E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Please help, how to torque properly - Stages?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E350
Please help, how to torque properly - Stages?

Hello All,

I am in a middle of replacing the failed ball joints on my E350 and am following the workshop procedures. However, I don't know how to properly torque some of the components.
What is the difference between "Stage 1" and "Stage 2" ?
The torque values differ for Stage 1 and Stage 2 for torquing the ball joint e.g:
Stage 1 = 50 Nm
Stage 2 = 60 Nm(?) - there is a small pictorial here showing some sort of angle/degrees?

Please advise.

Thanks a lot.
J
Old 05-10-2010, 12:45 PM

04 E500
Evidently these are "Torque To Yield" bolts, in which the bolts are initially torqued to 50 Nm (Stage 1), and the head of the bolt is then rotated through an additional 60 degrees (Stage 2) without any measurement of the torque. If you want to be accurate you can get a torque angle gauge for the Stage 2 measurement, but you can probably eyeball 60 degrees and come pretty close.

If you're interested in how these bolts work, there's a pretty good explanation at http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-e...oad-bolts.html

By the way, since this type of bolt has already been stretched to the yield point, it should be replaced, and not be reused.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:11 PM

06 E350
Thanks a lot. This explains the pictorial I saw in the shop manuals. Eyeballing the angle should be close enough. I am going to replace the nuts.