E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How to skip through preset radio channels on steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 Mercedes E320
Capt Mike is testing it correctly. If you hit the wheel button after it gets to what shows as preset 0, then it should go back to preset 1. He's testing under the assumption that there will be another strong-enough station above the preset 0's frequency to bring up something that's not in presets. What you put in your presets is not the issue, what it does after #0 is.
Old 06-05-2003, 02:33 PM

demo benz
i just did . its blank .
Old 06-05-2003, 02:39 PM

2003 E320
Damian L

I hope that your getting the point now...I had thought that the this "test" procedure would seem logical once you thought about it.

If you are now getting "it's blank" AFTER you have completed the procedure in my prievious post then you CANNOT scroll presets form you wheel. You can only scrool Freqs. from you wheel.

hope this helps

Mike
Old 06-05-2003, 04:45 PM

E500 Sport
Well, I did the test against my current "Preset" settings. This time, I did all presets vs. a subset.

I WAS WRONG when I stated before that my scrolling scrolls through the presets (which implied Presets ONLY). What I mean is, In my subset test, I just got lucky that the scrolling happened to show my presets in order, e.g.., FM6, FM7, FM8...

In the last test (today.... 5 min's ago) I set the station to "FM1". I then hit the up arrow on the steering wheel and it went to "FM" (no number) and the next avail "seek" station. I hit the Up arrow again and it went to "FM" and the next seek station. Hit the Up arrow again and it went to "FM2" a preset. I think you all get the idea here. When I finally got to "FM0" (which was a preset), I hit the Up arrow and did a seek to the next station, etc. until I finally got back to "FM1".

So, the morral of the story, or at the least the Scrolling Function of the Up and Down Arrows on the steering wheel is, I firmly believe NO ONE can scroll with the steering wheel Up/Down arrows and only go to the "Presets", i.e., FM1 through FM0.

I believe the Up/Down arrow scrolling is NO Different then hitting the Seek + or -. When the seek happens to match a "Preset" station, then it shows up the preset number setting (e.g., FM3). When a Seek doesn't show match a "Preset" then the display just show "FM" and no number. In all cases, the Freq. of the seek station shows. Mark

PS: to those others, who like me, thought the scroll was presets only, please validate my findings.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:31 PM

E500 Sport
PS: to my reply above.

The MB manual does in fact state, and I quote, pg.127, center top...."Press the down or up arrow repeatedly until the desired station is found."

No were does it mention presets and, in fact, it sounds like a "Seek" funciton because Seek scans for Stations. Also, if you're out of you "local" radio area, you'd want it to seek and not scroll through preset stations that wouldn't be there anyways!

My $0.02.... Mark
Old 06-06-2003, 06:53 PM

2003 E320
Mark

Your right on the mark.

Mike
Old 06-06-2003, 07:43 PM

one of seven
Mark,

I'll second that ........ you are right!!

Mike#2
Old 06-06-2003, 07:59 PM

Another E (W211) mystery resolved.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:38 AM

E500 Sport
Originally posted by Legacy
Another E (W211) mystery resolved.
I hope so..... But I'd like to hear one more opinion from....

STKLAW.

You said your's scrolled through the presets. Do you agree with the accessment I made above, i.e., the up/down arrows are really a seek +/- function?

Thanks Mark
Old 06-07-2003, 10:34 AM

2010 E550
I thought mine were preset. Come to find out all I had done is push on "auto station" and loaded up the strongest stations. I don't know if this was really a preset. With the arrows on the dash I could then go from station to station. Then when I used the arrows on the wheel it went from station to station but I'm not sure it was the same stations that were set with auto. I thought they were and they were preset. But when I use the wheel arrows it just says "FM" so I guess that was not "presetting the stations. I'll figure out how to set the presets and then set one of them for a frequency that has no signal and see if it goes to the set stations as well as the "no signal" frequency. I'll let you know but I suspect that you have figured the whole thing out and you are right.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:01 PM

2010 E550
TEST DONE

Well, I set some presets. Purposely setting a very low frequency station on 1 and a high frequency station on 2. The arrows on the wheel did not go from station 1 to station 2. The stations went on seek mode.

I also looked at the separate book for the audio system and could find no reference to tuning to the presents from the wheel.

I'm convinced I was wrong. I do believe it wouldn't be a difficult matter to have the radio capable of tuning through the presets OR seeking from the wheel. Seems this would have to be an either/or situation but at least we could make the decision not MB.

BTW, while playing with the radio I found the adjustment for night, day and automatic for the display. Pretty cool.
Old 06-07-2003, 12:52 PM

E500 Sport
OKay ....... Now this case is closed. It's a long thread, but we all did accomplish an ending!

Now, on to new threads. Mark
Old 06-09-2003, 02:22 AM

one of seven
Amen .......... the fat lady has sung!!
Old 06-16-2003, 10:57 AM

But

I still want to be able to scroll through pre-sets. No one can do it, but is there any word on an upgrade? They should add an option in the computer, how hard could it be?
Old 06-16-2003, 12:49 PM

2010 E550
Would you rather do that than scroll through available stations? I don't think you could get both without some major mods in the instrument cluster computer to give you an option to set it which ever way you wanted.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:53 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that others said "case closed" but I meant that I still want to know if there is any news on an update.

I don't want to be able to scroll through the available, I want to be able to just go through the pre-sets, not both.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:57 PM

2010 E550
gotcha, I guess what you are asking is if there is anyway to permanently change the arrow button to do presets rather than stations. Got it. Seems like that should be able to be done to me. It would just be tough to give the person the option of swtching between the 2 since there is no menu item for this.
Old 06-16-2003, 04:51 PM

2003 E320
Originally posted by STKLAW
gotcha, I guess what you are asking is if there is anyway to permanently change the arrow button to do presets. ..

There is no TEMORARY way of setting scrolling presets through the stearing wheel either. Unless of course you consider a temporary way is to just come across one of your presets by random as you hit the up/dowm arrow button on the wheel, ie: scanning.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:30 PM

2007 E350 Sport Package
My understanding from my delaer is that this is a flaw of the harmon Kardon system (E Classs only; S Class has the Bose). no idea if software fix is possible or in the works.
Old 06-19-2003, 09:17 PM

2003 E320
Yes, I agree
Old 07-25-2003, 05:00 PM

Any updates from anyone here?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
The setting in the instrument cluster which comes standard in most MB models that make it possible to set the search feature to preset stations or to frequency is a variable setting in the instrument cluster that can be activated by mercedes with stardiagnose.

I activated that feature in my friend;s 2003 E55 with retrofitted comand 2 days ago and it is a setting in every W211 instrument cluster that is switched off from factory.
Any mercedes dealership can activate this variable setting to make it come up in your instrument cluster BUT...it doesn't make a difference...even when it is set to go through the preset stations - it keeps going through the frequencies...

greetingz,
Old 04-20-2004, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by MBenzNL
The setting in the instrument cluster which comes standard in most MB models that make it possible to set the search feature to preset stations or to frequency is a variable setting in the instrument cluster that can be activated by mercedes with stardiagnose.

I activated that feature in my friend;s 2003 E55 with retrofitted comand 2 days ago and it is a setting in every W211 instrument cluster that is switched off from factory.
Any mercedes dealership can activate this variable setting to make it come up in your instrument cluster BUT...it doesn't make a difference...even when it is set to go through the preset stations - it keeps going through the frequencies...

greetingz,
I am a little confused .

I think you are saying that any dealership can activate a setting to allow access to the presets thru the steering wheel.

but....then you say that it doesn't work?

Are we now back to the fact that you can't access the presets from the steering wheel even if you have the dealer change the settings with the StarDiagnostics?
Old 04-22-2004, 06:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by etenn
I think you are saying that any dealership can activate a setting to allow access to the presets thru the steering wheel.

but....then you say that it doesn't work?
exactly...it doesn't matter wether the setting in the IC is set to frequency or preset - the steering wheel controls keep searching on frequency even with the setting on presets...meaning that the system hasn't got this figured out which is the reason why the default IC setting has this feature switched off.

greetingz,
Old 04-22-2004, 06:21 PM

2003 E320
So?

Why waist the energy on this if you still can't get to home base?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to skip through preset radio channels on steering wheel?