E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Mercedes E shutting itself off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010 | 06:36 AM

E Class (W211)
Mercedes E shutting itself off

I do not have much expertise in Mercedes cars. I am writing about a problem I had and would appreciate your guidance.

I have a Mercedes E (2007 model) with an automatic gearbox. In the past I had a problem with this car, where after I start the car and while it is in D, it would get stuck in the third gear and would not go into the fourth gear. In such cases, after I stopped the car, and put the gear to P and then back to D the problem would go away. In any case, I mentioned this to the garage when I took the car for service, and they said they fixed it. For a while, I did not have this problem.

Recently I was driving on a deserted road on a rainy day and it seemed that I had the same problem. I thought, rather than stopping the car, if I shifted the gear from D to N, and then back to D, the problem would be solved. Instead, as soon I pushed the gear the car started chocking and it stopped, and the engine shut itself off.

After this incident, the car started normally and I continued to drive without a problem.

However, I am concerned about this development. Is it normal that the car would shut itself off if the gear is shifted to N from D while driving? Is this a sign of a bigger problem? (You can imagine what trouble this can cause in traffic.) Have I damaged the car by trying to shift the gear to N while driving? What can I do to ensure that this problem is not repeated, so that no harm is done to myself and my family?

I do not drive much (25000 km in almost 4 years) but I am worried because the safety of my family is at stake. I will go to a Mercedes garage but I am concerned that I may not find someone who would patiently to a novice like myself. So any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2010 | 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E550, 2012 GL450, 2014 GLK350, 2015 S550, 2020 GLC350e
what country are you in? what exact model do you have? provide more information about your car and you might get better advice.
Old 03-19-2010 | 05:05 AM

E Class (W211)
The car is a 2007 model (post-facelift) Mercedes E220 CDI and I am in Belgium. Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 03-19-2010 | 07:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by aetanner

However, I am concerned about this development. Is it normal that the car would shut itself off if the gear is shifted to N from D while driving? Is this a sign of a bigger problem? (You can imagine what trouble this can cause in traffic.) Have I damaged the car by trying to shift the gear to N while driving? What can I do to ensure that this problem is not repeated, so that no harm is done to myself and my family?
I don't know about your real problem but shifting from D to N would not make the transmission fail and the engine should not shut off in that case. Have you had codes read with Star diagnosis from your car?