Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ml430
Advice on a purchase of a 2006 E-Class E350 4MATIC

Hey.
I need a second opinion on purchase of a E-class W11 Wagon
I won it at a e-bay auction, guy is/was guaranteeing money back so I said WTF.
Esthetically car is 9 out of 10, check it out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Price was good, I called MB dealer where it was purchased, give them VIN and guy from the service was in the good mood, give me some details, all the maintenance was done at varies MB services, all on time.
That reassured me a little, car has high mileage.
After the auction made the $500 deposit couple of days later went to pick up the car.
When I got there it was 8pm but the guy said that his cars are in the warehouse.
It was raining out side I walked in the car is waiting but is wet as if he had it outside or…?
He says that he can’t put the light on because he just move to this location and has no electrical service yet.
So, I had wet car in the dark?!
I came prepared big *** flush light, started to inspect the car.
Took my paint meter (manual) I had digital one but it went M.I.A. (friends!!!)
Paint was 3-4 mils through out special attention to door sills. Couldn’t get the reading in the front, later I learn from your web site that front is aluminum. All the stickers where there.
Breaks where making that funny noise after pumping 3-4 times, later I educated my self… its OK
Engine at idle was loud in a direct injection kind of way, but not as loud as Audi DJ. I know that in 2006 MB started to do DJ on some of E350. HOW I can tell? Some thing in the VIN?
As I am backing out of the garage the engine check light comes on the one in the clock dial, no messages in the speedo. Told the guy, he give me the usual “no big deal my mechanic can check that out for you and fix it. It shouldn’t be more then $300 I will pay for it.” I told him I am not taking the car until this gets resolved. That was two day ago, now I don’t know if I want the car.
Second thing that worries me is that the title that he waned to give me (+bill of sale) is for Thompson Auto Group out of Doylestown, PA. I won the auction from Autobargainz, he told me to make the Bank check payable to Superior Auto.
Just for kickers I found the same car with the same VIN for sale on Craigslist by Auto Source http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1636568929.html
1. Is it just me or this car is some sort of hot potato?
2. Is it legal to swap cars like that with out paper work?
Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 AM

205, 211 V8 4M, B7 /RS4, e30 ///M3
the same car is still for sale? well maybe u better jump in n tell the guy b4 he tries n sells it on craigslist. on the other hand, if u dont pay him, he can fill a complaint with ebay to get the money. if he fixes the car, and the next time u go back, its fine. then i dont see y u wouldnt wanna buy it.

It is a great deal!
Old 03-16-2010, 02:46 AM

1999 ml430
Good price is not everything

Good price is not everything, this could be a very, very expensive car to maintain.
What if his mechanic erases the code, check engine light goes away, but it will be back week later. Then I am F...., car was sold "as is"!
I am not to concern about the feedback, guy is "title jumping" which is not to legal, lets just say he was not to scrupulous in his description of the vehicle's ownership in ebay listing.
Engine check light came on during inspection, before I took possession of the vehicle, in the description he says that he is purchasing the cars from dealers, B.S.
He is selling somebodies inventory at the very best and it's OK, but by law he obligated to full disclosure to the Buyer in the ebay listing!!! that the law.
In some odd way I like the guy, hassles, works hard, its not easy business.
Lets not get bend out of shape over this.
Anyway, my attorney is reviewing the whole thing...
I am sure that this will be all sorted it out.

P.S. It's a F.... shame, the car looks beautiful the price is right, but MB dose not make "over-engineered" cars no more. If this was twenty years ago I would be sure that I have a German tank good for 500,000.- miles.
'Nevermore'

Last edited by halfamegamiles; 03-16-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
plenty of other e350 4matics out there. I'd try and get my $$ back on this one and get another one.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Having Trouble Also

I purchased a used 07 E550 4matic three weeks and it's driving me crazy.

Problems to-date:

Replace the transfer case (there is a known problem that MB will only fix if you bring it to their attention, in my case the wheels would slide/skip across the pavement durinfg a sharp turn)

Oxygen sensors, front was mis-wired and contacted the drive shaft (check engine light)

Oxygen sensors, two rear O2 sensors are stuck (check engine light)

Three trips to dealer so far to r and r under warranty.