E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Upgrading Front Rotors to OEM Drilled on E500 4Matic!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 Estate Wagon
Upgrading Front Rotors to OEM Drilled on E500 4Matic!!!

Well......I'm replacing the rotors and pads on our W211 E500 4-matic today!!! I'm upgrading to the OEM drilled rotors off of the E500 sport (up front). Lord willing....I'll post the part numbers later with pics. It's also really a blessing that I have full access to a shop with a lift....which should make it much easier.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
looking forward to it!
Old 04-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2005 E500 Estate Wagon
By the grace of GOD...everything went smooth and easy!!!! Below are DIY Pics:

Parts:

Tools I used (no air tools needed)

1. Pulled the SBC plug by pulling the clip upwards:

2. Remove the front caliper by taking out the two bolts in the rear:

3. Use something to hold caliper up (I used a bungee cord) so you can remove Rotor.

This is the tool I used to take the screw out of the rotor to remove it:

Note: Since I was replacing both Rotors and Pads...I just used a screwdriver to pry the calipers at the top to get them off the rotors.

4. Install new sensors in pads (one in each front caliper and one in the rear passenger side caliper..3 total).

This is the tool I used to open the calipers back up to re-install them over the rotors:

Finished the front:

I installed the regular OEM Rotors in the rear, and followed the same basic steps as the front:

Old 04-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2005 E500 Estate Wagon
Oh yeah, a couple random comments:

1. It only took me a couple of hours by myself (and this is the first time I did a brake job on any car).
2. I didn't have to bleed the system at all, and once I plugged the SBC back in and started the car (I actually turned it off and on 3 times without pressing the brakes, but with the motor running)...there were no warning codes. I started the car the 4th time and them pumped the brakes a few times.
3. You will get dirty doing this...LOL!!!!
4. Be careful when you remove the rear rotors, because they seem to get hung up on the emergency brake set-up....Its best to take your time taking the rear rotors off by tapping on the front of them with a hammer and just working them back and forth until they come off. I don't recommend tapping them from the rear, because if they are stuck...it will pull the emergency braking hardware out of place.
5. I wanted to use Portefield pads to prevent brake dust...but needed to do this job ASAP (so I could leave town)....so I used the OEM MB pads instead, because they I could get them today!!
6. I got my MB parts at a slight discount (which is noted on the receipts) since I purchased them through my friends shop!
7. There are 3 different sensors, and the plugs are all different, so if you pay attention, it's easy to put the right ones on the right caliper.
8. Even though the mercedes rotors are drilled and vented....there is only one part number (the same with the un-drilled rotors I replaced). Therefor the vents on the driver side of the car actually don't properly vent the air (if you want to get technical)...since the vents are facing backwards on that side!!!

Last edited by B. Gorman; 04-24-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:10 AM

E350
great write up.

wish i had a parts hookup!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
2005 w203 C230
Great...Looks pretty straight forward once SBC is off line...

I do hate that about the MB rotors...same on my w203!

Hope to be doing this on a w211 Estate one day too!
Thanks!