E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Random Stalling (Engine turns off)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLK280 2007
Random Stalling (Engine turns off)

Good day everyone, I'm a proud owner of a 2005 E240 with 31,000 miles, and have recently started experiencing sudden shutting off of engine while driving.

I know this problem has been mentioned a lot on this forum as well as in the W211 AMG section, and I have already read every single thread out there about the stalling issue, however almost all of them were posted and discussed in 2004 and 2005, whereas I have only started experiencing this problem two weeks ago. All the old threads have no clear and concrete solution to this problem, so I was wondering if since 2005, there are others who have managed to diagnose and effectively cure the problem.

To the problem now, this happened once 2 weeks ago, once 1 week ago, and 3 times today in one hour. I slow down on an intersection or a roundabout, and the engine turns off. All the lights in the instrument cluster come on, just like they do when you put your key in the ON position, however, there are no error messages or malfunction notifications. I put the gear back in N or P, and the car starts right up with no problems. Other than this happening 3 times today, car drives perfectly and smoothly.

I would like to take care of this problem right away, since 2 of the three times today when it happened I was on a roundabout with cars all around me, and engine turned off, and the steering locked, resulting in very close encounters with a few cars.

I do not have key-less go, as I read that sometimes causes this problem, and I changed my original mercedes spark plugs a month ago with original mercedes ones, just FYI.

So, any similar experiences and fixes in the past 4 years?

Thank you for your time and support. I sincerely appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
check your crank position sensor
Old 07-17-2010, 07:26 AM

Mercedes CLK280 2007
Thanks for the reply! I'm certain it is in fact the CPS now, because the problem only occurs in extremely hot weather.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:00 AM

W211 Elegance Saloon
g

I agree....CPS seems to be a regular, Although not common, thing to fail and you have classic symptoms of this.
Originally Posted by jd986s
check your crank position sensor