E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Service B changed to Service D after dealer visit..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 06:33 AM

Received 118 Likes on 76 Posts
2019 E-450 Wagon
Service B changed to Service D after dealer visit..

Had the Wagon in the shop for front Airmatic strut replacement and an A/C problem (Heat exchanger valve)
Also a "multi-point inspection" and an attempted but not succesful update of the COMAND system. ($4,800.00 total)

Before I dropped the car off the onboard "service reminder" said B service in 3000 miles.
When I get the Wagon back it says D service in 24 days.

So....What happened? Did they reset something?
IF they did an oil/filter change during that "multi point" inspection, would that constitute a B service...Even so, C should be next, NOT D.

Anybody..?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:57 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
Plot thickens..

Got into the service meny with directions from the Konigstiger:

Switch ignition on (position one)
Outside temperature display
Press the trip odometer reset knob three times consecutively (voltage display appears)
Select the Service menu with the + or – button
Service indicator displays items (1 – 14)
Press the menu systems button until the outside temperature display appears
Found: + 3002 to next service
+ 22 days to Service

D and B is the same then...?

Looked thru my manuals and paperwork and realize I am missing the Maintenance Manual, hence no immediate reference to the MB Service Mystery..

Did find out however that oil changes hould be done every 13,000 miles.
Also found out that MB of Fort Lauderdale did an oil change during a multi- point inspection 10-22-2009, or 6000 miles ago. Guess they did not change the filter and therefore it was not a real B Service. (?)

Digging deeper in the documentation I found a B Service was performed at a non-MB dealer, (Ogden Motorcar, inc in Chicago) 7-30-2009, 500 miles and 3 months before the above MB oil change. (And before I bought the Wagon)

Sooo, I guess the system was not re-set and I am due for an annual B Service based on the non MB B service..?

(Is it once a year or 13K miles, whichever comes first...?)

With an aftermarket extended warranty, (Easy Care), do I need to have the MB dealer or Indy shop do the B service, or can I do it myself without voiding the warranty..?

Thanks for help, this board has been great for tech stuff...
Old 07-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 Elegance Saloon
I believe part of your confusion may lie in the assumption that service indicators follow alphabetically. This is not the case and service letter iindicated may change due to driving, mileage and numerous other factors than which letter service was last done.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:36 PM

2019 E-450 Wagon
I believe part of your confusion may lie in the assumption that service indicators follow alphabetically. This is not the case and service letter iindicated may change due to driving, mileage and numerous other factors than which letter service was last done.
You are correct Sir, I assumed a few things due to the missing Maintenance Manual...Will look at ebay for one.

The car was at the MB dealer 16 days for strut replacments, B Service going in, coming out it had changed to the Big D.

Wonder if some of the techs took the wagon out for test drives, then hot-dogged it? (Assuming driving styles will accelarate the D or next service)

Oh well, not the end of the world if I do a B service 3000 miles early I guess.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E500
You don't need eBay unless you're looking for something to put in your glove compartment. You can download the pdf at http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...005_eclass.pdf

If you haven't gotten it from him already, you might also want to go to Konigstiger's Post #83 in https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...211-usa-4.html and download the FSS 04maint.pdf