E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

iPod Integration Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2010 | 01:31 PM

1994 Honda Accord Lx, 2000 Civic Ex, 2003 Accord Ex, 2003 Mercedes Benz E500, 2005 Honda RC51 1000r.
iPod Integration Kit

I need a iPod Integration Kit for 2003 e500 DIY prefer...so dont have to pay that millions of dollars to the MB Dealers.....every time i need a service done....
Old 05-08-2010 | 11:36 PM

2003 E320
You have two options, the MB Ipod Integration and the Dension Gateway 500. I have both installed on my Mercedes right now. I posted some of this information on another post but let me paste it in here.

They both have their Pro's and Con's. I paid close to $500 for the Dension (bought it at enfigcarstereo website). I found the MB IPod Integration on eBay for like $120 and I just had to buy it to try it. For that price? Why not!. I have not seen the MB IPod on eBay again, it was one of those rare occurrences (in case you are wondering ).

I have a 2003 E320. I got the EURO COMMAND (which plays DVDs ) installed because the original unit was an AUDIO 50 (the one with the cassette player YUCK! ). I installed DENSION 500 myself. Took me a bit more than 1 hour since it was the first time for me taking apart my precious Mercedes. It was not that hard at all, but then again, I love to work on cars and installing stereo on cars.

With the Dension I am able to control the IPod from both the COMMAND and from the Steering Wheel. I have some minor problems with not being able to access some of the IPod Menu options. I do not mind that much since most of the time I just like for the system to Shuffle Songs which I am able to select from the limited MENU options I have. The cool thing is you are able to see the Song Titles both on the COMMAND and on the Dashboard.

When I got the MB IPod Integration, I installed it myself also. It took me like 1/2 a day since there are wires that need to run from all the way in the trunk (Main Unit) to the front (near glove compartment). The kit came with a CD that had very detailed documentation on how to install it. I have to say you have to be pretty handy since you have to remove a wire from a connector without messing it up so, you have to be careful when doing it. With the MB IPod Integration I have the same Menu options as the IPod, the only drawback is that you do not see anything on the COMMAND nor you can control the IPod using the COMMAND buttons. Everything has to be controlled by the Steering Wheel buttons and the Dashboard Display. I went to the Mercedes Dealer since I read that SUPPOSEDLY a software upgrade would take care of that but they told me that it was not true, that the MB IPod Integration was designed to work with the Steering Wheel only. Also, you need to have had the phone option activated (or coded) by MB for the buttons to work correctly, it least that is what it says on the documentation. I did not have any problems with that since I already had the phone activated since I have the Bluetooth Puck and base (the Dealer did it for me, for a price of course).

I use the the DENSION Gateway 500 all the time. I like to be able to control the Ipod from both the Steering Wheel and from the COMMAND and to see the Song Titles in both places. To be honest, I was barely using the IPOD MENU options with the MB Ipod Integration since it was taking too much time pressing the Steering Wheel buttons to navigate to get to the menu options. I just like to play music randomly but be able to skip songs from both the Steering Wheel and COMMAND when I want to and to see the Song Titles in both places.

The MB Ipod Integration connects to the AUX connector in the back of the COMMAND and the sound if far lower than the Dension. The Dension connects to the FIBER RING and I find the sound louder and clearer. Dension is far easier to install than the MB Ipod Integration.

Your call, good luck !
Old 05-09-2010 | 01:07 PM

1994 Honda Accord Lx, 2000 Civic Ex, 2003 Accord Ex, 2003 Mercedes Benz E500, 2005 Honda RC51 1000r.
thank you very much handyovi..i really appreciate your help...thanks alot.....
Old 05-09-2010 | 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
i got mine for $150...OEM
Old 08-17-2010 | 10:59 AM

2003 E500
Could you show us how you installed your GW 500. I have an E500 and I want to install it this weekend. Please help.
Old 08-17-2010 | 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
I have the file but too big to upload.....email me guys at ravi1986@gmail.com if u want it!
Old 10-04-2010 | 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by handyovi
You have two options, the MB Ipod Integration and the Dension Gateway 500. I have both installed on my Mercedes right now. I posted some of this information on another post but let me paste it in here.
They both have their Pro's and Con's. I paid close to $500 for the Dension (bought it at enfigcarstereo website). I found the MB IPod Integration on eBay for like $120 and I just had to buy it to try it. For that price? Why not!. I have not seen the MB IPod on eBay again, it was one of those rare occurrences (in case you are wondering ).
With the Dension I am able to control the IPod from both the COMMAND and from the Steering Wheel. I have some minor problems with not being able to access some of the IPod Menu options. I do not mind that much since most of the time I just like for the system to Shuffle Songs which I am able to select from the limited MENU options I have. The cool thing is you are able to see the Song Titles both on the COMMAND and on the Dashboard.
I use the the DENSION Gateway 500 all the time. I like to be able to control the Ipod from both the Steering Wheel and from the COMMAND and to see the Song Titles in both places. To be honest, I was barely using the IPOD MENU options with the MB Ipod Integration since it was taking too much time pressing the Steering Wheel buttons to navigate to get to the menu options. I just like to play music randomly but be able to skip songs from both the Steering Wheel and COMMAND when I want to and to see the Song Titles in both places.
The MB Ipod Integration connects to the AUX connector in the back of the COMMAND and the sound if far lower than the Dension. The Dension connects to the FIBER RING and I find the sound louder and clearer. Dension is far easier to install than the MB Ipod Integration.
Hi all,
I'm tempted for Dension, but it's about $800 installed.
Has anyone heard of this one? I recall seeing it before, but not recently.
Thx.
http://www.amazon.com/mO-MB-42-mObri...6210767&sr=1-4
Patrick