E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

mbrace anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 e350 sienna black; AMG pkg
mbrace anyone?

Does anyone subscribe to MB's mbrace program? We have OnStar on my wife's car and she uses it all the time. I commute long distances and am thinking it wouldn't hurt to have something like OnStar in the MB.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
My car came with TeleAid service in 2007 which was a crappy run service. I went with the new MBrace service in Dec 09. It required a software update to the car.

The later the model of your car, the more MBrace can do for you in your car. For what it cost me(They were running a "life of the car" promotion when the service was launched) I'll keep it. THEY are well run.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Could you be specific as to why ATX Group (TeleAid) is a "crappy run service" compared to Hughes Telematics Inc (MBrace.)?

ATX is the BMW, Toyota/Lexus, Rolls-Royce, and MB (Canada) telematics provider. ATX was the first telematics company and was started in 1994 with Ford as their first customer. It's also the largest. OnStar bought their technology from ATX.

Hughes is a new kid on the block with not as much experience (formed in 2006.) MB is their second customer (Chrysler was their first in 2007.) MB actually made the switch in 2007 (to be implemented in 2009) when Hughes contracted with Chrysler (Daimler-Chrysler.)

Back in 2007, ATX released this press release: "Mercedes-Benz and ATX have simply chosen to move in different directions with different strategies in the telematics markets, each believing that their strategy best serves its own markets,” said ATX president and chief executive officer Steve Millstein. “That doesn't mean our interests won't converge in other markets or at some point in the future."

The only reason the lawsuit between ATX and Daimler occurred recently was over who has the rights to the customer database and certain web tools. But the decision to switch was made in 2007.

Both ATX and Hughes will be highly competitive in terms of service options. ATX does seem to be thinking more of the Euro and China markets, however (they provide for Peugeot.)

As to which is "better" now and which will be "better" in the future is really not clear at the moment. But consumers can decide whether to stick with ATX or go to Hughes. Both will offer you cut rate pricing right now if you ask them.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 Jaguar FT-R
I bought TeleAid when I bought the car and it has not expired. Since they won't refund prorata, i will stick with them. I have no complaints and they now provide POI download since the internet download function went over to MBrace. I have never needed them in an emergency, but that is why I have it. I also have ONSTAR in my GM car.
Larry