E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A few questions from a new E320 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2003 | 11:49 AM

A few questions from a new E320 owner

I just purchased a new E320 a few weeks ago and have a few questions. Is anyone getting cold air coming out from the ventilation system at start up, especially in the morning when it's cold, and then gets warmer after about ten minutes driving the car? My A/C button is turned off and my '97 E320, which I traded in, never did this. The air coming out was always as warm as the outside temperature, it didn't feel like my air conditioner was on like my new '03 does. Also, is that buzzing noise coming from the front of the car everytime I open the door the brake system or something? I plan to make a list comparing my old E320 with the new one and I'll post it on this forum after a few more weeks of ownership. Thanks for any replies.
Old 03-25-2003 | 01:29 PM

2003 E320
Hi,

You have a wheel with blue arrow in the middle of the console. It shuts and opens outside air flow. See if closing it will gove you more comfort.

Buzzing noise - that's SBC (on of the break systems) charging.
Old 03-25-2003 | 03:01 PM

'03 Mercedes E320
There is a "humidity sensor" in the system that, in my case anyway(standard 2 zone air conditioning), seems to bring on the compressor for a while on most mid-day starts even with the A/C off button illuminated. After a few minutes, the compressor stops and outside air is distributed without refrigeration. My '01 C320 did the same thing. It does prevent any window fogging post-start.

The "buzzing" or pump running sound is likely the SBC brakes maintaining pressure when you open the door.

The way the manual explains it, the blue arrow wheel only lets in untreated outside air (presumably to have cold, fresh air at your face and heated air at your feet) when the system is in manual control, not in "Auto". (On the '01 C, the blue wheel brought in outside air irrespective of setting.)

I hope this helps--I think your car is working normally. Welcome and enjoy your new car!

Last edited by jim256; 03-25-2003 at 03:04 PM.