E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Voice Command Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E550
Voice Command Inoperative

2008 E550 sport, the voice command not working, was working initialy, i didnt use it for 2 years, i tried using it the other day and nothing.
any ideas?

thanks,
Old 05-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
If vehicle built between MAY-NOV07, have SA reference bulletin P-B-82.70/675 there may be a hardware error in the VCS unit in which case dealer will replace under warranty.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:17 PM

2008 E550
thank you

i will check, thank you.
Old 09-13-2016, 08:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by konigstiger
If vehicle built between MAY-NOV07, have SA reference bulletin P-B-82.70/675 there may be a hardware error in the VCS unit in which case dealer will replace under warranty.
My w211 E320 Bluetec was built in that period. VC worked fine all these years then a couple of weeks ago (probably following a Service A at the dealership) the VC option disappeared from command and the stalk stopped working.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2016, 01:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Bulletin documents MY08 only. See if dealer will revisit/pull fault codes. Depending on codes, they “may” allow a goodwill repair.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Bulletin documents MY08 only. See if dealer will revisit/pull fault codes. Depending on codes, they “may” allow a goodwill repair.
I wish there was a way to check, I mean the VC option just disappeared 'I think' after the service.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Check f85 @ rear pre-fuse box located by spare tire, and control unit mounted in carrier plate behind spare tire.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
control unit.pdf (146.8 KB, 173 views)
Old 09-17-2016, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Check f85 @ rear pre-fuse box located by spare tire, and control unit mounted in carrier plate behind spare tire.
I'm pretty sure I checked the fuse though I should check if there is voltage appearing too; I'll have to wait till Tuesday when the weather clears.

I have an appt with the dealer on Wednesday in case I can't figure it out by then.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Checked the fuse and it's fine. I visually looked at the control unit, unplugged and replugged the connector however to no avail. It's a shame I'm having to go to the dealer to have this checked; perhaps time to invest in a DAS system though not sure if it would help.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts
'13 E350 . M276
A STAR system definitely pays for itself. I had a similar problem to yours and that was before I purchased a STAR system. What I did was I searched on ebay and was able to buy another VC module for $50 or so. When I plugged it into my system, it worked just fine, and that told me the VC module had gone bad. Needed to give system about 15 minutes to initiate before "newer" one worked.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Stuttgarten
A STAR system definitely pays for itself. I had a similar problem to yours and that was before I purchased a STAR system. What I did was I searched on ebay and was able to buy another VC module for $50 or so. When I plugged it into my system, it worked just fine, and that told me the VC module had gone bad. Needed to give system about 15 minutes to initiate before "newer" one worked.
The big question is where to purchase an SDS from without going over the top; lots of knockoffs available but are they any good. Others please chime in if you've purchased one and are happy with it.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Yes, a lot of knockoffs out there, but mine has worked just fine as well as many others on this forum and others. I would give you exact thread on other forum, but I did that like a year ago and this forum cited me with an infraction. You could get one off aliexpress, by typing "MB Star SD Connect Compact 4." For laptop, I'd recommend you get one off ebay or CL, Dell D630, with 4GB RAM and 2.4Ghz. Don't get laptop that comes as part of a package on Aliexprerss. They tend to be weak performers.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Update

Yes, a lot of knockoffs out there, but mine has worked just fine as well as many others on this forum and others. I would give you exact thread on other forum, but I did that like a year ago and this forum cited me with an infraction. You could get one off aliexpress, by typing "MB Star SD Connect Compact 4." For laptop, I'd recommend you get one off ebay or CL, Dell D630, with 4GB RAM and 2.4Ghz. Don't get laptop that comes as part of a package on Aliexprerss. They tend to be weak performers.
Thanks very much.

Just returned from the dealer and as suspected the VC module needs to be replaced which was also 'apparently' responsible for intermittent CAN bus errors because of break in communications. Dealer wants 1220 + plus 220 labor (plsu taxes). I could pick one off ebay or a wrecking yard but who knows if it works until programmed since it needs programming and 250 cost to program and check if it works? or pick a new OEM one from discounted source for $840 which we know will work. Tough one and looking for advice from anyone who may have had one replaced.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:33 PM

'13 E350 . M276
VC module doesn't need programming/version coding. Once you plug in module, just wait 15 minutes and you're good to go.

Make sure you go by part number when getting a replacement off of Ebay. Get part number off your original unit and search for same. This is not an urgent part one needs. If not found on Ebay now, keep on searching every now and then until located.

I think it's worth taking the risk to get a used part for 10% what you'd pay the stealer, that's my own view. Good luck.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
VC module doesn't need programming/version coding. Once you plug in module, just wait 15 minutes and you're good to go.

Make sure you go by part number when getting a replacement off of Ebay. Get part number off your original unit and search for same. This is not an urgent part one needs. If not found on Ebay now, keep on searching every now and then until located.

I think it's worth taking the risk to get a used part for 10% what you'd pay the stealer, that's my own view. Good luck.
Awesome then there is no risk and especially if it does not need programming/version coding; I'm aware my new local dealer in WA is very greedy, unlike the one I had in NJ who bent over backwards. Dealer gave me the part # I need and it is available from a breaker yard for $185 or less with a 30 day return policy or 1-year warranty; the way to go.

Last edited by pinebaron; 09-21-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Electronics cover removal

Anyone know how to release the lid from the electronics tray in the trunk? (behind rear seat). Having removed the two 10mm bolts the tray is free however I'm struggling to release the two clips or whatever releases the lid or top part of the tray.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
WIS, remove a side panel see attachment. Previous post claims visually checked CU, etc.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Center panel.pdf (51.8 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 09-25-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
WIS, remove a side panel see attachment. Previous post claims visually checked CU, etc.
Thanks very much. I had visually checked by lifting the lid but had not removed it to physically remove the VCU. Subsequent to my post, I was able to remove the lid; all it needed was a wider screwdriver inserted hard in the rear slots and the lid came off. I physically removed and inspected the VC, removed the pcb from the module, reconnected and verified both 12volts and the 5v rail are live; thats about what I could check without internal circuit diagrams etc. All components are surface mounted and not really serviceable though in the past I've replaced surface mounted IC's etc. but it's a delicate job.

At least I tried. I'm now ordering a replacement VC module.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Update:Problem Solved

Originally Posted by pinebaron
Thanks very much. I had visually checked by lifting the lid but had not removed it to physically remove the VCU. Subsequent to my post, I was able to remove the lid; all it needed was a wider screwdriver inserted hard in the rear slots and the lid came off. I physically removed and inspected the VC, removed the pcb from the module, reconnected and verified both 12volts and the 5v rail are live; thats about what I could check without internal circuit diagrams etc. All components are surface mounted and not really serviceable though in the past I've replaced surface mounted IC's etc. but it's a delicate job.

At least I tried. I'm now ordering a replacement VC module.
Replaced VCU with used one ordered online at a bargain price and all is working fine now. Saved myself hundreds of dollars by taking a chance on a used replacement and installing it myself.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:02 PM

'13 E350 . M276
Congrats!
Old 07-13-2017, 02:54 AM

06E55
Exclamation reset voice command module

I've got an o6 e55- the voice command stalk stopped functioning, the car could receive calls but the mic did not function. The threads all seem to say the module is bad-- replace it- I'm retired engineer- went to dealer, they assessed and said module bad. I asked them to reset it -they looked at me like I was from another planet. Did some research on it and it can be voltage sensitive- as these cars get older-batteries go down--long and short of is-found this on the web-{http://bayhas.com/mercedes/w211/contents/electrical/elect_fuses.htm}-Its quasi technical but its the info given to techs at the outset of new models- examining this carefully I found power sources that are not listed in your regular manual- these sub-systems should be reset prior to installing new modules. They need battery power to main modules and specific modules can be reset by removing specific fuses. Long story shorter, i removed the vcs module fuse-it was good by the way- waited five minutes- restarted and my "bad" module was working again- the dealer did refund my diagnostic fee 150$ and we all learned something. It worked for me, I hope it helps someone else--if nothing else the web site I left has the information for every device and locations for every module- thats priceless whether you're an engineer or curious.