E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HK FM Radio Static

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
HK FM Radio Static

Anyone notice static on FM band only? AM/WX/CD are fine but all the FM stations have a background static that does not sound like poor reception. I searched the threads and there seem to be some instances of this with other problems such as CD players not working and unexpected power down but not as a standalone problem.

Ideas?
Old 03-30-2003, 01:07 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
I was having static while playing CDs with an occasional "unable to establish audio connection..." message.

The dealer found that I had an internal short in the CP module (communications platform) which was replaced. All is well now...
Old 03-30-2003, 09:19 PM

2013 GL550
I've had the static problem once while playing a CD and once while on FM. Tried changing stations to make sure it wasn't a reception problem. Shut off the radio for about 30 seconds and turned it back on - static gone. I'll have them check it at the first service. Thanks for the info on the CP module.

Bruce McDonnell
Old 03-30-2003, 10:12 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Originally posted by BMcD-E500
I've had the static problem once while playing a CD and once while on FM. Tried changing stations to make sure it wasn't a reception problem. Shut off the radio for about 30 seconds and turned it back on - static gone. I'll have them check it at the first service. Thanks for the info on the CP module.

Bruce McDonnell
Your symptoms sound very familiar to me, except I never noticed anything on FM. When I had static with CD's, I could press MUTE and the static and music would stop. Unmute, and the static was back. Turn off the radio and turn it back on... no static. One time I hit mute and the static didn't go away...

I was going to have my car exorcised! Thankfully, though, the CP module saved the priest a visit...
Old 06-03-2003, 07:26 PM

2003 E320
Static in Audio System HK

I have my E320 in the shop as I'm typing this. This is the 2nd time it has been in the shop for "loss of power". The first time there was no static involved and the Audio Gateway was replaced, search my name for the thred for the information on that, this time loss of audio is preceeded by static that becomes louder and louder until the power is removed from the whole system. This is a heat related problem that has been discussed before. My dealor says that have seen about 6 custermers this week and last week with the same problems. There is no fix per my service advisor AND per the Maintence Tech that I deal with there. Below is a copy of one of the latest Star Bullitins regarding this. Due to formatting and scanning the first part is a bit jumbled up. It is dated May 27, 2003.
--
rT\ Mercedes-Benz (~
'<:::;:~' star bulletin
.~I.
Date: Ma
y27 2003
DTB '
Order No.: P-B-82.60/215c
Supersedes: P-B-82.60/215b dated March 10, 2003
Group: 54
Revision: Procedure Updated
SUBJECT: Model 211.065/070/076 Model Year 2003
Intermittent Loss of Sound
If you receive customer reports in the above vehicles of the audio system having the following conditions with Audio Gateway (AGW) OTC code 0004 stored (control module was switched off due to excessive temperature), the AGW software may need to be updated.
. Intermittent audio
. Audio head unit locks up
" Audio head unit displays "black screen"
Software Update Procedure
1. Verify current AGW Hardware/Software version
Select the correct model Select Control Units
Select Information and communication
Select Audio, video, navigation and telematics
Select AGW - Audio Gateway (MOST network management, diagnosis gateway, radio tuner)
Select Control unit version
rn Note: AGW part number (listed as "MB object number for hardware and software") and SV'J status.
Software updating is possible on all AGW part numbers except 211 820 61 89 (Basic) or 211 820 62 89 (Logic 7 -Sound). If the vehicle is equipped with either of these, then the AGW must be replaced prior to the continuation of the software update procedure.
SW prior to 14/03 on eligible AGW's requires a software update.
If the AGW already has a software status 14/03 and a OTC 0004 is stored, please contact the Technical Assistance Center via authorized dealer personnel.
This bulletin has been created and maintained in accordance with MBUSA-SLP 5.1, Document and Data Control, and MBUSA-SLP 16.1, Control of Quality Records.
~. @ 2003 Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC. AJI rights reserved. Reproduction or translation In whole Mercedes-Benz Canada, Inc. or in part Is not permitted without authorization from the Dealer 'v\Ior1<shop Servl~$ publi$her. Printed in U.S.A. w.wI.MBUSA.com 1-800-FOR-MERCedes