL550, clk550
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Its just a closed circuit. Wear indicator is activated when open circuit (and perhaps when shorting to rotor). Jumping it would do the trick.

I recently replaced front and rears with Akebonos and realized only rear pads came with a pair of wear sensors. I was able to use one for the front pad from the rear set since my car uses only one sensor each on passenger side wheels only.
Mine had the two sensors as well for the back. Unfortunatley, they are the wrong sensors. A single pole version. I just ordered the correct sensors for $5 each. I'll drill the pads when I put the sensors in but I'm going to have to figure out a high temp glue to hold them. It's kind of turning out to be a PITA. I'm fine with doing the work but they really should tell you it's not a factory fit.

If you cross reference the pads they show a fit across multiple makes and models. That's why it gets screwed up.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Boulder GT3
Mine had the two sensors as well for the back. Unfortunatley, they are the wrong sensors. A single pole version. I just ordered the correct sensors for $5 each. I'll drill the pads when I put the sensors in but I'm going to have to figure out a high temp glue to hold them. It's kind of turning out to be a PITA. I'm fine with doing the work but they really should tell you it's not a factory fit.

If you cross reference the pads they show a fit across multiple makes and models. That's why it gets screwed up.
I guess I was just lucky though a little annoyed the fronts did not come with sensors.