E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Magnesium Chloride and your Forged wheels finish...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Magnesium Chloride and your Forged wheels finish...?

You guys from Florida, California, Atlanta, etc. prolly will have no idea what I'm asking about here, but you guys in states that have snow and winter will... My MRR GT1's (black with polished lip) have been exposed to Mag Chlor here in Colorado and the polished lips are all corroded and pitted... I waxed the wheels in the early Fall hoping against all hope that they would stand a decent chance to survive winter here but no luck... Now I'm aware that these are cheap wheels so I don't need to hear that... Question is, anyone running forged aluminum wheels have better luck against corrosion and pitting when exposed to Mag Chlor...? The only vehicle I own that DOESN'T have corroded/pitted wheels is my wife's ML320CDI with the stock Silver painted wheels so if Forged Aluminum wheels can't hack winter weather, I'll look into silver painted wheels for winter...
Old 01-18-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Thanks for the tip. I love my MRR GT1s. Now my car stays garaged during winter except on perfect dry weekend days. I used OEM wheels when I drove during winter 07.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by pinebaron
Thanks for the tip. I love my MRR GT1s. Now my car stays garaged during winter except on perfect dry weekend days. I used OEM wheels when I drove during winter 07.
+1 Shop around for a good/cheap set of OEM wheels and never worry about this problem again.
Old 01-19-2010, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by onthewall01
+1 Shop around for a good/cheap set of OEM wheels and never worry about this problem again.
I have the set of OEM wheels but since I stopped using the car for my daily commute, I can't stand getting it dirty. Yeah I'm really nuts and