E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Number Plate question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 320
Question Number Plate question

Just received my number plates on the E 320. Easy to fix the rear. Any suggestions on fixing the front ones? Will the dealer fix it for you or easy to put holes in the new car????
Old 04-05-2003, 08:27 AM

Re: Number Plate question

Originally posted by IQguy
Just received my number plates on the E 320. Easy to fix the rear. Any suggestions on fixing the front ones? Will the dealer fix it for you or easy to put holes in the new car????
Umm...there should be holes in the right places for the front license plates. If you don't see them, the dealer should install the plates for you anyway. Just make sure they don't put on the annoying frame that gives them free advertising and usually hides a logo or two on the plate itself.
Old 04-05-2003, 04:14 PM

W211 & Q7
IQguy,

ask your dealer to do it for you.

my dealer forgot installing it for me and I installed the front plate holder by myself but you must have the front plate holder which matches your car color, if you don't have this one, ask your dealer to mail you one and don't forget to ask for screws as well. (the plate holder is the one on top of your front bumper, you may find it in your trunk inside the spare tire) of course, as monakh suggested, take away the dealer's advertisements from your car.

Otto
Old 04-06-2003, 12:19 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Did you guys have "holes" in the front bumper for the plates?

I never saw any pre-fab holes for the front license plate. Then, when my plates came in, I was faced with the nasty decision of going without the front plate and risking the inconvenience of a ticket, or having holes drilled into the bumper of my BRAND NEW CAR to attach the front plate and holder!

Anyhow, I decided to let the dealer install the front plate with matching body color holder (Plat. Blue). It actually doesn't look all that bad... but, of course, it looked much better without the plate.

Oh well...
Old 04-06-2003, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
You should have looked for a holder that does not require drilling holes and kept it in the trunk. If you ever get stopped for not having a front plate, simple pull it out of th trunk and stick it on. After the threat has gone, put the plate back where it belongs - In the trunk!
Old 04-07-2003, 03:58 PM

E 320
Smile Plates on or not???optional???

I do have the matching holder for the front plates. I now have the number plate also. But I thought it was mandatory in California where I am to put the front plates. (Not optional according to the DMV paper that comes with registration)

To install the front plates holder on the front of the car, dealer will have to drill holes in the new car.....(ouch...) but I do not think there is another option.

My question was for owners:
Did your dealer install it for you?
or
should I feel ashamed going to the dealer for such small a thing?

(I do not want to create a scratch on the new E.....)
Old 04-07-2003, 05:26 PM

I live in California also... I had a '97 Toyota Supra, which if you know what the front bumper looks like, it not only needs to be drilled but it completely ruins the aerodynamic, clean looks of the front. I found it offensive that CA requires you to put a front plate on in such bad taste... So I told the dealer not to drill the bumper and just give me the bracket (I left the bracket in the garage...)

I drove around for 6 years with the intent that if I ever got stopped and given a fix it ticket, I would install the bracket then (I believe in CA there is no fine, but they give you a ticket which can be cleared only by having the plate installed and then bringing it to the DMV...)

Guess what? I had gotten speeding tickets in that car, but I never got a fix it ticket and no police officer ever noticed there was no front plate...

If there's a place for a front plate on the car, I of course put the front plate on... but if there is no place on the car, and you have to drill holes to install a plate, I say, drive without a front plate...

I never understood this stupid law anyway... what is the point? Are they afraid you're going to rob a bank and drive away from the crime scene in REVERSE? What, they don't want the city meter maids to go ALL THE WAY to the BACK of the car to read off the license plate when issuing parking tickets?

Front plates are assinine to begin with...

-NavNut
Old 04-07-2003, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Reasons to move to Florida:

1) No snow
2) No front license plates
3) No state income tax
4) You can drive a convertible 12 months a year
Old 04-07-2003, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-500
Originally posted by Dr Chill

1) No snow
3) No state income tax
but...you may have a problem with your chads hanging..
Old 04-08-2003, 12:50 AM

2010 E550
Now this will tell you how things are here in the land of Oz. If you have regular plates then you need only have one on the back of the car. If you have "personalized" plates (I do) you are given and required to display both fron and back. In our dear state just accross the line (Missouri) you are required to have front and back plates. Almost all the dealerships in the KC metro area drill and mount front license plate brackets as a matter of course. I learned a long time ago to tell them (usually in writing so I can require them to redo the bumper if they screw up) not to drill the bumper. I have been driving around with the front plate in my trunk since '87 and even though have received tickets no cop ever noticed.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:30 PM

W211 & Q7
IQguy,

Did your dealer install it for you?
or
should I feel ashamed going to the dealer for such small a thing?
You dealer should install it for you because you bought the car from them. Don't be shame on asking this service. What you can do is waiting for your first service and ask them to do it. (save a trip)

Otto
Old 06-26-2004, 02:47 PM

E55
Originally posted by E55AMG99
You should have looked for a holder that does not require drilling holes and kept it in the trunk. If you ever get stopped for not having a front plate, simple pull it out of th trunk and stick it on. After the threat has gone, put the plate back where it belongs - In the trunk!
I cannot find such holder. Can you help point me in the right direction?
Old 06-27-2004, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1951 Caterpiller D6
I don't recall where I saw it but someone makes a holder with soft metal tabs that are covered in felt. The car dealers use them to hold their dealer plates.

I usually put my plate on the dash when parkin gon the street. In Calif the law does not specify how the plate is attached onlythat it be displayed forward.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally Posted by Dr Chill

1) No snow
3) No state income tax
More importantly...5) NO HELMET LAW....

I told the dealer not to drill my car for the front plate. So far no problems and will deal with it if I happen to get a cop with lots of time on his hands....