Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 01:22 PM
RAI
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E 500
Tire Recommendations?

I've got the OEM Continental Contitouring Contact CH95s (245/45-17HR) on my E500, and don't really care for them. I find the handling/response to be a bit mushy, the ride over road imperfections to be a bit harsh, and I can't get them properly balanced. Plus, I have a pull to the right that persists even after installation of a camber kit and a full realignment, which I have reason to attribute to the tires.

I've thought about going with some Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (245/45-17VR), and wonder if anyone has actually tried them. Is the handling noticeably better? Is the ride over road imperfections notiecably worse? I've read great things about these tires on the Tire Rack site.

I've also thought about putting on wheels from an E320, so that I can run narrower/taller 225/55-16 tires, which are bound to ride better than the 245/45-17s I have now. Then, I could go with some serious rubber like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires or enen the Michelin Pilot Sports, and hopefully getter better handling/tire response AND a better ride too. Has anyone tried this? Will the 16" E320 wheels fit on the E500?
Old 04-01-2003, 01:36 PM

E500 Sport
If you want ride/comfort, then the 16" may be the way to go. But I believe you're mixing ride/comfort with handling/performance..... i.e., the two don't mix. My E500 Sport came with the Michelin Pilot Primacy.... which handle and ride just fine. They're a good comprimise between ride & performance. As far as the Michelin Sport goes, I had them on my BMW and found them to be very loud and harsh. Performance was excellent, but.... not good for the "normal" drive. I would not buy them again. As a far as your balance goes, I have a point to make. All performance tires get a flat spot from setting. When you first pull out, it feels like the tires are out of ballance. If this is your problem, it should go away within 5 to 10 miles.... the hotter temp outside, the faster this flat spot goes away. If it still feels out of balance, then you may have a bad tire, wheel, etc. Try to move/rotate tires to isolate the bad one. Good Luck Mark
Old 04-01-2003, 07:23 PM

2001 C320
e320 rims available

RAI:

I have E320 wheels available if you want to buy a set. My dad upgraded his wheels on his E, so we're looking to sell them.

They will fit, I called Autobahn Motors (local MB dealer) and they said they are interchangeable. PM me if you're interested.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:13 PM

2003 E-500
I have the same OEM tires that you have, as the original equipment on my E-500. At first I noted a slight pull to the right. However, after I checked the air pressures which were 33-34 all around, I set the front tires at 27 psi and the rears at 34 psi. The pull to the right disappeared, and I have been pleased with them since. I have over 5,000 miles on the car with mostly interstate high speed driving.

They are reasonalby smooth and quiet with the suspension in the "light off" luxury ride position. If I switch to the sport position the ride is noticably rougher with more tire noise as you would expect. However, for sporty mountain driving on some of our roads here, the two light sport position works very well and I kept up with a Porsche through a rapid series of tight turns.

You might want to try adjusting the tire pressures with your Cont's before making the switch.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:20 PM

E500
I have the ContiSport Contact 2's. Came from the factory. They are a little noisy and they have been reported to wear excessively fast but I only put 6-8K miles on the car per year. My only concern is that the car will be totally useless the next time it snows here. I am looking into the Pilot Sports A/S as an upgrade next winter. Haven't decided if I will do the winter/summer tire thing or just leave the Pilot Sports on year round.