E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Who knows about Carfax?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e class
Who knows about Carfax?

Hey everyone I was hoping somebody knows/has experience with carfax. Here is my situation

-Car was involved in a rear end accident
-Said accident was reported to DMV
-Carfax did not report what the DMV had on file.

+Thus Carfax says that this car was never in an accident.

Im weighing my options, but I was hoping somebody could help me along. I dont know if this would qualify for Carfax Buyback guarantee because the title is still clear it hasnt been marked as salvage/rebuilt/etc.

I came to this realization after I took my car in to CARMAX (the dealership) to have them make an offer on it. They came back with an error saying teh DMV was showing an accident in its history.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Do you know for a fact the vehicle was involved in a wreck? It could be something as simple as CARMAX trying to devalue your car, so you'll think it's worth less because of an "accident". Wouldn't be the first time a dealer tried that stunt.

Also, CarFAX is by no means infallible. I know people who have had an accident in their vehicle(s), and CarFAX never had an accident record on them. Why? Because the owners of said vehicles fixed them themselves and didn't involve their Insurance (or any Insurance) companies.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:33 AM

2005 E320 CDI
I believe that Carfax only offers the buy back guarantee in certain instances. Those being the following:

Flood/Fire/etc Damage
Frame damage
Rebuilt/Salvage/Junk Title

If it was in an accident that didn't affect any of the aforementioned items then I don't believe the buy back guarantee applies. That being said, they and Autochex certainly make it sound as though they catch everything. But like the previous poster mentioned, they are not infallible and often times people have repair work done at a shop that doesn't report the VIN and therefore no record of it is ever generated. It's a bummer, but it happens all the time.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM

e class
I understand if it was wrecked and fixed in sombody's backyard.

The reason this is making me so angry is because the CA DMV KNOWS AND HAS ON RECORD THE ACCIDENT.

But when the Carfax report was issued, it said nothing about the DMV being alerted of an accident. There is a form you must fill out in CA which is an accident reporting form if there was more than $750 in damages to a car.

How could Carfax not report CA DMV records?

Perhaps I need to consult an attorney. If anyone has any more info, I would be grateful to hear it.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
There's no denying that your car was in an accident and repaired. That being said, It doesn't mean anything if it was repaired by someone in their back yard either. The guy may be a moonlighting master craftsman as well as a hack.

Most cars that are a few years old have had some body work done on them whether they got keyed or someone backed into a mailbox post or a pole, or something else. Some even get bumped in the rear, or hit even harder. Some owners pull out into traffic, some misjudge the garage door when backing out. That doesn't mean the car was wrecked or totaled. (There's a supreme difference between "being in a wreck" and "being wrecked" as it is called in some locals. Other than Carfax not listing it because it wasn't (yet?) reported upwards & intercepted by them, their omission was inadvertant and not malicious, and their policies will prevail.

If the car drove well, looked good, and served you well, then it had been repaired properly by whomever, wherever... but I can understand your dissapointment. Don't let this ruin your year.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 05-17-2010 at 02:41 PM.