E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Navigation??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK500. 1988 Mustang 5.0 conv
Navigation??

I called the dealership and gave them my VIN. I have the 6" Nav screen but they say that just becuase you have the screen; the hardware for NAV is not present. 3800$ for hardware. has anyone heard of this jargon?? i feel i should put in a USA map disc and that should be it
Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
imho, best source for answers is to ask mbguru.com.

Here's one thing he does say on his FAQ:

"Mercedes supplied COMAND without navigation in certain models/markets. The units seem to be identical but have different software in them - and it is not clear whether such vehicles have the GPS antenna installed in them. The answer is to replace the unit - but there may be other ways to enable Navigation - although the dealer can not do it from their Star Diagnosis system."

p.s., check with these guys. I've bought radios from them in the past. Great place: http://www.midwestelectronics.com/mercedes.html

Last edited by 220S; 03-17-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Bimmerbenzman,

I put the navigation in myself. Took me a little bit over an hour. I paid a fraction for all the parts and as I see you have the same car as I do the 2004 E320.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by bimmerbenzman
I called the dealership and gave them my VIN. I have the 6" Nav screen but they say that just becuase you have the screen; the hardware for NAV is not present. 3800$ for hardware. has anyone heard of this jargon?? i feel i should put in a USA map disc and that should be it
The large screen is only the display for all the "COMAND" or head units, and does not indicate the presence of a NAV unit. The NAV unit, if present is mounted in the trunk and is exposed thru the left side trunk liner. Just like your comand unit has a Telephone button & keypad, it does not mean that the car has built in Telephone capabilities either.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 03-17-2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned

@bimmer see your PM!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 PM

W212 E350 P2 AMG Appearance
The retrofit is pretty simple. If would like more details check this link out: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...it-w-pics.html
Old 03-17-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
Out of curiosity, what happens when you press the Navigation button?
Old 03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MyFirstAMG
Out of curiosity, what happens when you press the Navigation button?
Nothing at all if there is no navigation system installed
Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32, 2007 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Nothing at all if there is no navigation system installed

Just wondering if he truly is missing the Navigation or just missing the DVD as he suspects.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 220S
imho, best source for answers is to ask mbguru.com.

Here's one thing he does say on his FAQ:

"Mercedes supplied COMAND without navigation in certain models/markets. The units seem to be identical but have different software in them - and it is not clear whether such vehicles have the GPS antenna installed in them. The answer is to replace the unit - but there may be other ways to enable Navigation - although the dealer can not do it from their Star Diagnosis system."

p.s., check with these guys. I've bought radios from them in the past. Great place: http://www.midwestelectronics.com/mercedes.html
I just read this again, what kind of B/S is that? I mean, the COMAND has nothing to do with the actual navigation system at all. No SDS in the world will be able to enable navigation if you don't have it installed in the trunk. Period. You might wanna switch your "best source"!

The best part is
The answer is to replace the unit - but there may be other ways to enable Navigation - ...
which means you buy another COMAND HU and still don't have navigation but less money in your pocket.

Last edited by Mackhack; 03-17-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:29 PM

W211 Elegance Saloon
Incompetent dealerships are always a good source of entertainment but it pisses me off when they try to rip off uninformed consumers like the OP
Old 03-17-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fortlaudsummer
Incompetent dealerships are always a good source of entertainment but it pisses me off when they try to rip off uninformed consumers like the OP
Nicely said mr. Summer Could just have been come from myself
Old 03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just read this again, what kind of B/S is that? I mean, the COMAND has nothing to do with the actual navigation system at all. No SDS in the world will be able to enable navigation if you don't have it installed in the trunk. Period. You might wanna switch your "best source"!

The best part is

which means you buy another COMAND HU and still don't have navigation but less money in your pocket.
Huh? He said you cannot do it from SDS. And that you can do it otherwise (by installing it in the trunk with a HU that works.) It's a cut and paste FAQ. Check out the forum, btw.

Buying another HU w/nav for the trunk is what he means. Or get the updated Euro one. Cheaper than doing the whole package from the dealer for $3800+
Old 03-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Huh? He said you cannot do it from SDS. And that you can do it otherwise (by installing it in the trunk with a HU that works.) It's a cut and paste FAQ. Check out the forum, btw.

Buying another HU w/nav for the trunk is what he means. Or get the updated Euro one. Cheaper than doing the whole package from the dealer for $3800+
What are you or he talking about? You don't need to buy another HU if you're just missing the nav unit in the trunk. And why getting the Euro COMAND? The Euro COMAND doesn't have the capability build in either.

Before spreading wrong information please check your facts. I have a Euro COMAND in my car and I put a nav drive in my trunk myself b/c that was missing. So I think I know what I'm talking about. And of course you cannot do it with just simply hooking up SDS.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What are you or he talking about? You don't need to buy another HU if you're just missing the nav unit in the trunk. And why getting the Euro COMAND? The Euro COMAND doesn't have the capability build in either.

Before spreading wrong information please check your facts. I have a Euro COMAND in my car and I put a nav drive in my trunk myself b/c that was missing. So I think I know what I'm talking about. And of course you cannot do it with just simply hooking up SDS.
I think there's a failure to communicate. Current Euro for HDD capabilities and DVD in motion, etc.. Then you don't need the Nav in the trunk. He was implying that certain HUs don't have Nav capabilities (not only the trunk unit) because of the Software and GPS.

No one is spreading misinformation, but simply directing the OP to another source. If you have issues then go look at the source yourself. You can argue with him. I'm simply the bearer of the info. Relax.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Why do you need a NTG2.5 COMAND with HDD built in and VIM to have navigation?

And what's about the GPS antenna? He has a 2004 E320. These cars have the GPS antenna pre-installed. All he needs is a nav drive, a handful of parts and SDS access and he is good to go with about 1 hour of work.

Oh, and I am relaxed. Very relaxed...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sheesh. Like I said I pointed the OP to a site that had info on COMAND. I relayed what the FAQ says. The site happens to be very good, btw. Go look at it, the forum is helpful. And the guys at Midwest Electronics are great with any questions and COMAND repair and upgrades.

Again I'm simply the bearer of that info, right or wrong. But at least the OP can go and take a look. Read it first hand makes more sense then me cutting and pasting it.

If you have info to offer, be nice about it and not so condescending to others who also try to help. This isn't a pissing match.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Banned

Not trying to compete either here. Peace 220S!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 & ML500
Since the OP already has a COMAND installed (meaning an AGW should also be installed). Adding navigation to the MOST ring should be relatively easy. He will need the trunk mounted DVD drive, brackets, new trunk liner, GPS splitter, plus a couple screws/bolts. If you plan on installing it yourself, I would most definately read that thread that was posted earlier. It contains LOTS of information, including pictures on how to disassemble the trunk, plus part numbers for the pieces you'll be needing. Also since your car is a MY04, your car should be pre-wired for navigation. Making installation much easier.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Banned

He can even drive down here and I will help him or put it in. Just PM!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Now a 2007 E350 4matic
Adding Nav

I just finished upgrading the Command to Euro and giving me mp3, DVD Video and an Aux Input on the back (original Head Unit had a scratched face, no mp3 capability, no Aux input jack on the rear of the unit, and no video capability)

I added a stalk mounted Sirius Starmate receiver to the side of the console, snaked the Aux Cable to the bottom of the side of the console and plugged the Sat receiver Line Out into it. Mounted the antenna with Velcro to the rear of the back package shelf. Picks up the signal 95% of the time. I can access the Sirus receiver thru the Aux button on the HU. (My other vehs have Sirius, not XM and I didn't want 2 subscriptions.. adding another receiver to my Sirius Acct was only $9 a month)

Next came the Navigation...
Followed the directions so kindly posted on here to install the Nav unit in the trunk.
When I looked into getting the correct new trunk liner, I was told it was no longer available. So instead of mounting the nav on the left side, I mounted it to the underside of the package shelf. There were a couple of screw holes there already, so working thru the speaker cutout, I dropped two 10/24 bolts down, (sandwiched the head between the metal and the underside of the interior trim, slipped a lock washer and nut on.
Fabricated a bracket out of aluminum and drilled it so the 10/24 bolt fit thru, mounted it and added another lock washer and nut, and slid the Nav drive into it.

Installed the antenna splitter, and made the MOST connection under the doorsill on the rear passenger driver side.

Had to drive around for about 5 minutes for the unit to pickup the sats, then all was well. I didn't do the dealer visit, so my directions don't turn up in the instrument cluster, but that's no big thing.. there're on the Command Head.

The software upgrade on the unit had already been done, so I'm able to play mp3s recorded on a DVD in the head unit, and the titles display. Unfortunately, this upgrade knocked out the Hidden Engineering Menu that everyone talked about, so I can no longer access it...

BUT...if I can just find an Indy with the "Magic Box" in Phila to enable the VIM, the kids will be almost as happy as I am now

I'll try to post a couple pics later.
Total cost for Nav unit, Head Unit, and splitter was about $1200

Thanks again to those who have posted directions on here.. sure made installation simple. Can't wait to take the car in for service and see the look on the face of the SA who told me Nav couldn't be put in my 2003 E320!

Last edited by E320 Newbie; 03-18-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

Nicely said. Hm, just take the screenshots I posted to the dealership and they can follow them and enable the cluster by version coding it. It's a useful feature b/c if you don't have a route set the cluster acts as a compass, your head unit syncs your cluster clock and the directions are displayed in the cluster as well. In my opinion the cluster's ability to show you how many more yards, feet, meter or km to the next intersection is a real advantage that I don't wanna miss anymore.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:49 PM

Now a 2007 E350 4matic
Thanks Mack.. I will.

I was wondering about the HU synch to the clock.. I expected it to happen by itself, so I've been a bit late this week (grin)
Old 03-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned

You can enable that as soon as the cluster is version coded. Then you have a new menu in the settings menu of the cluster where it's called Sync with head unit or so.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
In my opinion the cluster's ability to show you how many more yards, feet, meter or km to the next intersection is a real advantage that I don't wanna miss anymore.

Would it be a result of updating the nav unit`?

(Must admit I have not studied the COMAND manual on the above subject, perhaps I already have it built in?)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation??