Damage to rear airmatic springs during shock replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 e500 & 11 sti
Damage to rear airmatic springs during shock replacement

hey

I just picked up my 05 e500 with airmatic from my MBS indy for replacement of both rear shocks. He said the bilstein replacement shocks dropped in perfectly. However, he mentioned that when road testing my car, he noticed that my rear suspension would make noise when going over bumps. He said that he didnt have time this week, but he would look at my car next week when he had time and did not charge me for the labor. Being the car nut that I am, noises, rattles, clunks and other annoying noises drive me nuts.

Upon more driving and research, I think that he may have damaged the rear air springs when installing the shocks. My car did not make this noise before i dropped the car off and I am almost certain that the new shocks installed are still dampening properly because my ride is smoother over bumps than before the replacement. The noise is audible from both sides only during rear suspension travel and sounds like a spring clunking against the top or bottom of the spring assembly.

My question is there a way i can tell if the rear springs were damaged without having SDS? The ride height has been the same prior to the install and after. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions/ideas, thanks
Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 2002. Supra TT 97, Supra NA-T 94, Glanza 96, Starlet 90
get someone else to look at it and probably fast, could be a bolt loose etc.
Airmatic doesnt have a spring in the rear or anything to allow that, so if your hearing something like that i would bet it would be a loose bolt.