E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Front Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E500
Originally Posted by vettdvr
Be sure the bearings are correct. The oem have a chamfer on the inner race that seats on the spindle. If you have a conventional square cut bearing you can have a bearing failure.

Hope this is helpful. Buying a complete hub and installng is really a good way to go on this bearing.
From what I've read, it sounded like people in the past were trying to utilize non-oem bearings as maybe the oem bearing wasn't available on its own. Are people still not utilizing the OEM bearings available from MB?
Old 02-15-2013, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003s55amg
we all make mistakes with life and machines,we should be helping and encouraging one another not critical
Old 04-24-2018, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300D
Originally Posted by vettdvr
You are correct it is very easy to put too much preload on a bearing.

Here is how I do it and your results may vary. (I have never had a failure using my method but it is possible to have a failure) (my disclaimer )

[1] I will rotate the hub while using a wrench to LIGHTLY snug up the bearing nut.

[2] Once the nut is snug I will back off the nut and tighten again VERY LIGHTLY. This is to take the bearing to ZERO 0.000" clearance.

[3] This time with the nut snug STOP rotating the hub.

[4] Back off the nut just enough so you can move it with your fingers.

[5] Then WITHOUT turning the hub tighten the nut to a light finger tight position then lock it in place.

Remember when the bearing heats up the internal clearance gets tighter and will increase the preload and pressures can exceed the film strength of the lubricant resulting in bearing failure.

Now this is how I do it and I won't recommend this to anyone. But for me it works.

vettdvr.
I bet that would work just fine. The manual says tighten the bolt and spin the wheel until there is no play and the wheel cannot be turned without effort, back the nut off slightly, measuring the play with a dial caliper. Should be no more play than .02mm or .787 thousands