E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

1st Thread & Seeking Advice: E320 2003 4matic wagon owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:21 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 E320 4matic wagon
Cool 1st Thread & Seeking Advice: E320 2003 4matic wagon owner

Hi, great board with lots of good reading thus far. Really enjoying.

Looking for the voice of experience from the group here on 7 items:

1. Any nice looking MB rims that fit this car besides the boring stock ones (tires need replacing, 110k miles)? I've been reading about offsets, same size rims/tires front/rear due to 4matic. I'm partial to the wide 5 pronged AMG ones. Which models/years fit this car? Others? Places/links to buy reasonable used nice rims?

2. Need to do some front end work & replace lower front L/R ball joints (way worn). Noticed some cracking on outer CV boot. Inner boot looking scruffy as well. Front shocks weak. Front stabilizer bar rubber mounts cracked. Can these items be done at home and if so, what should i look out for? Noticed what looks to be a special tool to remove nut off of lower ball joint to knuckle. Pull out entire outer/inner assy? Change front axle fluid? Thoughts/advice? Anyone done this before?

3. Dash light on lower right side where clock is very dim. How to replace? Read mention of a "cluster tool" though not sure what this is. I make many of my own tools. what's this look like? Where to pull from and not to pull from? What should i watch out for to do not harm first?

4. Shocks a bit weak around car, all 4. This car looks to use some type of automatic leveling system. Is it a good idea to change out all 4? What's the best way to change out all 4 shocks? Pitfalls? Buy stock shocks or are there better aftermarket ones out there that are more reasonable (not looking to lower car or drive 100mph)? Should i change/bleed the hydraulic fluid located in reservoir under hood? Best place to bleed from to minimize introduction of air into lines? Input most appreciated!

5. Sometimes, when turning wheels at a standstill, slight groan from front of car? Is this something particular to this car? No leaks of any kind, but low hydraulic fluid in reservoir under hood on driver's side. Causes? Remedies?

6. Any recalls to be aware of?

7. Least expensive place (shop, URL, etc) to buy new MB parts?

Note: Changed out tranny fluid/filter. Noticable difference in smoothness.

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts.

Stephen
Campbell, CA 95008
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' E320 4MATIC ESTATE / 92' 190E 2.6
I can only help with #1
see avatar /signature photo. E500 take-offs look and fit great. 17"
Old 05-29-2010, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
Originally Posted by L&N Caravan
1. Any nice looking MB rims that fit this car besides the boring stock ones (tires need replacing, 110k miles)? I've been reading about offsets, same size rims/tires front/rear due to 4matic. I'm partial to the wide 5 pronged AMG ones. Which models/years fit this car? Others? Places/links to buy reasonable used nice rims?
Most E class rims should fit, both aftermarket or stock. Check the Wheels subforum here.

3. Dash light on lower right side where clock is very dim. How to replace? Read mention of a "cluster tool" though not sure what this is. I make many of my own tools. what's this look like? Where to pull from and not to pull from? What should i watch out for to do not harm first?
Burnt bulb. Pull the cluster. You can search for "coat hanger" and find directions. Hooks go on each side (there's a tool or make one from a coat hanger) and it pulls out. You'll need the right bulbs first, which are hard to find. Check a dealer or order online.

5. Sometimes, when turning wheels at a standstill, slight groan from front of car? Is this something particular to this car? No leaks of any kind, but low hydraulic fluid in reservoir under hood on driver's side. Causes? Remedies?
Pretty normal. Top off the reservoir. It's best to use the Mercedes fluid, but if it's only low a few teaspoons I might use regular synthetic from Autozone.

6. Any recalls to be aware of?
Check for rust, particularly the spring perches.

7. Least expensive place (shop, URL, etc) to buy new MB parts?
Parts.com or Autohausaz.com
Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2003 E320 4matic wagon
Thank you for the input. steve