E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Crank Position/Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 2002. Supra TT 97, Supra NA-T 94, Glanza 96, Starlet 90
Crank Position/Speed Sensor

Anyone had to replace it on their W211 ?
Basically car wouldnt start, i reset it from battery and waited 30 mins. and it did start. Took it to a merc expert and he immediately said it was this sensor. $400 bucks later and just 1hour to fit it seems to be fine. Have searched and found heaps of people have this issue on older models but wondering if anyone has had it on their w211? If it is a common problem then maybe preventative maintenance is to do this diy when you can rather than get stuck somewhere.

My car died while running so this could have happened to me on the motorway. Gotta say i love the look, feel and features of my e500 but thinking this car that i spent XX dollars on is that easy to break down and not give out codes for both me or on a scanner .......
Old 03-25-2010, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by aintez
Anyone had to replace it on their W211 ?
Basically car wouldnt start, i reset it from battery and waited 30 mins. and it did start. Took it to a merc expert and he immediately said it was this sensor. $400 bucks later and just 1hour to fit it seems to be fine. Have searched and found heaps of people have this issue on older models but wondering if anyone has had it on their w211? If it is a common problem then maybe preventative maintenance is to do this diy when you can rather than get stuck somewhere.

My car died while running so this could have happened to me on the motorway. Gotta say i love the look, feel and features of my e500 but thinking this car that i spent XX dollars on is that easy to break down and not give out codes for both me or on a scanner .......
The sensor is not any better or worse on your "expensive" car compared to the one on the cheapest MB (or some other even cheaper cars). For some odd reason there have been quite many bad parts, there should not be any wear on the sensor and a good one should last forever. Actually there have been several recalls for these CPS sensors, not sure about W211 though.

Buy a good Star diagnosis tester, then you do not need to complain about difficulties to read codes.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:33 AM

E500 2002. Supra TT 97, Supra NA-T 94, Glanza 96, Starlet 90
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
The sensor is not any better or worse on your "expensive" car compared to the one on the cheapest MB (or some other even cheaper cars). For some odd reason there have been quite many bad parts, there should not be any wear on the sensor and a good one should last forever. Actually there have been several recalls for these CPS sensors, not sure about W211 though.

Buy a good Star diagnosis tester, then you do not need to complain about difficulties to read codes.
hehe it may not be expensive to you but it is to me. Also it is newer than some of the others that had the same issue, hence my question. I know there should not be any wear, i have older cars that dont have this issue hence my wondering why this car does and if anyone else has had the same issue on their w211.

Buying a star dagnostic would have done nothing for me in this case other than a nice fat bill because the codes were cleared when i reset the battery. Anyways your missing the point, im not asking for a code reader or a solution, im simply asking if anyone else in their w211 has had the same issue.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:50 PM

03 E320/ 11 E550 Cab/ 18 E400 Cab
I had the same problem on mine. The only thing is the symptoms for both sensors seem the same. If you have an independent that can test it first the replace, that’s the cheapest way to go.