E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Newb AMG Exhaust help !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb AMG Exhaust help !

Ok, so I got this great deal on a e63 bumper and complete exhaust to go on my e500. Havent gotten around to take them to a shop and have them installed yet, but from what i have been reading, the e63 exhaust in going to be very quiet? on my car.

Im looking to get a little rumble and roar from the exhaust and what I have been seeing is people remove resonator (xpipe?) and secondary cats if im not mistaken to get a little more sound.

so if im not mistaken, if we delete the resonator, there will be a chunk missing from the exhaust, what do i need to buy the put there... or do I have this all wrong lol.

So can someone who has done the same set up tell me specifically what parts I need to order to have the shop do the work for me ?? sorry for the long post, will definitely be posting pics in a few days, calipers are currently getting painted. THANKS!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
I only removed the resonator on my car. I was looking for some sound, but not loudness. On my car, it sounds nice on startup and acceleration, but quiet at cruising speeds.

I can't comment on removing secondary cats, but if you remove your resonator, all you have to do is have the muffler shop replace it with either a straight pipe or x-pipe. I went straight. It's a cheap job ~$60. Keep your resonator. If you don't like how it sounds, you can always put it back on.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 PM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
I put an E55 exhaust on my E500 and it was very quiet. I then removed the resonator and replaced it with an X-pipe and it was slightly sportier, but still pretty mellow. I then partially gutted the mufflers by removing the steel wool packing, fiberglass matt, etc. It's a bit more sporty but certainly not loud and still fairly mellow... Some have completely gutted the E55 muffs including the metal baffles and that sounds pretty good to me...
Old 02-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the input fellas. I will be getting the exhaust installed in a week or so, removing the resonator and probably straight pipes installed. Ill see how that sounds first, if still too mellow, probably end up guttin them too. sounds clips to come!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Listen to my sound clips in this thread, post #4.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...haust-oem.html

My setup in those clips is as follows: VRP shorty headers, secondary cats removed, resonator replaced with an X-Pipe, and E55 mufflers.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:56 PM

07 E63. 07 STi limited #606/800
just to ask and sorry to hi-jack the thread, but if i were to remove the resonator on an 07 e350 will it make that annoying drone noise at freeway speeds? i do a lot of freeway commuting, 7 hours each way about once or so a month.

and does it sound nice and sporty when you do WOT?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
Originally Posted by infantry
just to ask and sorry to hi-jack the thread, but if i were to remove the resonator on an 07 e350 will it make that annoying drone noise at freeway speeds? i do a lot of freeway commuting, 7 hours each way about once or so a month.

and does it sound nice and sporty when you do WOT?
Originally Posted by tbone
I only removed the resonator on my car. I was looking for some sound, but not loudness. On my car, it sounds nice on startup and acceleration, but quiet at cruising speeds.