Navigation and Other Issues in Perspective

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 04:35 PM
jhb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone

It seems that we are all MB enthusiasts or, at least, automobile enthusiasts. We take pretty seriously all the issues: navigation, wood wheels, ticking sounds, etc. etc. When we are concentrating on these issues, they do take on a lot of significance. However, I just wanted to bring some perspective to the forum in, hopefully, a non-political way.

First, for most of us who have taken delivery, we have truly wonderful cars. The problems are the problems, experienced to lesser or greater degrees by all of us. We are truly lucky to be able to afford them and to enjoy them. The vast majority of folks don't even dream of driving a new automobile, much less one that costs what our MBs cost.

Second, the forum is a wonderful place for us to meet and share thoughts with people from all over the world. That, to me, is far more important than any problem or, frankly, any automobile. I have enjoyed the exchange with all of you, from Australasia, to Asia, to the Middle East, to Europe, to the Americas and elsewhere. Thank you. I feel a kindred spirit from communicating with you.

Third, for a significant portion of the world, a conflict is in progress that affects them deeply. There will be lives lost, injuries sustained, disruption and despair-on many sides. There are many opinions about the situation and my purpose is not to take any sides. Additionally, there is a disease spreading that doesn't seem to be easy to deal with. Again, lives have been lost and disrupted. I do think and want to share with you that these situations make me think my problems with navigation and voice activated phone modules are pretty insignificant!!!

I pray for the lives of all folks everywhere, you all included. I don't think I will be praying for navigation or the voice module.

Thank you for giving me a reason to have this perspective.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2003, 04:59 PM

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
jhb, well said...

Apurva
Old 03-20-2003, 06:05 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks JHB!

Very well said.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:10 PM

AMEN.

When put like that,our day to day problems seem petty by comparision.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:15 PM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
I appreciate your perspective JHB. I want to amplify your view, and add another angle tying world events to our cars.

Regarding your third point, there are conflicts all over the world at this very moment, not just one. There is more than one disease spreading that is difficult to handle. You might include those who are still recovering from recent conflicts now relegated to history. Those lives have been changed forever.

Our MBs, with all their warts and wonders, are a measure of our quality of life, and for some a statement about their station in life. For some these cars represent a significant outlay, some amount of pride, a degree of safety, pure joy, and an expectation that they will work well with a minimum of fuss.

Having endured a recent conflict, among many things, my MB serves to level if not help to overcome the grief, mourning, sorrow and loss that has dominated my life since 11SEPT01. My wife was burned alive that day along with a dozen of my friends caught up in the attacks. My wife loved the Mercedes. She felt safe and special in the car. She had fond memories from her earliest years of countless vacations in her family Mercedes. For some of us these cars are an integral part of our lives.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:34 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
drb,

Thank you for the additional perspective. Your post really touches me. I am sorry for your losses.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2003, 09:34 PM

2006 Acura RL
I guess I don't really understand why everybody is so up in arms over NAV and the other issues. I had a car with Nav for awhile and honestly, I barely ever used it. It was more of a toy than a real option. Just like the automatic climate control on my old E430. 95% of the time, I used it like a manual control.

MB isn't going to buy back cars and take a huge loss for a handful of disgruntled buyers. If they refund your money and say sorry - then consider yourself lucky. Buy a map.

Furthermore, cars are not spaceships. They have faults. Every car I have ever owned had problems. I used to have a Dodge Intrepid that had a cursed driver's side door. My old E430 had nagging issues here and there. Heck, my father's Lexus even has annoying problems. This is par for the course. You buy a car, its going to have issues. Any complex peice of machinery will have faults and problems.

My dealership has been extremely nice and supportive. Any mechanical issues were resolved (on my old E430) reasonably quickly. They were kind and supportive all the time.

Personally, I am happy when I take my car in and they give me a free latte and a place to plug in my laptop. I don't need to be waited on hand and foot nor would I want it. Unlike some of the folks here - I've built a business and earned every dime I have. As such, I don't whine like a little baby everytime something on my car stops working. I schedule a visit, take it in, have it fixed and move on with my life. Yeah it sucks - but so what. At least I have a place to take the car.

I consider myself very lucky to have such a nice car. Most people can't even afford a car, let alone a Mercedes. Cars are objects. As much as I love my car, I'll never forget that it is just a machine. And machines break.

So you don't have NAV and the engine ticks. Go rent a Pontiac Grand Scam for a day and you'll quickly realize what a wonderful car you have.

People are dying right now for our right to complain. Remember that and consider yourself lucky that you have such luxuries when others are getting killed so rich, oil drenched billionares can protect their investments (and their political positions).
Old 03-21-2003, 10:30 AM

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally posted by drb
Having endured a recent conflict, among many things, my MB serves to level if not help to overcome the grief, mourning, sorrow and loss that has dominated my life since 11SEPT01. My wife was burned alive that day along with a dozen of my friends caught up in the attacks. My wife loved the Mercedes. She felt safe and special in the car. She had fond memories from her earliest years of countless vacations in her family Mercedes. For some of us these cars are an integral part of our lives.
Sorry for your loss drb...shows your strength that through all of this you still are able to interact with this forum and members in a way that no-one would have known what you have gone through.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:50 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally posted by aplato
I guess I don't really understand why everybody is so up in arms over NAV and the other issues. I had a car with Nav for awhile and honestly, I barely ever used it. It was more of a toy than a real option. Just like the automatic climate control on my old E430. 95% of the time, I used it like a manual control.

MB isn't going to buy back cars and take a huge loss for a handful of disgruntled buyers. If they refund your money and say sorry - then consider yourself lucky. Buy a map.

Furthermore, cars are not spaceships. They have faults. Every car I have ever owned had problems. I used to have a Dodge Intrepid that had a cursed driver's side door. My old E430 had nagging issues here and there. Heck, my father's Lexus even has annoying problems. This is par for the course. You buy a car, its going to have issues. Any complex peice of machinery will have faults and problems.

My dealership has been extremely nice and supportive. Any mechanical issues were resolved (on my old E430) reasonably quickly. They were kind and supportive all the time.

Personally, I am happy when I take my car in and they give me a free latte and a place to plug in my laptop. I don't need to be waited on hand and foot nor would I want it. Unlike some of the folks here - I've built a business and earned every dime I have. As such, I don't whine like a little baby everytime something on my car stops working. I schedule a visit, take it in, have it fixed and move on with my life. Yeah it sucks - but so what. At least I have a place to take the car.

I consider myself very lucky to have such a nice car. Most people can't even afford a car, let alone a Mercedes. Cars are objects. As much as I love my car, I'll never forget that it is just a machine. And machines break.

So you don't have NAV and the engine ticks. Go rent a Pontiac Grand Scam for a day and you'll quickly realize what a wonderful car you have.

People are dying right now for our right to complain. Remember that and consider yourself lucky that you have such luxuries when others are getting killed so rich, oil drenched billionares can protect their investments (and their political positions).
Just a wild guess here - you're a Democrat? Just forget it and buy a map? If the A/C doesn't work, just forget it and buy a hand fan. If the heater doesn't work - just forget it and put on warmer clothes. NOT! I use the NAV all the time - as a matter of fact, I just bought a complete set of 11 CDs for my old Comand System. I am driving coast to coast next week, so I had to spend $300 for the entire set (they charge $150/CD). It really ticks me off that I have to do this because MB is so many years behind even Ford or Chevy in their NAVs, (no DVD). Even the new one will not be touch screen. Please don't tell me to go buy a Ford or Chevy - that's a childish response. I just think you have a right to demand more of an automobile company that demands premium prices, and purports to be a premium brand. I guess MB has all the business it wants. I know a lot of people who decided not to buy the W211 because of the NAV problem. " At least I have a place to take the car." What does that mean? Now we should be thankful they will agree to work on our cars?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:01 AM
drb

03 E320, sport package, moon roof, sound upgrade, brilliant silver, charcoal leather, heated seats..
Originally posted by hpilot
Just a wild guess here - you're a Democrat? Just forget it and buy a map? If the A/C doesn't work, just forget it and buy a hand fan. If the heater doesn't work - just forget it and put on warmer clothes. NOT! I use the NAV all the time - as a matter of fact, I just bought a complete set of 11 CDs for my old Comand System. I am driving coast to coast next week, so I had to spend $300 for the entire set (they charge $150/CD). It really ticks me off that I have to do this because MB is so many years behind even Ford or Chevy in their NAVs, (no DVD). Even the new one will not be touch screen. Please don't tell me to go buy a Ford or Chevy - that's a childish response. I just think you have a right to demand more of an automobile company that demands premium prices, and purports to be a premium brand. I guess MB has all the business it wants. I know a lot of people who decided not to buy the W211 because of the NAV problem. " At least I have a place to take the car." What does that mean? Now we should be thankful they will agree to work on our cars?
You took the words right out of my mouth. Thanks
Old 03-21-2003, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500

.....for a handful of disgruntled buyers.

..... Unlike some of the folks here - I've built a business and earned every dime I have. As such, I don't whine like a little baby everytime something on my car stops working....

You pay nearly $70K for a car including navigation prepaid...and you are a "disgruntled buyer"

Which folks are you talking about. Where do you think the people here got their money? If you don't want to hear people discuss the MB...don't read them "whine like a little baby"

I guess the last paragraph above says it all. George Bush is responsible for all the trouble on our cars..just like he is responsible for everything else in the world

Suggest you take your political posts to the Offtopic Forum where you will get a good discussion.

Don't come on here and call names and tell us not to express our opinions, good and bad, about our cars.

Ed
Old 03-21-2003, 11:44 AM

2006 Acura RL
Originally posted by hpilot
1. What does my political affiliation have to do with any of this? Talk about childish responses.

2. All I was trying to say was that maybe you should consider yourself lucky that the largest problem you car has is a lack of NAV. Many people don't even have cars, let alone NAV units.

Andrew Plato
Old 03-21-2003, 11:47 AM
dtm
Almost a Member!

01 CLK 320 Cab
Geez, you guys are all so quick on your keyboards, I didn't get a chance to chime in before most of you expressed my own thoughts. Well said all. I am at my wit's end with people trying to argue that our presence in Iraq is solely for the purpose of lining the pockets of oil executives...how ridiculous.

While we all pray for the safety of those involved in conflict, and for those who have already dealt with this in a very personal way (you and your family in my prayers tonight drb), let's continue to enjoy what we're on this forum to do: discuss our cars, whether delivered or on order, both good and bad aspects, and to share opinions with complete strangers who in some way share our passion for our cars. My best to all of you.

dtm
Old 03-21-2003, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
1. What does my political affiliation have to do with any of this? Talk about childish responses.

2. All I was trying to say was that maybe you should consider yourself lucky that the largest problem you car has is a lack of NAV. Many people don't even have cars, let alone NAV units.

Andrew Plato
Read the last paragraph of your first post. You post that and then complain if someone else mentions politics? What kind of elitism rubbish is that??

You still do not believe that people on this board (most of which have been here for a long time) should continue to discuss our feelings about our car? I think you are on the wrong forum.

I have a lot of problem with people inferring that we are whining cry babies and should in effect "shut up".

Ed

Last edited by etenn; 03-21-2003 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:40 PM

Everybody take a deep breath and count to ten!

We are forgetting what this thread is SUPPOSED to be about!

Here is the original message. It was never intended to create conflict. Rather, the point was to foster appreciation for what we have and hold dear.

It seems that we are all MB enthusiasts or, at least, automobile enthusiasts. We take pretty seriously all the issues: navigation, wood wheels, ticking sounds, etc. etc. When we are concentrating on these issues, they do take on a lot of significance. However, I just wanted to bring some perspective to the forum in, hopefully, a non-political way.

First, for most of us who have taken delivery, we have truly wonderful cars. The problems are the problems, experienced to lesser or greater degrees by all of us. We are truly lucky to be able to afford them and to enjoy them. The vast majority of folks don't even dream of driving a new automobile, much less one that costs what our MBs cost.

Second, the forum is a wonderful place for us to meet and share thoughts with people from all over the world. That, to me, is far more important than any problem or, frankly, any automobile. I have enjoyed the exchange with all of you, from Australasia, to Asia, to the Middle East, to Europe, to the Americas and elsewhere. Thank you. I feel a kindred spirit from communicating with you.

Third, for a significant portion of the world, a conflict is in progress that affects them deeply. There will be lives lost, injuries sustained, disruption and despair-on many sides. There are many opinions about the situation and my purpose is not to take any sides. Additionally, there is a disease spreading that doesn't seem to be easy to deal with. Again, lives have been lost and disrupted. I do think and want to share with you that these situations make me think my problems with navigation and voice activated phone modules are pretty insignificant!!!

I pray for the lives of all folks everywhere, you all included. I don't think I will be praying for navigation or the voice module.

Thank you for giving me a reason to have this perspective.

Jeff
Old 03-21-2003, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
gobenz....I think we all saw Jeff's original post and agreed with it. However, I don't think it is your place or anyone else to tell us how to respond to insulting posts. I don't believe that anyone on this forum is required to take insults from anyone...nor should we turn the other cheek. You are certainly entitled to do this, but please do not chastise other members for expressing their opinions on this or any other thread.

This person should take his political opinions, regardless of what they may be, to the Off Topic forum where it is accepted.

Ed
Old 03-21-2003, 09:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 GLE 450
Like most everyone else it appears, I was a little offended at aplato's remarks. People read and post on these forums to get information. I have benefitted a great deal from posts from people about problems with their cars. It is for the benefit of other owners, which I greatly appreciate and certainly didn't consider as whining.

BTW, aplato, I didn't see any posters calling you a whiner when you "whined" about "misleading lease extension terms."

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=30754
Old 03-21-2003, 09:51 PM

Take a pill...

WHERE did I chastise you or anyone else?

I am attempting to return this thread to civility where it was intended to go in the first place.

This was initially a very decent thread...trashed by one and too many others took the bait.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Re: Take a pill...

Originally posted by gobenz
WHERE did I chastise you or anyone else?

I am attempting to return this thread to civility where it was intended to go in the first place.

This was initially a very decent thread...trashed by one and too many others took the bait.
That would, of course, be just your opinion...just as our posts were our opinion I don't think that you were appointed the "civility" monitor. "Take a pill????" That was civil.:p

Ed
Old 03-22-2003, 06:02 AM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
Political input

Since all's fair in love and war, I guess it is OK to input some political opinion on this board. After all petroleum is a factor in both this conflict and in keeping our Mercedes' rolling. That said, if the US was really only after control of Iraq's oil we could have stopped the war this morning after already capturing the oil fields and said the heck with continuing the costly efforts to assist the apparently ungrateful citizens of central Iraq.